Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first uspsa match

Jps42

Well this Saturday I shot my first match. It had 5 stages and I had a blast. I shot a ruger sr9 in production class. Over all I shot decent though i was limited by only having 3 mags, but luckily they let me load the last one to capacity though it still made several stages much more difficult knowing I didnt have any spare ammo for misses. I made several rookie mistakes including 3 failures to engage due to bad preparation and stage planning, a lot with shooting two fast in the qualifier stage which was "front sight". Over a though I shot decent I noticed that my bigges issue was mental, I would relax and either forget to thoroughly check or go out of order and end up leaving targets. Or in the case of front sight I would get to relaxed on the middle target and loose focus on the sights and get misses. Over all though it was a blast and I plan on shooting some more matches.

I had shot 4 steel challenge matches preveously and had done a lot of practice with a co2 airsoft gun so I had an idea of what to expect, but once the timer goes its easy to forget your plan you had made up ahead of time.

That would explain the three failures to engages. I think though after this I'm going to purchase my own pistol, I was shooting my dads. I'm looking at purchasing a glock 17 for production knowing that I can later update the gun to an open division shooting 9mm major, but for know i well stick with production.

I would suggest you try shooting in Limited Minor for your next couple matches. That takes the Mag issue and reloads out of play, allowing you to just get your head in the rest of the game. Once you got the basics down pat, then come back into Production and really start competing.

I would suggest you try shooting in Limited Minor for your next couple matches. That takes the Mag issue and reloads out of play, allowing you to just get your head in the rest of the game. Once you got the basics down pat, then come back into Production and really start competing.

+1 here. Shoot limited minor and focus on total points before penalties. Let face we mortals will not be competitive for months even if we shoot a match a week so get the basics down while you outfit your rig (Mags belt loaders etc) and shoot all you can.

Okay thanks I well do that next match. Also I Plan on buying a glock 17 to compete with, I was thinking of ordering it from glockmeisters, what would y'all suggest upgrading? I was thinking the sights, extended mag release and slide lock lever, along with a stainless steel recoil assembly. What are y'all thoughts on this? I well grip tape the frame once I get it.

Sounds good, just make sure the mag release is Production legal (for when or if you return to Production) by not being any WIDER than the factory version...it can only be LONGER. I'm not thinking you can do anything to the Slide Lock lever, though.

Edited by ErichF

Okay thanks I well do that next match. Also I Plan on buying a glock 17 to compete with, I was thinking of ordering it from glockmeisters, what would y'all suggest upgrading? I was thinking the sights, extended mag release and slide lock lever, along with a stainless steel recoil assembly. What are y'all thoughts on this? I well grip tape the frame once I get it.

Save alot of time and effort to stay within the rules by upgrading a G17 and get a G34. it already has an extended factory mag release, and extended slide lock lever, making it legal, plus a fair trigger (3.5#, I think). Just be careful with the places you put the grip tape. Glad to hear you enjoyed your 1st match, and I hope all future matches as just as fun!

The way I understood the rules is that as long as its a factory part which both of those are manufactured by glock. I may just buy a stock gun and slowly add on to it. What are most peoe running for theirs sights on glocks I was look at the true glow tfo.

I dislike the grip angle on Glocks but mainly because I have shot 1911's for 3 decades and am sat in my ways. My kids love the Glocks and we own a couple. My main point is to stick with a angle that is common to the guns you shoot. Grip angle is a key component of how a gun 'points'.

The way I understood the rules is that as long as its a factory part which both of those are manufactured by glock. I may just buy a stock gun and slowly add on to it. What are most peoe running for theirs sights on glocks I was look at the true glow tfo.

Most people I have seen are using a black rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. I have Dawson Precision sights on all of my competition pistols, with a red fiber optic front for outdoor competitions (green may be a little better for indoor/ low light). If I could do it over again, I would look long and hard at the Warren/ Sevigney sights. I really like the Warren rear sight, with rounded edges and a wider notch than the Dawson sight.

Welcome to the sport. When I started I was surprised how mental the game is. The timer creates stress that messes with you. Break your stages into smaller segments, either by shooting position or reload, and you'll find it's easier to memorize.

Have you tried anything out besides a Glock? Glocks are amazing weapons. Do not forget about the many others out there too. The price point on the Glock is in direct competition with a few other great pistols.

Shot my first competition this weekend as well. Shot SS, so there were alot of mag changes. Had to plan the stages out well for it to work out. The mental part of the planning was 1/2 the fun I think! All my stages went basically as planned except for one where you were required to reload after hitting a popper..... so you had to plan around that. Of course right as I was moving to shoot the popper my gun jammed and I had to clear and change the magazine. Messed my plan all up, as I couldn't shoot the popper then or I'de have to change the mag again... had to think fast!

Lots of fun... I like the idea of shooting limited minor for a while... I may do that with the CZ I just picked up. Worry less about mag changes and more about shooting and moving.

What other guns would y'all reccomend I like the xdm 5.25 but this weekend I saw one have major issues cycling and the price tag Is kinda higher then i would like. I like 1911 style pistols two but am trying to stay with 9mm due to cost.

90% of the problems you see at a match with a gun are ammo related. Most of us reload our own, and sometimes a bad round finds its way into the batch at the worst times. A couple weeks ago I had a bad round cost me what probably would have been an A Class classifier.

See 2:00 in this video. I had a fail to fire from a bad primer on the second to last shot. I still got 4.79 sec but it would have been in the 3's had the round gone off:

Edited by ErichF