Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where is the market for EAA guns?

I'm selling my Witness Elite Match .45acp and I've getting NO interest on my local, and very active, forum.....so, where is the market for these guns? I don't have a Gunbroker account...and no interest in setting one up, but I do have buddies on there... Just kind of curious in y'alls experience.

lol....i have never even been out of this area of the forum! i'll go look there now..

and armslist...i looked it up, appears to be a craigslist for guns....is it legit/safe? seems to be a LOT of spam on there...and some crazy prices too (i guess that's good for me though lol)

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nice looking gun!!

The problem is Witnesses tend to be undervalued as the plain garden variety ones sell for low prices. What you have is a premium gun for which you paid a preimum price. People will tend to think you are over priced because they saw one of the lesser guns in the same caliber for much less on-line. In order to get what you need to have out of it you need the right buyer and they ARE out there just a bit hard to find. You will probably need to go as National as possible with;

Guns America

Auction Arms

Gun Broker

Arms List

I know you don't to start an account with a on-line Auction Site but to get a decent price will very likely take some time and effort. Maybe have one of your buddies with an account help you on GB.

Edited by Lubecktech

I've got an EAA Witness Elite Match .40s&w. The only difference between yours and mine is the caliber and mine is railed.

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine if it were in .40s&w there would be more interest in it for Limited competition.

This was one of the first guns I bought for competition. Since then, I've bought a Sig P226 X-5 Competition .40s&w, and also an STI Tactical .40s&w, both for competition use.

I tricked out my X-5 by switching the factory magwell with a larger aftermarket magwell, and added extended base pads to the 8 Mecgar mags I purchased. The STI I bought used and it was already tuned, but I also purchased a stainless steel STI magwell for it and bought extended basepads for the 6 STI mags I purchased. I've put a lot of money into both packages. And I love both of these guns.

And after all that money I spent on both those guns (X-5 and STI), my EAA Witness Elite Match will still out shoot both guns in terms of accuracy at 15, 20, and 25 yards every time. My Witness is my most accurate, in a very close second is my X-5, and coming in third is my STI Tactical. I'm not saying everyone would have the same results, but I shoot my Witness with great accuracy.

Based on overall fit and feel for me I definitely prefer my Sig P226 X-5 Competition to any other gun, but the EAA Witness is a very accurate gun.

Unfortunately the only people who seem to know the EAA Witness Elite Match is an outstanding gun are people who already own one.

Unfortunately the only people who seem to know the EAA Witness Elite Match is an outstanding gun are people who already own one.

I've got a Witness Steel in .40 and it's a great gun...and all accounts that I've read are that the Match is a great gun. But as to using it in the Limited division - are 21 round mags, magwells, and trigger parts available for these to set them up for the Limited division? I looked into this a few months back, as I would GLADLY take a Match into Limited competition, but I think everyone was saying that everything to set it up for the limited division would have to be custom which would put the total cost up over the Elite Limited pistol...

What have you done for mags and magwell to make it competitive in the Limited division?

Sad but true..

I just heard. My friend won shooting L-10 at a local match this past Sunday with his favorite Witness Match. The kicker is that he was shooting minor (9mm) and without a magwell. :-)

I've got a Witness Steel in .40 and it's a great gun...and all accounts that I've read are that the Match is a great gun. But as to using it in the Limited division - are 21 round mags, magwells, and trigger parts available for these to set them up for the Limited division? I looked into this a few months back, as I would GLADLY take a Match into Limited competition, but I think everyone was saying that everything to set it up for the limited division would have to be custom which would put the total cost up over the Elite Limited pistol...

What have you done for mags and magwell to make it competitive in the Limited division?

Before I moved to my Limited, I was shooting a Match. I used:

Canyon Creek Magwell - $120 -- just JB Welded on, so no need to pay to refinish the gun after welding and blending.

Henning Base Pads - $30 x 6 (since I was playing in L10 rather than Limited). If I was just shooting Limited, it would be $30 x 4

Extra magazines - $25 x 5 (since I was playing in L10 rather than Limited). If I was shooting Limited it would be $25 x 3

Followers and springs - none for L10, but if I was playing Limited, the Grams would be $10x4

For trigger parts: Less that $20 for a lighter hammer spring, and lighter recoil spring.

The Match comes with a pretty good trigger out of the box, and gets even better with some simple polishing. Long term, though, you'll want to go with the EGW sear and hammer.

You don't really need to get the Henning Flat Trigger, or the Henning Sights, or the Henning Grips if you don't want to. They do make nice upgrades.

I've marked the costs in green that you would have incurred anyway if you had gone with a Limited so that you can do a fair comparison. So it turns out that the $120 magwell is the only extra expense on top off a ~$550 gun as opposed to a ~$1100 gun.

The only reason I moved to the Limited was that I figured out that I shoot better with a nose heavy gun, and as much as mass as possible. Most others prefer a lighter gun and so actually cut back the dust cover on the Limited.

Edited by Skydiver

Wow...thank you so much for that post.

Unless I find a used CZ TS at a good price, I think I'm going to go ahead and try a Witness Match .40 for Limited (now that I know the accessories are available to make it work.) Based on your example above, looks like it'd be about $1K to be all setup for limited...and I'm pretty sure I'll love the trigger because I love the one in my Witness Steel (it's just real heavy because I haven't put any lightend springs in it...it's a house protection gun.)

Thanks again.

I used the match in limited without an issue. Your 45 might be at a small disadvantage due to caliber, but use it in l-10. Since I started in production, the magwell was not that important anyway.

I happen to run a real nice match 9mm in 3 gun and dont have any issue.

matt

I forgot to add Henning XL Firing pin under trigger parts that you'll probably want for either the Match or the Limited if you want no doubts about ignition if you go with a lighter hammer spring.

I think that people through experience realize that when you call EAA to try to confirm a part you can't even get the operator to answer the phone as I did today for an hour. I decided to call the sales department and spoke with a nasty woman. When I asked about a replacement part she told me it only comes in blued and not chrome finish. So she tells me just because the gun comes with the chrome part doesn't mean the replacement part will be the chrome fimish and they cannot order the correct part from Italy. This may very well be my last EAA purchase!

Edited by sig2009

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would keep that fine gun you have there and get a conversion kit for it from EAA to a caliber you would rather have.

Yeah, I second that.

EAA, just like Sig, has figured it out. Don't just offer the full gun, also offer easily changeable complete uppers. I wish Springfield Armory would do the same so I could get a 5.25" complete upper for my XDm40 4.5".

Because of the way the uppers can be easily swapped out, I'll never get rid of my EAA or Sigs. My Xdm, on the other hand...

• 3 weeks later...