Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Determine Wolff Spring Rates?

RaylanGivens

I recently bought some Wolff recoil springs... They arrived today and each spring is packaged in a separate plastic pouch with the spring's specifics and the weight of the spring marked on it... However, looking at each different spring, they all seem to look the same... I thought the different springs would have markings on them so that you could tell them apart... Maybe different colors of paint... that is not the case... even the striker springs are unmarked...

How do you all keep track of your Wolff springs? It seems like the best solution might be to keep them stapled in the original bag when not in use... and just hope you don't ever get them mixed up...

The normal life cycle for a recoil spring here is: Factory Package --> Gun --> Recycle bin. But, to help keep loose parts straight, the best I found was to write the info on a piece of paper, roll the paper like a cigarette :devil: and push it inside the coil. It will expand and not fall out. And you won't have to remember your color code!

Later,

Chuck

I do the "return to the same bag" technique, but I like Chuck's idea the best (rolled up paper inside the coils). Painting recoil springs just puts paint chips inside of your gun after a few shots....

I will be changing to this. With all the unidentified springs in my shop, I can make enough on the scrap metal to buy a ream of paper! <_<

I was told by Nowlin Jr. (Nowlin Barells) years ago that if you measure the wire diameter of each spring weight with digital calipers each weight spring will be a different dia. Write it down keep as reference for the weight springs you have. You are measuring (WIRE DIAMETER) not spring circumference/diameter.

I thread the springs on a large drinking straw and put tape flags on each end to retain the spring. Write the spring weight on the tape flag. When threaded on the straw they don't get tangled up in your range bag.

I gave up trying to keep track of springs and their rates.

Tried keeping them in the original bags, notched them with a riffler file on the last coil, used different colored rubber bands, these things work but if you lose track you are pretty much back to guessing.

Got a spring poundage gauge and now use that to verify springs from the manufacturer (I find most of the declared values off by a pound or two), and to keep track of how a spring is wearing, and for sorting (I had a box full). You can make one for next to nothing, or buy one off flea-bay for about $30. Takes the guessing out of the whole spring equation.

Edited by Bamboo

Yep, it should really be called a 1911 spring tester.

The spring doesn't care if it's going to end up in a 9mm, 38 stuper, .40, or .45. It has marks for compressing the spring to an officers model, commander model, or standard(gov't) model to their nominal max compression lengths. You use a spring scale and compress the spring to the appropriate line on the spring tester, and then read the spring scale (I use a cabela's 20 lb dial scale, but any scale in the 20 lb. max capacity range would work). Got one of these a while ago and it it is well made and easy to use, and therefore was worth the money to me.

Yep, it should really be called a 1911 spring tester.

The spring doesn't care if it's going to end up in a 9mm, 38 stuper, .40, or .45. It has marks for compressing the spring to an officers model, commander model, or standard(gov't) model to their nominal max compression lengths. You use a spring scale and compress the spring to the appropriate line on the spring tester, and then read the spring scale (I use a cabela's 20 lb dial scale, but any scale in the 20 lb. max capacity range would work). Got one of these a while ago and it it is well made and easy to use, and therefore was worth the money to me.

Does he make one for Glocks?

Don't know, and I have no affiliation with this ebayer.

I had been meaning to make one for years (not very difficult) and then came across this and on impulse got one, and was satisfied. He obviously makes his stuff on a CNC machine and they are built to last. Anyway, I believe that if you email him and ask he will respond.

post-9934-0-29390100-1334878325_thumb.jp

The same one that works for 1911 springs will work for Wolf Glock springs. The factory Glock springs are a little smaller in ID than 1911 springs so don't know if this spring tester would work.

I keep them in the original package or at least keep the original package in a bag with the correct spring

I bought a bass pro shops brand fishing worm binder to keep all my spare parts for all my guns it works great you can use magic marker on the worm bags to identify parts

• 4 years later...

I measure the diameter of the spring wire AND OVER ALL LENGTH of a new spring and write that number on the package.  I also have a special page in my reloading log book to keep such information.  This allows me to pick up any spring, check the diameter of the wire and the overall length to compare with a known new spring.