Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 slide lube

LRRP

This subject is way too overthought.

Get a gun lube or some engine oil.

It all works if you use it.

Myself, I use the little tubes I get as giveaways at major matches. 40K of .45 in a 1911 in two years with no failures.

I use break-free on a Q-tip to wipe along all of the wear points and rails. That way I don't use too much. I've used just about everything on the market and it all works the same for me as long as you don't use too much.

Brownell's give a way tubes and a Qtip to spread it out. No issues and it doesnt drip everywhere. Also have a tube of slide glide i got off a prize table for the hottest months (SE NM 100+ temps Jun - Sept) :cheers:

I've got a shooting friend who happens to be a PhD in metalurgy. I figured he might know something about this stuff, so I asked him a couple years ago what he uses on his guns and his reply was, "Motor oil, 30w".

Lots of good lubes on the market. In very hot climates a very light teflon or petroleum based grease will work well. I prefer to run my guns wet with a heavy oil.

Edited by TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Ever use Zombie Blood Gun Oil? I use it on all my stuff... IMO its the best stuff on the market. With that said, I know the owner of the company well, and by no means do I want to break any forum rules by talking about it more than I am supposed to... not sure if I am (I have their logo in my name).

Google search it, and I am sure you will find a few people out there using it.

Edited by Cundiff5535

I've been using Lucas Red N Tacky #2 for a little over 10 years now on all of my firearms that require it.

Some of the things I like about Red N Tacky is that it stays where you put it, it doesn't run when it gets really hot, and a little goes a long way.

I switched over from Mobil 1 and have never looked back. I was using this stuff on a large scale with my boat, vehicles, and machinery, and did a little research. Not only does it wick away debris and powder residue, but it completely displaces moisture. Also, it doesn't absorb powder residue like some greases do.

Use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. On each of my 1911s I add just a dab to the end of a q-tip to completely lube them and 2 q-tip applications with my M1A and each of my AR-15s.

Edited by roostershooter

I like a product called corrosionX as it has a better corrosion preventative in it then most of the other oils. I use it as a cleaner lubricant and protectant on all my guns. I do use the appropriate viscosity slide glide from brian for the rails and locking lugs in my 2011/1911 platforms.

Find something you like and us it.

Cheers

Retread