Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Made Target Stand Designs

Mod ... please move this to the appropriate section if this isn't the right area.

I'm looking to built a cheap and inexpensive paper target stand for shooting at my home range. I have several of the tall silhouette style targets and will be using others as well.

Any ideas on how to build a good stand?

Two pieces of 2x4 wood cut to the width of your target (plus a little). Two pieces of lath cut 3 inch's shorter. Put lath between wood and screw together. Center the lath between pieces. Cut two more 2x4's as legs to be screwed to the cut ends of the 2x4's. Drill holes near the ends of the legs to drive large spikes through.

Here's my home made stand made from a 6' metal fence post. Raw materials $8.16 plus a little bit of E70S-6 welding wire and C25 gas.

yup. i made several just like that (i used angle as i had no fence posts.).

any other ideas for hand made swingers? photos please.

thanks

Nice work j! :cheers:

Obviously, the middle crossbar or cross tube in that pic would be 18 inches in length, which IIRC is the width of a USPSA humanoid target.

But what about the length of the two legs?

Do you have a way of staking those stands to the ground?

They are 2' in length. An L shaped stake over the center bar holds them in place.

Here is another modular one I use also. Works great with butcher paper for very long distance targets and backers as you can make it as big as the sticks you have. Also sticks in the feet keep it stable without sticks. A little bit more involved so i protected the 1x2 box with two layers of angle.

IMAG0326.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my home made stand made from a 6' metal fence post. Raw materials $8.16 plus a little bit of E70S-6 welding wire and C25 gas.

yup. i made several just like that (i used angle as i had no fence posts.).

any other ideas for hand made swingers? photos please.

thanks

Here is my home made hill billy swinger and activator target with some cable linking them.

That is a pully from a ford ac compressor and the frame from my old creeper... can you hear banjo music?

post-34237-0-03383300-1342147773_thumb.j

post-34237-0-95647100-1342147780_thumb.j

post-34237-0-96031800-1342147794_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Here's my El Cheapo target stands I built from scrap lumber. All 2X4 peices were 18-1/2" except the one loose piece that clamps in the two 1X2's. That piece I made 18". To keep the center "loose" piece from spinning all around during storage and transport, I drilled an oversized hole in the center piece, then pounded in a long nail into the loose piece that would loosely go into that hole.

And that back "stabilizer bar" as I call it, is just some extra from the 8' 1X2 uprights. The 2X4 lumber I used were old 8 foot long, twisted 2X4's, but since the 2X4's needed are so short, I can use long twisted boards that I wouldn't be able to use for other projects. Because of that, the total cost for 10 of these with the uprights and hardware was 12.30!

I made some nice steel ones also, but I like these ones so much more that I'm only going to make these from now on.

post-42635-0-62088600-1347393359_thumb.j

post-42635-0-88984000-1347393366_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Mod ... please move this to the appropriate section if this isn't the right area.

I'm looking to built a cheap and inexpensive paper target stand for shooting at my home range. I have several of the tall silhouette style targets and will be using others as well.

How about real cheap?

When I need to cart in all my equipment, I use two tent stakes and two 6" long pieces of PVC pipe.

Drive the spike into the ground leaving around 7" above ground.

Slip the PVC pipe over the spike and slip the 1x2 target stick along side the spike.

Cost about $2 per target unless you got a bunch of PVC left over from another project.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How about real cheap?

When I need to cart in all my equipment, I use two tent stakes and two 6" long pieces of PVC pipe.

Drive the spike into the ground leaving around 7" above ground.

Slip the PVC pipe over the spike and slip the 1x2 target stick along side the spike.

Cost about $2 per target unless you got a bunch of PVC left over from another project.

Bill

Great idea Bill. Thanks for posting. That has to be the easiest and least expensive target stand I have ever heard of.

• 3 years later...

Okay, realizing this is a few years old, I have been using the same setup for 30 years. We shoot Bianchi Cup style at 10, 15, 25 and 50 yards. I made a lexan template tombstone shaped and cut the rings out using a jig saw leaving one inch webs in the lines. I use Pilot brand V5 pens with the needle like tips to make the lines. Cardboard is cut out tombstone shaped 18x30 inches. Two 1/2"x5' rebar are used with spring clamps four on each target. I carry a machinsts hammer in my range accessory bag to pound the rebar in and keep the clips in there with other odds and ends. Using this setup, we can move our targets to any distance and we don't make toothpicks out of the range backstops, which are usually plywood around here. If you need a bigger target you just move one rod out and pound it in. I've used 4'x8' sheets of cardboard for long range rifle backstops and taped my targets to them. It helps if you grind points on one end of the rods.

Semper Fi

• 2 weeks later...