Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 troubble with thunking

Hi!

Now the 1050 really messing me up. This is the problem, on the upstroke it feels laggy and hard then it releases and makes a thunking noise witch spills powder from the brass after it has gotten a powder charge, PAAAIN!, this problem only occur in station 1, a little less in station 2 and 7 but you don't get the big jump on the tool-head, other than in station 1, now ive tried lubricated brass and not lubricated brass, (this just happened btw),iv'e taken it all apart cleaned it to perfection and put it back together with new lube and all, the press is 4-5 weeks old, iv'e read that changing the #11008 bearings is a solution but i refuse to believe the bearings are gone in under 5 weeks and around 2k rounds through it, when no brass is in any station its a smooth as silk, please tell me what to do..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your lower left end cap and make sure the screw is tight, I had to loctight mine. When it is loose, it allows play in the handle and makes the thunking worse.

Check your lower left end cap and make sure the screw is tight, I had to loctight mine. When it is loose, it allows play in the handle and makes the thunking worse.

That helped allot! now it's not slipping though the thunking noise still is there, the screw is a bit small to go all out on so i muscled it a little, but why haven't they tighten that system up ? they have had it for so long so it annoys me a bit.

Are you using a Lee Factory Crimp Die? They made my 1050 clunky.

offcourse i'm using a lee factory crimp, but that isn't what makes it clunky its in station 1, but when i tighten the screw like all seven hell's excuse my french, it works great, still makes a bit of noise though and ain't as smooth as I want it

Would you please explain which screw you tightened a little more clearly? I am at work and trying to visualize which part you are talking about.

I have been having a serious "clunk" but assumed it was the powder die sticking in my new brass.

Thanks!

Steve

I get a pretty strong thunking as well. The toolhead is tight and aligned and the referenced end cap is tight and loc-tited. My press does it with brass in Station 2 (Sizing), Station 3 (Expander/Swaging), and Station 5 (Belling/Powder Charge). This is with or without case lube (though slightly less with). With mine, it looks like the black aluminum part that connects the main shaft to the handle has too much play in it. It appears to pop when the brass leaves the dies. Fortunately, the press is still running well and producing consistent ammo. I would love to resolve this though.

I get a pretty strong thunking as well. The toolhead is tight and aligned and the referenced end cap is tight and loc-tited. My press does it with brass in Station 2 (Sizing), Station 3 (Expander/Swaging), and Station 5 (Belling/Powder Charge). This is with or without case lube (though slightly less with). With mine, it looks like the black aluminum part that connects the main shaft to the handle has too much play in it. It appears to pop when the brass leaves the dies. Fortunately, the press is still running well and producing consistent ammo. I would love to resolve this though.

It's the screw on the opposite side of your handle, securing the plastic cap over one of the 3 bearing, look on your drawing assembly cant miss it!

this helps a lot of the clunking and the rattling of the press, that being said, i'm gonna have some tighter bearings made, and tighten this bastard up!

A thump when the case is pulled out of the sizing die is normal. Not normal if it causing powder to spill. I'm guessing you need a more solid bench or more lube on the case (if straight wall).

use dillon lube and I bet it goes away....

DougC

No sorry, it doesn't.

Same problem with my 1050, thunking/clunking on the sizing and swaging station on the upward stroke,

when the brass pops out of the die. There's a lot of play in the bearings which

seems to cause the clunking/thunking. My 1050 hasn't produced more than 4000 rounds.

And a tight cap doesn't help.

peter

A thump when the case is pulled out of the sizing die is normal. Not normal if it causing powder to spill. I'm guessing you need a more solid bench or more lube on the case (if straight wall).

Is it really normal and shouldn't I worry? Mine doesn't spill powder.

changed the bearings its as silent as i can be.. just magnificent! iv'e got a buddy of mine to measure the old ones and made me some new, with just a hair bigger tolerances now it is tight and nice! but i¨m sure you can get em store bought aswell

changed the bearings its as silent as i can be.. just magnificent! iv'e got a buddy of mine to measure the old ones and made me some new, with just a hair bigger tolerances now it is tight and nice! but i¨m sure you can get em store bought aswell

What size was the new bearings you had made?

Which bearings are you talking about? Part number?

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap! That made a world of difference. It wasn't very loose, but enough to cause thunking. It is much better now.

there's an awful lot of play in the bearings of my almost new 1050. I can literally move

the handle sideways and see and feel the play. This is absolutely what causes the thunking.

If anybody from Dillon is reading this, can they comment please? Is the play meant to be there?

Is there a factory solution? Do we have to solve it ourselves as Mythos did? :(