Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite 9mm

Mike,

I initially bought a Witness Elite Match in .40 for something to use in USPSA. Because the gun is SAO it is not legal in Production. I shot it in a couple of local IDPA matches to see how it handled. The gun was an absolute tack driver. Very accurate with little recoil. The issue I was having was getting the magazines to lock in. On every mag change they wouldn't engage unless I really slammed them in.

I brought the gun to a local smith to see about the mag issues. First I learned that although these are CZ clones the internals are different. While in the shop I played with a custom SP-01 Shadow. This gun just fit me so much better and had an incredible trigger. It was also legal for Production which is were I really wanted to compete anyway.

I sold the Tanfoglio, bought the CZ and have been very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes they are reliable for competition. There are a few world class shooters driving Tanfoglios.

The issue really, though, is can you get support for your Tanfoglio where you live? CZ's are more common, so your chances of finding a smith to do custom work is much higher.

On the other hand, the reason why I went from CZ to Tanfoglio is the simplicity of the internals as compared to a CZ. I like to tinker and the Tanfoglio platform makes that so much easier.

Been looking for a CZ75 lately, but see that the Witness Elite is a clone. Are these pistols reliable for competition, or is it better to stick with the CZ?

It would depend more on the size of your hands. Big hands, go with the Tanfoglio. Small hands, go with the CZ.

Both will last a long time. My 9mm Limited has over 15,000 rounds through it and is still tight.

• 1 month later...