Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Screaming Infants in Restaurants

retarmyaviator

Three times last week I either went out to lunch or dinner each time no further than two tables away were people with screaming infants. Do people not use baby sitters any more? Do they not realize how disturbing it is to others in the same room to have to listen to that noise? And to top it off that screaming is not cute or funny.

Probably my single biggest pet peeve is screaming infants, noisy children, etc in public places. It's not the children that are the issue - it's the parents. I have, on more than one occasion, spoken to parents about their child and always get this look of incredulity - like I've just asked them to perform some unnatural act. The response of, "but they're just children" seems the most common. It also completely misses the point - that somehow I should be expected to ignore them just as the parents do.

After working in the restaurant industry for 8 years during and just after college.. I have to completely 100% agree. When it wasnt the infants, it was the 2-7 year olds throwing food, crawling over/under and around every single table that wasnt the one they were sitting at. Or it was the 1-2 parents and 4 kids sitting at the BAR because they didnt want to wait 15 minutes for a table.

If I was at chucky cheese, or Mcdonalds, I seriously wouldnt care, but please leave your screaming brats at home if you go to a nice place... Every body needs to go to the Surry House in Surry Va, decent food decent prices and right on the menu it says, "we like kids but (paraphrase) If you cant keep it quiet and seated you will be asked to leave.

I think we are starting to see more adult only restaurants.

I've got three kids. (One of each....)

Restaurants are frankly like basic training for the toddler army...

Sargents Mom and Dad need the basic tools and mentality to drill into the spawn what is expected of the short legged troop when out on maneuvers.

Of course, drill begins at home. If you think they are maniacs in public, what are they like when not on thier best behaviour???

Having kids at the restaurant isn't the problem. It's dealing with screaming kids so as not to offend your fellow patrons that are also there for a good dinner. It's that most don't have respect for you... and it continues to get worse.

Hey guys they can't help it. You can't spank an infant for crying in public they don't know any better. Kids are kids and personally if anyone said anything to me bout my kids bothering them then of say it wouldn't be pretty. Few kids are perfect by any means

Edited by dskinsler83

I'm paying good money to eat my food and don't need screaming ruining my meal. If your kids don't behave at home around the dinner table, then don't expect them to behave out in public.

It's about time they have areas specifically for folks with children, kind of like a smoking/nonsmoking section.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I'm paying good money to eat my food and don't need screaming ruining my meal. If your kids don't behave at home around the dinner table, then don't expect them to behave out in public.

It's about time they have areas specifically for folks with children, kind of like a smoking/nonsmoking section.

+10

I hate they disperse the brats all over the restaurants too.. at least group them all together

Hey guys they can't help it. You can't spank an infant for crying in public they don't know any better. Kids are kids and personally if anyone said anything to me bout my kids bothering them then of say it wouldn't be pretty. Few kids are perfect by any means

That's the point. Kids are NOT perfect and parents should understand that. I don't get ticked at the kid I get ticked at the parent that doesn't realize (or care more likely) that they are ruining every one elses time. And quite frankly, if you're cool with your kid screaming at the table next to mine then are you cool with me lighting up the biggest most obnoxious cigar I can find and blowing my smoke over your table? :D After all, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the face of the planet too. ;)

I grew up in the 60's & my parents took me & my brother everywhere - we were taught at a very early age if you act up you got a whoppen - instilled that in my own 3 kids & never had an once of trouble with them anywhere - I agree it's the parents fault if they don't take care of the problem post haste.

That's not what I'm saying and for the fart comment I really don't care honestly. I'm saying kids are kids and I do reprimand my toddler but an infant?!?!? Come one guys and I do agree that they should not take them to certain places but if I have an infant child and I wanna go eat at a place then I'm not gonna dump the infant off just to go. Being a parent not only includes making a child mind but it also means they are yours to take care of not put off on a babysitter so I can go eat and cause some people don't like a baby that cries. Infants scream and cry that's how communicate.

That's not what I'm saying and for the fart comment I really don't care honestly. I'm saying kids are kids and I do reprimand my toddler but an infant?!?!? Come one guys and I do agree that they should not take them to certain places but if I have an infant child and I wanna go eat at a place then I'm not gonna dump the infant off just to go. Being a parent not only includes making a child mind but it also means they are yours to take care of not put off on a babysitter so I can go eat and cause some people don't like a baby that cries. Infants scream and cry that's how communicate.

That's why they created the job of baby sitter.

That's why they created the job of baby sitter.

Do you know how hard it is to find a babysitter you trust with your infant. Bratty kids are one thing, but infants are another. I'm sure back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, all of you complaining about infants were one and may have annoyed your fair share of people. It's life, get over it.

Have to agree with dsk on this one. Same as with airplanes. A cry toddler is annoying, but usually they are crying for a reason. But a 3-4 year old who is screaming, that is the failure of a parent to deal with the situation.