Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ced chrono

my club's is buying a ced chrono, and I'm looking at the infrared screens

we only shoot outdoors and in a search I found posts stating it's only for indoors, other posts stating it works great outdoors, still others posts it doesn't work outdoors

well I'm kinda confused, it is worth the extra 140 bucks, or should we just build chrono coffin?

Coffin with the IR screens or a incandescent or LED light source. (not sure about the LED setup)

I think the incandescent light source will be cheaper but not sure how robust of a setup it will be.

The IR and LED setup are robust but price wise might be a turn off.

Go on over to midwayusa and look at the other lighting source options they have under chronographs.

Pricing is from 49 for a incandescent sky screen set up to 100 for a IR set up.

Thanks guys

IR with chrono coffin it is, but I' m curious about the LED setup

Would mounting a couple of cheap LED headlamp over the sensors in a chrono coffin work?

Thanks again for the advice

Cheap LED over the sensors not so good. Apparently the way they make the LEDs brighter is by "pumping" them up by blinking them rapidly. Our eyes can't see the flickering, but it's enough to confuse the sensors.

Cheap IR LEDs from your favorite electronics store on the other hand is okay based on my small scale experiments in a darkened room and rubber bands over the sensors. Just look on the Internet for the appropriate circuit design and you should be good. (Basically just need the IR LEDs, resistors, and a 9v battery.)

The CED screens are sensitive to infrared light, not visible; you have to use the right LEDs for a custom setup.

I use my CED IR screens outdoors. I just tape cardboard to the top of the IR source to make it completely independent of ambient light. It works very well! I get consistent velocities and no failures to read shots. It's well worth it to get the IR screens.