Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right hand mag release for steel grip SVI?

tinnhound

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if and where I can get a righthand mag release for my steel grip SVI. I have come across the mitchell right hand mag release which obviously fits the older plastic grips, but my steel grip is contured different, especially on the left side, the hole is contured the same as the right side, Thanks for the help, Nathan

Those catches are designed that way to be ambidextrous. Just take it off, flip and reinstall. As long as you have the new style mags with catch notches on both sides you should be good to go.

I had to specifically order a grip that isn't ambi.

For me, the actual mag release was not ambi. The holes in the grip are ambi, but not the release itself. I bought a mag release from Brandon that is actuated from the right side of the pistol looking from the rear. The right side mag release is cut different, the bevel that the mag slides past. Also, the retaining tab will be cut the opposite way. I bought the right side mag release so that I would not have to change my grip in order to drop the mag. It is something I have done on a few other pistols. However, it did not quite work for me on my SVI. It was worth a try. So I have a right mag release sitting in my parts bin. I would call Brandon, he'll take good care of you.

Those catches are designed that way to be ambidextrous. Just take it off, flip and reinstall. As long as you have the new style mags with catch notches on both sides you should be good to go.

I had to specifically order a grip that isn't ambi.

Unfortunately you can not flip the mag catches for the steel grips. It would go in, but the shelf that holds the mag in the gun would be facing the wrong direction. I run a left handed mag catch on my steel grip Infinity and ordered a right handed one with the gun just in case someone else would use the gun.