Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suggestion to trick out GLOCK 34

smsnyder

I need some ideas on items i need to add to my Glock 34 to make it a good race gun to shot steel targets? What is the most inportant changes i can make to my factory Glock 34 to improve its shooting. Thanks

Edited by smsnyder

Warren Sev. sights is all I have done so far. Been trying to fit in as much trigger time as I can before I spend any more money. Figure if I can't shoot it well enough there's no point in spending any more money. That said, the sights have made a huge improvement.

Good sights (I prefer front fiber optic and rear black serrated adjustable from Dawson Precision) and a safe trigger job (I went for glockworx parts). As much dry fire and range time as posible and you will figure out what else you need... I also put some skate tape and helps me to keep a proper grip.

Why is the 34 considered Glocks 'competition' gun? I see it has a longer bbl, so you get a longer sighting plane.. anything else? Someone above mentioned a different trigger?

There is a 34 topend in the classifieds. it has a cut slide and carver 10 port comp. Maybe he has some info on how it ran?

I'm new to glocks (just bought my first) and up until now I thought they had the worst triggers I've ever felt.

I worked over my trigger the other day and finally got it to the range today.

It totally transformed the gun.

I put in a ZEV race connecter and their spring kit, and then worked over all the components myself.

Any surface that had the potential of contacting something had all machining marks removed and polished to a mirror finish.

The trigger feels light. It is most likely around 3lbs, but the fact that there is no resistance and its so smooth, it feels much lighter.

I may actually enjoy shooting a glock!

I think all 34 and 35 come stock with a glock 3.5 # connecter.

They claim to but are actually closer to 4.5-5.0.

I did everything legal to my 34 for Production and loved the gun. Way better than stock

13 lb recoil spring with steel guide rod

grip plug

grip tape

Vanek Trigger

Lightened and lengthened striker with light spring

Sevigney competition sights

The BEST thing I have done to my glock is trash the damn stock sights and put on Dawson precision adjustable rear/ front f/o sights. Other than that my race glock is pretty stock. It's gen 3, 13 lb ismi recoil spring, 0.25 cent trigger job, grip tape, swap out springs. Best thing I did with ammo was tune the ammo to MY glock. Less than 2.0 inch groups at 25 yards with 10 rounds using stock barrel.

Best thing to do to the Glock 34 is to throw it away and buy an S&W M&P9 Pro 5".

:roflol:

Jokes aside, it all depends on the rules of the competition you plan on shooting. Certain features are banned from various divisions & matches. No reason to buy optics/comps/mags that are illegal in your game.

But I completely agree with the guy who said go get $2500 worth of ammo and burn it up. That BY FAR is the first thing anyone should do. It's 95% about the Indian, 5% about the bow & arrow.

To paraphrase someone else on this board, 'The top shooters in this sport would still dominate shooting a Hi-Point tucked into their pants and reloading from an ankle holster".

Edited by KSwift

Another idea would be to call Bobby Carver in Jacksonville, FL. You won't find a nicer, more knowledgable guy to talk to about Glocks.

He will probably be able to turn your glock into exactly what you want, and at a very fair price.

He is also a very good shooter, and can help you decide what would help, and what would just be a waste.

Jim

For a Glock it's sights first and then trigger. Invest in some good sights because the factory ones are terrible.

As for trigger, learn how to detail strip your Glock if you don't know already and then look up the $0.25 trigger job for Glock and polish your heart out. Not necessary but I used a Dremel with polishing wheel to get a mirror finish on relevant parts.

Next shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. The more you shoot, the more you should learn about what you like and what you don't like. Some of the things you could consider are lightened steel strikers and possibly a steel guide rod. Lastly, do research on the possible Glock spring combinations. Find the ones that don't compromise reliability yet give you the type of improvements you feel you might like (this part is personal and subjective).

Sevigny competition sights

Stippling by Accurate Iron

SS guide rod and 13# spring

Zev tech custom deluxe trigger drop-in kit

XL650 Dillion reloading press

500-700 rds/week down range ....

I would do the following:

Lone Wolf ultimate trigger stop

Competition spring kit

Lighter connector

Polish the internals

Ad a good set of sights, I use warren sevigny

Extended stainless guiderod with a 15 lb spring

• 2 weeks later...

I would change the sights, install skateboard tape, ditch the extended slide release and install softer recoil spring. It might be better to give the factory trigger a good go before you mess with it. For all we know, you may like the original trigger better as some do...but you probably won't.

• 4 years later...

I took a G34 MOS, added a set of Dawson co-witness Fr/Rear fiber optic sights, a Leupold Delta Point Pro red dot optic, McNally (McGlock) adjustable trigger, competition springs, ZEV 2.5# connector, polished all trigger contacts, Carver magwell, Taran Tactical mag extensions for 23 rounds per mag, then added a Lone Wolf threaded barrel with Muzzle Brake/compensator, and a Jager steel guide rod with 11# and 13# springs, depending on variables.  Also, a BladeTech holster modified to allow for the taller sights and compensator.  I can always quickly bring it back to any level of use, unlimited, open, production, etc. because all the stock items are in a convenient package that stays in my tool box.  I am starting to like it. ;-)

I've been quite happy with the following mods to my 34:

• Warren Sevigny Sights
  • Wolff 14# recoil spring, SS guide rod and 4# striker spring
  • TruGrip grip tape
  • Ghost 3.5# connector
  • 25 cent trigger job
  • 147gr ammo, ~900 fps

Here's my Gen 4 G34 Production build. Have shot it in steel challenge and knockdown steel as well and I really like it:

Dawson Adjustable black rear/fiber front
KKM Barrel
DK Customs Full Trigger Kit
SS Guide Rod
13lb Spring
Grip Plug

I had some grip tape on it but I didn't care for it. Good luck and enjoy. Have really enjoyed shooting my Glock the past two years.