Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trap Gun

birdzman

Its not purpose built for trap, but my mossberg 930 JM Pro series does great at trap. Its definitely overkill with 10 shot capacity, but I will use it for clays any chance I get and not expect to suffer any penalty that isn't already incurred by my lack of experience with that particular sport.

I've been shooting trap with my 22' jm pro. It works but I just ordered the 28' barrel. I think that will be better. My total investment will be 850. Not bad for a do it all shotty.

• 4 months later...

What barrel length is considered best or do the trap models only come in one length, also do they have screw in chokes or fixed chokes for trap ?

What barrel length is considered best or do the trap models only come in one length, also do they have screw in chokes or fixed chokes for trap ?

I believe 30-32" is best, I prefer 32". Trap guns use screw in tubes mainly with full chokes. 34" barrels are also available but, they're a little slower to swing.

would be best. My preference is 32"

• 2 months later...

I shoot 1100s in 12 and 20. With the 20 std weight(its a 1973 model built on the 12 ga receiver) shooting from the 16 yd line is no problem. They can be found for around $500 but a lot of parts are obsolete and barrels are very scarce. Good beginner gun with very little recoil so its comfortable to shoot all day. The 12 sporting that I have is nice, but nib price is over $1000. There are used 1100 12 gauges on the auction sites going for around $400-500. The only downside is that they usually have fixed chokes.

• 5 months later...

Recently bought a 30" 1100 12ga barrel from cabelas. It's the one with the 3 flush rem chokes and not the steel barrel nor the trap barrel. I found that this works perfectly with winchester super x 1 1/8 loads at 1255 fps and almost anything else. It doesn't throw the hulls very far, won't even get clots to the next shooter. Love the 1100's.

• 6 months later...

Frankly, I think that is an awfully ignorant statement. The longevity of the 1100 speaks for itself. Not many auto loaders have stood the test of time like the 1100 series.

+1

1100's will last forever if you take care of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Beretta 391 with the parallel target stock. Extremely reliable guns without o rings to worry about. PT stock gets your point of impact up high enough to handle rising targets, well. If you want to spend a little more have the stock cut to make the comb adjustable. With the adjustable comb you can fit the gun to you.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started out with Remington 1100, went to a Remington 3200, then a Winchester 101. Ran a K80 for a long time, loved it. Currently using a Browning XL Ultra, very happy with it. Whatever you end up with, pay someone who knows what they are doing to fit the stock, it makes a big difference.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...