Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready for a progressive Press

Hey guys;

I have been reloading now on a single stage press for 2-3 years successfully and I am hoping for some help. I would like to invest in a progressive press, but I don't know which one I should get, and what I would need. Before I state what I want out of my progressive press, I want to list my current setup and what I currently reload on average.

Equipment

RCBS Rockchucker Kit (press, 505 scale, powder thrower)

9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, 30Carbine, 223, 30-06 Lee Dies

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Redding powder trickler

Giraurd Trimmer for 30 carbine, 223, and 30-06 brass

Thumblers Tumbler for wet tumbling brass

Powders

Unique and Power pistol for handgun loads (I plan on switching to a better metering handgun powder once all that stuff is gone)

RL15, Tac, Varget, and H335 for rifle powders

H110 for 30carbine

Primers

standard CCI, Wolf, and Winchester pistol and rifle primers

Other Things I wanted to point out

I currently use the perfect powder measure for unique, power pistol, and H110. It's not the best and a lot of powder (especially unique) leaks out of the thrower when I use it.

The rifle powders get thrown with the RCBS thrower. It works better, but I still usually have to adjust it alot and trickle some powder into the 505 pan from the redding.

Some calibers I plan on eventually reloading in addition to the ones I listed above are 9mm Makarov, 7.62x39mm, and .308. I don't own any dies or firearms yet in this caliber, but I plan on getting some.

What I am looking for

I would like to get a progressive press to make all my handgun reloads and also to make 223 reloads for plinking/practice. I don't shoot 30-06 that much, so I can always use the rockchucker for that. I also plan on continuing to use the rockchucker to reload my precision 223 loads for the Highpower service rifle league I shoot in as I load up 24 grains (max) behind 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierras and due to being at max I like to weigh each round one at a time. But making my handgun and 55gr 223 plinking rounds via the rockchucker is getting tedious. I am lucky if I can make 100 rounds a month for pistols, and it seems I never can find the time to make some plinking 223 rounds. I'd also like to shoot my m1 carbine more, but again it is hard to find the time to make the rounds on the rockchucker.

So there it is, I am asking all of you for your input on what I should get. I would like to use as much of my existing equipment as possible, but I realize I will need to spend some cash and I am ready to do so. I also realize that I will need to make a new workbench in my basement, as my first bench isn't going to be big enough. I am ready to buy once cry once, so let's here what you guys have to say on what would be best for me.

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate all your help and advice.

Thanks,

Mav

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys;

I have been reloading now on a single stage press for 2-3 years successfully and I am hoping for some help. I would like to invest in a progressive press, but I don't know which one I should get, and what I would need. Before I state what I want out of my progressive press, I want to list my current setup and what I currently reload on average.

Equipment

RCBS Rockchucker Kit (press, 505 scale, powder thrower)

9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, 30Carbine, 223, 30-06 Lee Dies

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Redding powder trickler

Giraurd Trimmer for 30 carbine, 223, and 30-06 brass

Thumblers Tumbler for wet tumbling brass

Powders

Unique and Power pistol for handgun loads (I plan on switching to a better metering handgun powder once all that stuff is gone)

RL15, Tac, Varget, and H335 for rifle powders

H110 for 30carbine

Primers

standard CCI, Wolf, and Winchester pistol and rifle primers

Other Things I wanted to point out

I currently use the perfect powder measure for unique, power pistol, and H110. It's not the best and a lot of powder (especially unique) leaks out of the thrower when I use it.

The rifle powders get thrown with the RCBS thrower. It works better, but I still usually have to adjust it alot and trickle some powder into the 505 pan from the redding.

Some calibers I plan on eventually reloading in addition to the ones I listed above are 9mm Makarov, 7.62x39mm, and .308. I don't own any dies or firearms yet in this caliber, but I plan on getting some.

What I am looking for

I would like to get a progressive press to make all my handgun reloads and also to make 223 reloads for plinking/practice. I don't shoot 30-06 that much, so I can always use the rockchucker for that. I also plan on continuing to use the rockchucker to reload my precision 223 loads for the Highpower service rifle league I shoot in as I load up 24 grains (max) behind 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierras and due to being at max I like to weigh each round one at a time. But making my handgun and 55gr 223 plinking rounds via the rockchucker is getting tedious. I am lucky if I can make 100 rounds a month for pistols, and it seems I never can find the time to make some plinking 223 rounds. I'd also like to shoot my m1 carbine more, but again it is hard to find the time to make the rounds on the rockchucker.

So there it is, I am asking all of you for your input on what I should get. I would like to use as much of my existing equipment as possible, but I realize I will need to spend some cash and I am ready to do so. I also realize that I will need to make a new workbench in my basement, as my first bench isn't going to be big enough. I am ready to buy once cry once, so let's here what you guys have to say on what would be best for me.

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate all your help and advice.

Thanks,

Mav

This post should have been titled,"I'm getting a 550b". Your reloading needs are perfect for the 550. Have Brian price this one out for you. Also keep the Rockchucker for some of your more exotic rifle stuff.

I'll start out by admitting that I do not own, nor have I ever had the opportunity to use a Dillon press. I currently own a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press, which I use for 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 special, .357 magnum, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, and .223. I find the Hornady LNL makes caliber changes very easy, and as you might assume, I change calibers pretty often. I don't believe the Dillon presses can be changed over as quickly or as easily, but I can't swear to that, since I have never used a Dillon press. The Hornady LNL is a true auto progressive, in that the shell plate automatically advances every time you pull the handle. In order to get a true auto progressive Dillon you will need to step up to the 650 which is quite a bit more expensive than the Hornady. One advantage of the auto indexing shell plate, is the ability to minimize the chance for a double charge, since the case is automatically moved from under the powder measure to the next station. Dillon touts their no BS warranty. While Hornady for some unknown reason keeps theirs a secret, yet every time I need a replacement part, usually through my own fault, they send me a replacement at no charge, and I usually have it within a few days, which is exactly the same as the no BS warranty. The LNL allows you to use non-Dillon dies, so if you currently own RCBS dies, you can use them on the LNL. I'm pretty sure the 550 requires Dillon specific dies. The 650 may allow you to use other brands of dies, but again, the 650 costs quite a bit more than the Hornady. I believe both brands will turn out approximately the same number of rounds per hour, so I don't believe either brand offers a substantial advantage in that regard.

Both the Dillon and Hornady are great machines, I just believe that the Hornady is a better overall value, especially for the person who changes calibers frequently.

The LNL allows you to use non-Dillon dies, so if you currently own RCBS dies, you can use them on the LNL. I'm pretty sure the 550 requires Dillon specific dies.

The only Dillon press that requires proprietary dies is the square deal. All others will accept any standard thread die, including the 550.

Like others have said, the 550 sounds custom made for your needs.

I've tried to make sense of this page, but I can't. All I see is an never ending list of stuff that you need to get and money you need to spend. Maybe I need to call and talk to Brian or someone there who can explain what I need and what I can use from my existing equipment. Just a breakdown that makes sense of what is the bare minimum and then what is the bells and whistles add on crap.

After you have read through the above I think you will find that the RL550B is probably the best choice for you.

Brian

Again I have tried to read through that link, but I can't seem to get an idea of what I am looking at.

This post should have been titled,"I'm getting a 550b". Your reloading needs are perfect for the 550. Have Brian price this one out for you. Also keep the Rockchucker for some of your more exotic rifle stuff.

So you don't mind the manual indexing? I figured if I am going progressive and spend some money, it ought to be auto indexing. Definitely going to keep the rockchucker.

I'll start out by admitting that I do not own, nor have I ever had the opportunity to use a Dillon press. I currently own a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press, which I use for 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 special, .357 magnum, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, and .223. I find the Hornady LNL makes caliber changes very easy, and as you might assume, I change calibers pretty often. I don't believe the Dillon presses can be changed over as quickly or as easily, but I can't swear to that, since I have never used a Dillon press. The Hornady LNL is a true auto progressive, in that the shell plate automatically advances every time you pull the handle. In order to get a true auto progressive Dillon you will need to step up to the 650 which is quite a bit more expensive than the Hornady. One advantage of the auto indexing shell plate, is the ability to minimize the chance for a double charge, since the case is automatically moved from under the powder measure to the next station. Dillon touts their no BS warranty. While Hornady for some unknown reason keeps theirs a secret, yet every time I need a replacement part, usually through my own fault, they send me a replacement at no charge, and I usually have it within a few days, which is exactly the same as the no BS warranty. The LNL allows you to use non-Dillon dies, so if you currently own RCBS dies, you can use them on the LNL. I'm pretty sure the 550 requires Dillon specific dies. The 650 may allow you to use other brands of dies, but again, the 650 costs quite a bit more than the Hornady. I believe both brands will turn out approximately the same number of rounds per hour, so I don't believe either brand offers a substantial advantage in that regard.

Both the Dillon and Hornady are great machines, I just believe that the Hornady is a better overall value, especially for the person who changes calibers frequently.

Which one do you have? Would I have any problems using my existing Lee dies? Besides the main press, what else would I be looking at having to get that doesn't already come with it?

The LNL allows you to use non-Dillon dies, so if you currently own RCBS dies, you can use them on the LNL. I'm pretty sure the 550 requires Dillon specific dies.

The only Dillon press that requires proprietary dies is the square deal. All others will accept any standard thread die, including the 550.

So I could use the 550 with my Lee dies without any issues? If I need help would Dillon help me despite not having their dies?

So I could use the 550 with my Lee dies without any issues? If I need help would Dillon help me despite not having their dies?

I used Lee EGW and Redding dies in mine. As long as the problem is with the press Dillon will take care of you. They won't care what dies you have in the machine.

I'm pretty sure the only question you will ask yourself if you get a 550B is "why did I wait so long?"

Been loading on a 550 since around '87 and am still using the same machine. If it was stolen I'd be very, very sad. If it broke I would not be sad, instead I'd just send it back to Dillon knowing it would be fixed under their no-BS warranty.

BTW - it uses standard dies (RCBS, LEE, Redding, etc.), the manual indexing doesn't really slow you down (If I preload primer tubes doing 500-600 pistol rounds/hour is not out of the question, but I don't really push that hard normally), IMHO the manual index actually makes it easier to deal with a problem or if you are doing load development or only loading small batches, caliber changes are simple and take about 10 minutes at most, and it works great for the rifle calibers you mentioned. Talk to Brian, he will rig you up with what you need.

Edited by Bamboo

I'm pretty sure the only question you will ask yourself if you get a 550B is "why did I wait so long?"

Been loading on a 550 since around '87 and am still using the same machine. If it was stolen I'd be very, very sad. If it broke I would not be sad, instead I'd just send it back to Dillon knowing it would be fixed under their no-BS warranty.

BTW - it uses standard dies (RCBS, LEE, Redding, etc.), the manual indexing doesn't really slow you down (If I preload primer tubes doing 500-600 pistol rounds/hour is not out of the question, but I don't really push that hard normally), IMHO the manual index actually makes it easier to deal with a problem or if you are doing load development or only loading small batches, caliber changes are simple and take about 10 minutes at most, and it works great for the rifle calibers you mentioned. Talk to Brian, he will rig you up with what you need.

+10 on everything above except for the time to change calibers. If you have separate tool heads and powder measures (as I do) , it usually takes less than 5 minutes to change calibers and get going again. With my set up, changing from 9mm to 38s takes no more than 90 seconds, as they both use the same shell plate. As long as you don't have to change the primer slide, its really quick and simple. The conversions are cheaper with the 550 than the 650. You can also use it as a single stage press because of the manual indexing. All in all, looking at what you want to load, there really is no other choice.

Well from what you guys are saying, it is sounding like the RL550B is the one I should go for. I watched some youtube vids of it and I think it might be the one for me. I plan on calling Brian next week, but maybe you guys can help narrow down some of my questions. Keeping it simple, I will just concentrate on 9mm and 45acp. I get the RL550B and choose 9mm for the caliber and then get the caliber conversion kit for 45acp and then a deluxe quick change kit. Is this all I would need?

K12015 RL550B in 38 Super/9mm

20126 RL550B Caliber Conv: 45 ACP/GAP

22058 550B Deluxe Quick Change Kit

With the items above, I should have two complete tool heads with powder measures for both and a stand for each to go on when not in use. I then just change back and forth between the two tool heads and change between the two different shellplates at the base of the press. I would have to manually put each case in with my right hand from a container as I won't have the nicely mounted one, and I would also have to keep another container of bullets to grab from with my right hand again as I won't have the nice bullet tray. I would use my Lee dies in the following order on each tool head:

1)Lee Resize/depriming die

2) One of the Dillon Powder measures connected to one of the powder dies with the caliber specific powder funnel inside.

3) Lee Bullet Seating die

4) Lee Taper die

The only Lee die I would no longer use is the Expander die that usually bells the case. The Dillon Powder die with caliber specific powder funnel will bell the case and allow the powder to drop from the Dillon measure.

So do I have this all down now or am I still missing something?

Also-anything I can do to save some money? BE's site states that instead of the deluxe quick change kit I could go with the toolhead/powder die instead and save $65. I would then have to swap the powder measure back and forth between the two tool heads and re-adjust the throw on it each time. I'd also no longer have the stands. Is it worth the savings? I really don't see any other way to save.

Anything else I am missing or absolutely need to get?

I was thinking about getting a few more pickup tubes for the primers (maybe the 4pack option that has 2small and 2 large).

I'd thought I'd skip the flipup tray and just use my RCBS tray that came with my hand primer to load the tubes. Bad idea?

Last question-if I were to go the 650 route, would I just get the same stuff but for the 650? Trying to see how much more it would hit the wallet to go fully progressive. Again buy once cry once.

Thanks,

Mav

Edited by Mav3rick

Get the deluxe version. Changing powder measures will slow you down and its a pain re-setting the drop each time. For the 45 acp, you'll have to change the primer slide and primer assembly, as 45 acp is large primer, and 9mm is small.

I would spend the extra $155 and get the "As it Should Be" package with the press. It adds the Roller Handle (makes it much more comfortable to use), Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, and Empty Case Tray.

Brian

The Dillon "No BS" warranty is sweet, too. Something of their's breaks, you call them and a replacement comes in the mail a few days later. Plus, Blue Press is one of the few magazines I actually read.

don't much matter which one you buy as long as it's blue--but the 550 or 650 dillon is about as good as it gets.. call Brian and talk to him good luck

Get the deluxe version. Changing powder measures will slow you down and its a pain re-setting the drop each time. For the 45 acp, you'll have to change the primer slide and primer assembly, as 45 acp is large primer, and 9mm is small.

Yeah you're probably right

I would spend the extra $155 and get the "As it Should Be" package with the press. It adds the Roller Handle (makes it much more comfortable to use), Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, and Empty Case Tray.

Brian

Well I like reloading from a sitting position. I do agree about the roller handle, but I thought I saw it being offered by someone online.

The Dillon "No BS" warranty is sweet, too. Something of their's breaks, you call them and a replacement comes in the mail a few days later. Plus, Blue Press is one of the few magazines I actually read.

Yeah that is good to have.

don't much matter which one you buy as long as it's blue--but the 550 or 650 dillon is about as good as it gets.. call Brian and talk to him good luck

Sounds good.

So guys-is my thinking above about what I need and how my dies goes in correct?

Dillon has the nicest roller handle. Loading sitting stinks. A stool ain't bad, standing is what I prefer. Most prefer a stool or standing. I would set the table at no less then 40" and add a strong mount. You can raise it with block if you like. I prefer my work bench at 42". I hate bending over even just a little while I work.

RL550 is an excellent reloader, ammo production is not as fast as a 650 or 1050 that have case feeders and auto index. Consistency reduces variation in OAL and powder throws. I had a prob with Varget (pencil powder) bridging, a friend suggested double bumping the down stroke which solved the blockage at the case mouth. I do this now with flake or ball powders too.

I don't mind self indexing the shell plate, mistakes happen during reloading and I can catch the oops before the next stage. Preloading extra primer tubes will help production rates. Fairly easy to pound out 450 to 500rds/hr.

Get or make a case gauge for each caliber you're reloading for go/no inspection. I make mine from aluminum rod stock and a chamber reamer. Might want a kinetic bullet puller too. I'm using a digital powder scale now, still have a balance beam scale for backup.

Friday nites were reloading/gun tweaking sessions in my garage, lotta coffee, soda and chips thanks to the "War Dept."

I was in your shoes a year ago trying to figure out the "buy page" and figuring out what accessories and funnel/conversion kits to get.

A used unit locally fell in my lap, but one email to Brian and he told me exactly what to get (for conversion and dies) and it was an easy transaction.

Had I not found a unit locally, I would have bought it from Brian.

I thought about doing the 650, but with the 550 I got the chance to learn it slow. If you already are comfortable reloading, the 650 maybe the right answer.

I think it comes down to your comforf level and how many rounds you are doing a month for the real answer.

Best thing you can do is call Brian.