Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G'day from Australia

Sounder

G'day guys.

Been lurking around here for a while and thought I should post in here and say hello.

I'm from South Australia and have been shooting and hunting since I was a lad. I grew up on farms around the West Coast of SA where there's always plenty of rabbits, foxes and cats. I've had a rifle licence for over 20 years.

I'd never been to a range until a few months ago. I turned up at the Port Lincoln Pistol and Shooting Club to see what goes on and there was a Service Pistol match on. The guys were great. After a few shots of a revolver I was pretty much hooked.

Currently I'm jumping through all the hoops us poor Aussies have to in order to shoot and own handguns. So far I've been deemed a 'fit and proper person' by the SA Police and have been given permission to apply for membership of a club (being a member of a club is the only legitimate reason for a civilian to own a handgun). I've submitted my application to the club along with 2 character references and have been approved by the club committee at the last monthly club meeting. The next step is to undertake the training course at the club, submit the results to the police and be issued with a probationary handgun licence.

It's taken a couple of months to get to this point and there is still many months to go before I can legally purchase a handgun.

Anyway, I originally found this forum when I was looking for Dillon info. Looks like theres a lot of good competition info as well.

Sounder.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great information here. Sorry that you have to jump through all those hoops for what we see here as an inalienable right. Although we do hear how much safer your country is will all those restrictions in place! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to the forum! Shooting pistols is very addictive! I had no idea that the Aussie government was so restrictive on handgun ownership. What does it take to own a rifle or shotgun?

Cheers Grumpy.

Some of our laws are plain ridiculous. I'm deemed a fit and proper person, I've held a licence and owned firearms for over 20 years, but for the first 6 months of my handgun licence I cannot own a handgun. I must use a club gun or borrow someone else's to shoot at the range. Here's where it gets really weird. Between 6 and 12 months of having a probationary handgun licence I can only own 1 air pistol and 1 rimfire pistol OR 1 air pistol and 1 centrefire pistol. I can't own a rimfire and a centrefire at the same time. I don't understand what they were thinking when they made that one up. :blink:

Re rifle and shotgun. It varies a bit from state to state, but getting a licence for rifle or shotgun is a little easier. Still must attend a safe handling course, but it's not necessary to join a club as hunting is a legitimate reason for owning a rifle or shotgun. BUT, no semi automatic rifles or pump action shotguns (there are exemptions for farmers and their employees though).

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just a short update....

After going through the whole process, tomorrow I should (hopefully) receive my approved 'permit to acquire' my Glock 17A. I bought and paid for it about 6 weeks ago and the dealer is holding onto it until my PTA comes back.

I'll finally be able to compete with my own gun.

:)

Welcome! Sorry to learn more of your gun situation in the land of down under. If we don't wake up we'll probably have the same problems here. Guns have two enemies, rust and politicians. At least one we can vote out of office. Well at least your a "Fit and proper person." :D

• 2 weeks later...

Congradulations! I only have one Glock, a 23 that is one of my carry guns. Here in Wisconsin about 1-1/2 years ago they passed a concealed carry law. I got my paperwork in the first day it went into effect and had my license in a week! My license is #914 and now they are up to about 180,000. Hope you don't have as much of an issue getting magazines for it. Are you restricted to magazine capacity?