Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between USPSA Production and IDPA SSP

dd03

I'm confused between the two. Can someone explain the differences in the pistols and holsters. I want to compete in the West Coast Steel Championship but I don't know how to classify myself. I will be shooting XD 9mm.

I know the XD and XDm are considered production guns in USPSA but are ESP in IDPA. It is said the safe action of the XD/XDm is not the same as the glock therefor placing it in ESP. Does that about sum it up?

I am not 100 percent on this but I believe there is a minimum poundage on your trigger pull weight in idpa

For IDPA

There is no minimum trigger weight pull in IDPA.

No Dropped and Offset holsters

No Inner/Outer belt (CR Speed etc)

No Competition style mag pouches (CR Speed etc)

No stainless or tungsten guide rods (SSP) ok for ESP

No Stippling of grips (Grip tape is ok) SSP- ok for ESP

You could add a magwell for ESP too, but would not be allowed in USPSA Production.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

There are restrictions to the placement of grip tape in Production. Basically, you can only apply grip tape to the "grip panels".

IDPA limits the number of mag holders on the belt to 2.

In Production, there is a great deal of discussion about storing magsin front pockets. Long story short keep pocketed mags in you back pockets. In IDPA you will occasionally be required to retain a magazine during a reload. Most IDPA shooters use ther front pants pockets. That habit can lead to procedural penalties in Production as can discarding mags before the gun is empty in IDPA

IDPA requires use of a fishing vest. USPSA requires an expensive Techwear shirt, day glow cleats and cool looking eye protection. Both require 5.11 Tactical pants and at least one pocket knife.

I'm half kidding on that last part. (Cleats are forbidden in IDPA). There really are more similarities than differences. Most of this stuff will only get you in trouble at sanction matches. Go to local matches, have fun and shrug off the penalties. It'll become second nature in no time.

I'd also recommend you take anything you hear said about USPSA by IDPA shooters (and visa versa) with a serious grain of salt.

USPSA vs IDPA: I've never even gone to anIDPA match, but a bunch of the guys that come to our local outlaw matches shoot them regularly. It is fun to start start a spirited discussion (argument?) with them over USPSA vs IDPA. They get seriously offended if anyone even hnts that what they do is not really "real world." I think last Saturday they finally figured out that another guy and I were uust having a good time yankin' their crank. Hey it's all shooting. That's why they make Chevies and Fords. If it's fun, go for it.

They are both games with set rules you have to understand and find the best way to negotiate said rules. They are the same,but different. IDPA is not real world anything, its a real game just like USPSA, it's just based on self defense principals. You won't turn into Larry Vickers or Ken Hack shooting IDPA.

Consult both rule books and find the point in which you can max out the perfromance of your gun and gear while still being legal in both games.

Example: Both games let you use grip tape, but where? IDPA lets you stipple removal parts of the grip, does Production?

I am not 100 percent on this but I believe there is a minimum poundage on your trigger pull weight in idpa

For IDPA

There is no minimum trigger weight pull in IDPA.

No Dropped and Offset holsters

No Inner/Outer belt (CR Speed etc)

No Competition style mag pouches (CR Speed etc)

No stainless or tungsten guide rods (SSP) ok for ESP

No Stippling of grips (Grip tape is ok) SSP- ok for ESP

You could add a magwell for ESP too, but would not be allowed in USPSA Production.

I stand corrected. Thanks paul

IDPA requires use of a fishing vest. USPSA requires an expensive Techwear shirt, day glow cleats and cool looking eye protection. Both require 5.11 Tactical pants and at least one pocket knife. I'm half kidding on that last part. (Cleats are forbidden in IDPA).

I had to laugh out loud. But based on everything I've seen, you are spot on. (however low budget USPSA shooters can use brightly colored Under Armor shirts)

Hawaiian shirts are an acceptable alternative to the fishing or photographers vest. At the IDPA match everyone's vest is crisp with creases. I wear mine everyday so it's stretched and misshapen. Go watch and/or try both. USPSA looked more fun when I watched so that's what I chose. Then I learned the rules and got the gear that would conform.

• 2 weeks later...

A 1911 in .45 is CDP and it can be stippled or checkered to enhance gripping. A 1911 in 9mm or .38 Super is ESP and can get the same treatment. Even though I shoot and enjoy both I would like to see the rules changed to allow more work on SSP/Production guns. Both are for basic OOTB/stock pistols to help bring in new shooters. Would I carry a plastic fantastic that has had a $$$$ grip job....YES! Would I carry a 1911 with a comp...YES if it is configured to a 5" or less barrel! Several GS make/made that type of 1911 including Bill Wilson. That being said, I would not carry most of my 1911's because they have match/light triggers nor would I carry my SSP?Production guns becuse they are too big. My carry Colt Officers ACP LW has a smooth 4# trigger pull. None of my other carry guns have been worked over...yet but I do compete in IDPA with all of them!

FWIW

Richard

PS: The reason (as explained to me by John Sayle, one of the founders of IDPA ((and USPSA)) the XD is considered ESP is in the ads that Springfield used when the XD was introduced. I don't remember exactly how they were worded but the powers that be in IDPA used them as the basis to put them in ESP with high $$$ custom 1911's! For that reason alone, I would change the rules to allow grip alterations on the XD family.

Edited by chirpy

PS: The reason (as explained to me by John Sayle, one of the founders of IDPA ((and USPSA)) the XD is considered ESP is in the ads that Springfield used when the XD was introduced. I don't remember exactly how they were worded but the powers that be in IDPA used them as the basis to put them in ESP with high $$ custom 1911's! For that reason alone, I would change the rules to allow grip alterations on the XD family.

Is it because the word competition is used in the advertisements?