Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H&K USP Accuracy

sam sanfilippo

I rented H&K USP 9mm pistols at two different gun shops. One pistol shot beautifully. I had no trouble at all keepimg all of my shots in the black on a bullseye target at 25 yards (a 5" group shot offhand). The other pistol shot a group more than twice as large. I rented both guns more than once and the results were consistenly good with one gun and consistently bad with the other. Have any of you experienced that much variation between two different examples of the same gun?

It could be several reasons. First I would say did you get a look at the barrels and see if they are clean? A lot of gun stores don't really like to clean them, and you are probably using their reloads...sometimes the loads are using soft lead bullets which will clog up the rifling.

Did it have the same type of triggers?

Most likely the riffling on the barrel is worn ... It comes with the old saying " find ammo that you gun likes and stick with it " ... That could also explain it. The one that was grouping really good must like that ammo you were using

I believe that it would be pretty tough to wear out the "rifling" in an H&K. There are loads of other factors besides the ammo. Did they both have original barrels? Did the pistol that didn't shoot as well have a proper o-ring. Were the sights solid? And, as already mentioned, assuming that both pistols were in good/correct working order, the ammo would be a very likely culprit.

I believe that it would be pretty tough to wear out the "rifling" in an H&K. There are loads of other factors besides the ammo. Did they both have original barrels? Did the pistol that didn't shoot as well have a proper o-ring. Were the sights solid? And, as already mentioned, assuming that both pistols were in good/correct working order, the ammo would be a very likely culprit.

The only USP's that have the orings on the barrels were the original ones first out and the Tactical, Expert, Elite, and Match ... The regular usp's currently out does not come with the orings.

The Polygonal riffling does have its issue with accuracy. The Polygonal riffling seems to be more picky with it comes to ammo. For example my HK USP 45 didnt liked the range reloads and wally world ammo but was accurate as heck when I used the Federal HST and the HST +P ...

• 4 weeks later...

I rented H&K USP 9mm pistols at two different gun shops. One pistol shot beautifully. I had no trouble at all keepimg all of my shots in the black on a bullseye target at 25 yards (a 5" group shot offhand). The other pistol shot a group more than twice as large. I rented both guns more than once and the results were consistenly good with one gun and consistently bad with the other. Have any of you experienced that much variation between two different examples of the same gun?

Recoil/buffer spring may need to be replaced if I remember correctly there was someone else that had a similar issue and thats what it turned out to be. Check out wolf gun springs for a replacement.

• 3 years later...

We got in about 150 USPs in 40 cal for work- this was the first duty auto pistol we ever had, and The two armorers and a few other supervisors and I went to the range to fire all of them for function and accuracy. same ammo, new pistols most Vs, some V4. Based on my firing about 30-40 pistols, I would say the accuracy of the ones I fired was all about the same - decent groups . none were "bad". I ran into one V4 pistol that shot incredibly well for me- like 1 1/2" groups. That ended up being mine.....