Would you pay $35 for a local match?

38SuperDub

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If staff set up the day before and there were 6 high quality stages plus a classifier, and a squad couple (Dedicated RO and scorekeeper per squad) I'd pay $35 for a local match. Heck, take out reset and teardown, I might splurge for $40, but only a few times a year.

We run 5 or 6 stages for $20. Running a L2 match with 254 rounds on 11 stages with standing ROs for $60, so there is a ceiling in there somewhere for a one day local match.

This question has been brought up recently - seems a new range owner wants to have someone run a USPSA match on his range - BUT he is wanting to charge $20 for his range fee - tact on $3 for Classifier fees - and to pay for props and pasters the cost will be $30-$35 for a 5 or so stage local match.

My question - would you pay this much to go shoot a match or is it too much? Consider there are other matches within an hour or so that are around $20 for the same number of stages.

Thanks

I think with all the input you've received, you should ask whether the range owner really wants a USPSA match or thinks that it's a cash cow to be exploited. I have no issue with him making money, but his expectations are out of line with reality.

Get a good idea of the potential number of people who would shoot the match based on other local matches and approach him with a number that would be realistic based on those matches. Also see if you can get their costs from them (might be hard if they consider you competition) and maybe contact USPSA about members in the local area, too.

This question has been brought up recently - seems a new range owner wants to have someone run a USPSA match on his range - BUT he is wanting to charge $20 for his range fee - tact on $3 for Classifier fees - and to pay for props and pasters the cost will be $30-$35 for a 5 or so stage local match.

My question - would you pay this much to go shoot a match or is it too much? Consider there are other matches within an hour or so that are around $20 for the same number of stages.

Thanks

NOPE unless he has free water on ice at the stages and I dont have to tear down. Did I mention the girls in thongs pasteing as well :devil:

$35 isn't an issue for me if there are 6 or more stages, stages are good/excellent and we don't have to setup or tear down.

Right there! And you have a couple of BIG ICE CHESTS full of 16oz waters. And if you want to make even more money, but not ding people too bad, find a gun friendly vendor to sell hot dogs or burgers or something and give the range a cut. Then you can come, shoot, eat, scoot, and look up your scores on line.

Really good stages, that is the deal maker for sure, but the other things, just add value.

Edited by JimmyZip

We run 7 stages at one match, 6 at the next, $15-$25 depending upon club, uspsa, or non-membership status. $30 for a special classifier. Now, if someone else would build it, RO it tear it down and supply the massage girls at each stage (one per shooter) $35, maybe even $40, at least ustil my wife hears about the massage girls.

Seriously, $35 for a standard 6 stage match run by the shooters? Too much.

That's the match fee at Norco guaranteed 6 stages. The stage design at Norco is preaty excellent. We get around a hundred shooters every Saturday.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

For $35 at Norco, it's worth it. The stages are major match material (well, aside from the high round count). No setup or teardown.

That's the match fee at Norco guaranteed 6 stages. The stage design at Norco is preaty excellent. We get around a hundred shooters every Saturday.

And they sell those grilled teriyaki skewers too. Shooting and grilled meat, what more could one want.

Thanks

If there are other reasonably matches nearby (within an hour or two), I'd skip the over-priced match unless it:

1) Is very close to my home

2) Has an outstanding set of stages/props/facilities/staff/etc., and

3) Has matches when no one else does.

FWIW, the average match fee at the clubs within 300 miles of my home is between $10 and $20/shooter. If they all started charging more, I'd pay more, but why pay more when there are reasonably priced alternatives?

BB

Out here in Kalif, $30 - 35 is not uncommon. It's not necessarily the shooting club but the guy who managages the property. But that high price does seem to be uncommon outside of this state.

Yup, the guy who runs the range at Norco charges $30 for public access. For that you get 2 hours on a shared bay with 1 target. That makes a full up USPSA match seem like a bargain!

Out here in Kalif, $30 - 35 is not uncommon. It's not necessarily the shooting club but the guy who managages the property. But that high price does seem to be uncommon outside of this state.

Yup, the guy who runs the range at Norco charges $30 for public access. For that you get 2 hours on a shared bay with 1 target. That makes a full up USPSA match seem like a bargain!

Is that really what they charge?

I can't Belive any one goes out there..

What does prado charge?

What does prado charge?

It doesn't end there: "membership" is $400/yr with nothing but dirt and you do NOT get any priority on weekends! Totally blows. Prado gets $20 for all day.

Meanwhile, back at the thread: Yup, I will pay $35. There were 105 shooters at the last match...

Let me do the math here....

Let's say there are 5, 32 round field course-ish stages. That would be 160 rounds. Throw in a classifier which might be 18 rounds, so we are at 178.

Sticking with my round a second raw time rule of thumb, that would end up being about 2 to 3 minutes of actual shooting that I get to do...

for $35!?!?

only if Hooter's waitresses were shagging my brass for me.

Otherwise, it is literally not enough bang for my buck.

Back in Econ 101, I was taught that the whole study of economics was based on what a rational person would do.

at least for me, the time and money involved in getting to and from matches (cost) versus the time spent shooting (benefit) is bordering on the irrational.

Our range near Waterloo, IA charges $2 per shooter. The USPSA/IDPA Club that rents the land for matches and storage for props normally charges $15 for non-members, and $12 for members per match. Side matches and reshoots are extra. That's normally a 5-6 stage match between 100 and 150 rounds.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

I have at least a 2 hr drive to any match. So if it was local to me sure I would still come out ahead. I would not drive 2 hrs and pay that. I pay $20 to $25 now. One club used to charge $5 extra if you didn't want to tear down. I liked that idea since I could get headed home sooner. 6 good quality stages and I would really consider it.

Mike

What does prado charge?

It doesn't end there: "membership" is $400/yr with nothing but dirt and you do NOT get any priority on weekends! Totally blows. Prado gets $20 for all day.

Meanwhile, back at the thread: Yup, I will pay $35. There were 105 shooters at the last match...

How do they get away with that? I would think everyone would just go to Prado?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know the range you're talking about - provided he builds an adequate facility to host 5-6 quality stages / 150 rounds - he'll get what he's asking.

At $30, folks will show up - they'll bitch at first, but they'll show.

At $35, folks will really bitch, and some won't come, but the matches will still happen.

The key is location. Another 30-50 miles further out from the center of this area, and I'd say he's pissing in the wind.