Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pins on Front of XDm Rear Sight loose

GlockOp

I shot aqn action pistol match today and a friend of mine who is an SO pointed out that there were two small pins loose andcoming out of the front of my rear sight. I am shooting and IDPA Match tomorrow so I thought I would get home and see if it needed a roll pin or something similar. basically this set of pins or pin is not in any diagram I can find. I am shooting the XDm 5.25 competition model and all of the exploded diagrams I can find do not show this feature of the pistol. Anyone have any experience with this? The pins appear to be separate and coming out on both sides. They do not seem to be easily driven back in or taken out and I was careful not to damage them.

Your pin has broken in half, it has a groove in the center that is where it is held in place. Inside of the center part of the rear sight is two end pins and a spring. If you remove the pin parts be careful not to loose the front pin and possibly the spring. Call Springfield on Monday they might have a replacement pin they can send. You can make a pin for a quick fix.

Rich

Anyone know if there is a diagram of the rear sight on the XDm 54.25? I( have the broken front pin and a spring, but I think I am missing a detent. or something :-) Terrible pistol to work on, find parts and get diagrams, but it does shoot well.

Mine broken a couple months ago. I removed the pin ends and reinstalled them using Red Loc-Tite in the slide. I contacted SA and they said I had to send them the slide to get the pin replaced. Since I shoot my 525 three or four times a week, I just haven't bothered. The pin ends haven't budged, either.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If it helps the process of sending the slide to Springfield was painless and quick. At my request, as recommended by GlockOp, they fitted an extra extractor for a small fee.

Good idea. I sent mine in to get the rear sight pin replaced. Then asked if they would replace the extractor and send me the old one as a spare. Saves me on some shipping.

• 3 months later...

The same thing happened to me today. A little tape held the 2 pieces in place to get me through the match. Has anyone come up with a fix for this or is the slide going back to Springfield?

Thanks.

You can replace it with a roll pin.

Has anyone come up with the correct roll pin size?

If it helps the process of sending the slide to Springfield was painless and quick. At my request, as recommended by GlockOp, they fitted an extra extractor for a small fee.

Good idea. I sent mine in to get the rear sight pin replaced. Then asked if they would replace the extractor and send me the old one as a spare. Saves me on some shipping.

Did they actually give you your old extractor?

• 2 months later...

The pin is the same size as the pin that holds the loaded chamber indicator on. Mine just broke and there was no time to send it off to SA prior to Area 3. I pulled the loaded chamber pin off another XDm and it fit perfectly (.078 diameter). The loaded chamber pin does not have a detent in the center of the pin so I put a drop of lock-tite on each end of the pin to hold it in place. So far, it is holding up fine. After Area 3 I will send the slide off to SA to get the correct pin installed.

The same thing happened to me today. A little tape held the 2 pieces in place to get me through the match. Has anyone come up with a fix for this or is the slide going back to Springfield?

Thanks.

I think it is a 1/8 roll pin. I have a couple kit of them and one fits perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Did they actually give you your old extractor?

Sorry for a very slow reply d_striker. My slide came back with the original extractor in place. It was accompanied by a shiny brand new extractor which lives in my range bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I think it is a 1/8 roll pin. I have a couple kit of them and one fits perfectly.
It is not a 1/8" roll pin. Pretty sure it's closer to a 1/16". 3/4" long Edited by mpeltier

1/16 roll pin is too small and will not work. The pin is 5/64; but good luck finding a pin/roll pin that size. As a follow-up on my last post, the slide was send off to Springfield after Area 3 and was back at my home with a completely new rear sight in 12 calendar days.

1/16 roll pin is too small and will not work. The pin is 5/64; but good luck finding a pin/roll pin that size. As a follow-up on my last post, the slide was send off to Springfield after Area 3 and was back at my home with a completely new rear sight in 12 calendar days.

The roll pin Kit from Brownells has the correct sized roll pin in it. I'll order some in bulk so we have them on hand.

Yeah, I knew it was odd, that's why I said closer to 1/16".

Loves2shoot, thanks for the heads up on the Brownells kit.

Edited by mpeltier