Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange thing at a match yesterday.

GrumpyOne

So, I shot a match, in an off and on downpour yesterday. The rain did suck, but I noticed something. When it would quit raining, my scores would go down and time would go up, and when it was raining, my scores would go up and my time would go down. The best stage I had yesterday, when it was my turn to shoot, the heavens seemed to open up, and by the time I got to the start position, my glasses were dripping, it was hard to see, and I was soaking wet ( I was mostly dry before this, standing under an umbrella ). The targets had clear bags on them, kind of obscuring the scoring borders, and not all that easily seen through, with all the rain. Yet, it was my best stage with the most alpha's. I'm wondering why?

HPJ's response was a bit tongue-in-cheek but I agree with it.

The conditions allowed you to shoot the stage without over-thinking it.

The rain was 'encouraging' you to move quickly and the rain-streaked, bagged targets forced you to be comfortable with your shots without second guessing yourself.

The rain was 'encouraging' you to move quickly and the rain-streaked, bagged targets forced you to be comfortable with your shots without second guessing yourself.

I can see that... But why did the hits improve?

With the tougher conditions of the rain your subconscious made you focus more so your hits improved.

One of my better matches, I was sick and only showed up because I was trying to get classified and wanted to shoot the classifier.

I didn't care. I just showed up and shot without worrying because I really only wanted to go back home.

I think I shot well because I did not stress out about trying to shoot well.

Maybe you just wanted to get out of the rain and the usual pressures were sort of pushed to the back burner.

Your statistical sample is too small to derive a viable conclusion. If you had shot the same stages in both the rain and in the shine, then maybe we could conclude you shot it better the second time? Ok, lets just for s&grins think it is viable. First who the heck looks a scoring zones, I can see them but I don't ever look for them, I have a point of aim that produces consistent results. I think that it is more likley you are prone to looking for holes and not calling your shots which with the bags you didn't waste time looking at the holes! And I'm very good on some stages and no so good on others figuring out why well that's a bit harder.

Yesterday, I worked hard at not looking, (with my Bionic eyes I can see 9 mm holes at 25 yards), Won the darn match, go figure, no rain just sunshine. :roflol:

Glad you had fun even in the rain. :D

Being a firearms instructor for my department we always see better hits out of officer during night fire exercises. The best reason we have been able to come up with is because it forces them to focus on their front sights. The officers can’t really see their targets and have to actually focus to see their front sights. This translates into better hits because they are now doing what they should have been doing to start with. Might be the same idea for your situation. With your glasses being wet you can’t see as well; forcing you to really focus to see that front sight. With the rain and bags on the targets you can’t really see them as well as normal either; helping you to not focus on them. So…you may have been focusing and seeing your front sight better and not realizing it, resulting in better hits.

I also agree that you probably did not waste time and effort looking at the holes which assisted in your overall success as well.

To echo others, I would think it had much to do with the targets being obscured so that you shot more to the center of mass than you may when you can see the targets better. Not having a clear target, the sights became more the focus.

As a thought.

Guy

To echo others, I would think it had much to do with the targets being obscured so that you shot more to the center of mass than you may when you can see the targets better. Not having a clear target, the sights became more the focus.

As a thought.

Guy

This is for me the golden rule for best performance. Once I learned to shoot my sights, and not a target focus, I found a comfort in my shooting that gradually turned into better times. I don't even shoot a target focus where I can see the holes. If you are not shooting your sights, how can you call your shots?

The rain occupied your conscious mind allowing your subconscious to take over completely and execute without conscious thought getting in the wy which is always slower ...

+1

See "trick of the day" in Brian's book. I'll bargain that the more you shoot in rainy conditions, the worse your shooting will get.

Grunt

With the tougher conditions of the rain your subconscious made you focus more so your hits improved.

Yes. (Saved me from typing that.)

:D