Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you pay $35 for a local match?

38SuperDub

This question has been brought up recently - seems a new range owner wants to have someone run a USPSA match on his range - BUT he is wanting to charge $20 for his range fee - tact on $3 for Classifier fees - and to pay for props and pasters the cost will be $30-$35 for a 5 or so stage local match.

My question - would you pay this much to go shoot a match or is it too much? Consider there are other matches within an hour or so that are around $20 for the same number of stages.

Thanks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably once to see if the juice was worth the squeeze. If it compares to the cheaper local matches and there are no extenuating factors then no, I'd take my business elsewhere.

CM

For a 5 stage level 1 match. Prolly not. That's only 4 stages and a classifier. Even if all 4 stages are long courses that's only 140 to 150 rounds and I doubt that they are gonna run all long courses. If the round count was around 200 to 250 for that 35 bucks I might think about it closer.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

35$ is too high. From 20 to 23 for the classifier, that's normal. From 23 to 35 for props? Holy crap. That's some expensive targets at 12 a shooter. 50 shooters at 12$ each.... 600$ a match for props?!?! Wow. So 3 matches a month?? 1800$ a month for props and targets? Are these existing targets that need the money for upkeep? Or to buy new steel every month? Not to mention the 20 already for each shooter.... 50 shooters at 20$ each...that's a grand each match. I understand it ain't free... But this seems like a pretty large profit from people that just want to shoot.

Unless my shooter count is way off, some serious greed goin on here....

If the range was less than a 15-20 minute drive and the match had high round counts and intricate stages, maybe.

When gas cost is factored in, I already pay $20 fee+ ~$25 in gas round trip for one of my regular matches (Warsaw, IN), but it's always a good one. So $30-35 and $10 in gas is right around that level.

I would not unless it was the only club that I could shoot at, and then it had better be more than 4 plus classifier. A few years ago at one of our section meetings, we discussed the possibility of raising our fees from $15 to $20. Spirited and informative discussion ensued, with clubs wishing to raise their fees being encouraged to do so. None did.

Caveat for us is that we can shoot virtually every Saturday and Sunday in a month given the number of clubs we have. Shooters would vote with their feet based on quality and price. All of our clubs put on some good shooting challenges, so all things being equal, it was felt that shooters would leave one club for another based on price.

YMMV.

Its to much. Keep in mind its not just the match fee, its the ammo, the gas, the lunch, everything else that adds up. If he has say a 6-7 stage match that flows well maybe but that is gonna be a long day and I'm not sure I want to spend all day for a local match but that is just me.

I dont have an issue with 35 dollar match fee as a shooter IF it was close and a decent match. I would think at least 6 +1 stages. But as a MDI would have an issue with the range owner pocketing $20 of it, while expecting free labor, targets, props etc. Screw that. The MD deserves a decent chunk of the income to pay for steel, targets, cool props, or to hire some setup help. Even if you have "setup shoot for free" help I'd assume the land owner would still want his per shooter fee. Offer him 10 per shooter at the most. Run six stages with some good field courses, some hard, some spray and pray, Customers will come for $30-$35. That leaves the MD 20-25 bucks to cover expenses put some effort back into the matches and maybe stop at Hooters on the way home.

If it was the only game in town, then yes. Around here a 5-6 stage 175 minimum round match for non club members is between $15-$18. To justify $35 it would have to include lunch and a tee shirt.

Thanks for all the input so far - from my understanding - the range owner will do nothing but let us use the land - we still set up - tear down - buy our own lunch - etc etc etc - hopefully threads like this can convince him his $20 is out of line

This question has been brought up recently - seems a new range owner wants to have someone run a USPSA match on his range - BUT he is wanting to charge $20 for his range fee - tact on $3 for Classifier fees - and to pay for props and pasters the cost will be $30-$35 for a 5 or so stage local match.

My question - would you pay this much to go shoot a match or is it too much? Consider there are other matches within an hour or so that are around $20 for the same number of stages.

Thanks

The match fee is the least of my expenses. I have to pay about $100 in gas to drive to the match and the ammo itself ends up being close to that or more. So no I would not bat an eye at that price.

pat

$35 would have to be a damn good match. A typical 5-6 stage club match would be a tough sell past $25. The two I attend regularly are $20. 3 gun is another thing though, I'd gladly pay $50 for a good club level 3 gun.

Nope. Local matches around here run below $20 and are usually first class efforts. Color me spoiled :devil:

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Seems a bit high to me. If there are other clubs around that can do the same level match for less money I don't think the match will take off.

Now if the match can blow everything else out of the water. And the guy is willing to throw money back in till you get a 60X40 prop barn filled. It could be worth it.

We just raised our match fees to $20 for members and $25 for non-members. Our first match with the increased prices we had a record 77 people show up for the match. 6 stages plus classifier. $35 does seem a little high for a local.

Tom

NO

Thanks