Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me understand my difference in PF

ckfarris

Last year when I was shooting limited, I loaded up thousands and thousands of 40 caliber rounds to shoot. I never made it through all the rounds last year. I have a 5" STI 2011 bull barrel limited gun if it makes a difference. This year, I have decided to shoot single stack exclusively with a 40 caliber STI Trojan. So far this year, I have been shooting what I had left over from last year. I still have about 2000 rounds to go through before I need to start loading some more.

Anyways, I went to the range today and decided to chrono my loads just to be on the safe side and make sure nothing had changed over the winter. I decided to take both my limited and single stack gun. I chrono'd my loads out of my limited gun and they averaged a 171 PF, just where they should be. Those same loads out of my single stack gun were only a 166 PF. Can anybody explain what the differences are since they are both 5" barrels? This obviously has me a little concerned since I load with Solo 1000 and it is reverse temperature sensitive. It was 72 degrees out today when I was PF 166 on my Trojan. I have no doubt that here in the hot Kansas summer sun when it is 95+ degrees, my loads will probably fall into minor.

Anybody have any ideas why the difference?

Two pistols coming off the line right after one another will very possibly chrono differently. Just the way it is. I would load up new ammo and use the old for practice.

Richard

What he^^^^said. Different barrels, different chrono results...

Last year when I was shooting limited, I loaded up thousands and thousands of 40 caliber rounds to shoot. I never made it through all the rounds last year. I have a 5" STI 2011 bull barrel limited gun if it makes a difference. This year, I have decided to shoot single stack exclusively with a 40 caliber STI Trojan. So far this year, I have been shooting what I had left over from last year. I still have about 2000 rounds to go through before I need to start loading some more.

Anyways, I went to the range today and decided to chrono my loads just to be on the safe side and make sure nothing had changed over the winter. I decided to take both my limited and single stack gun. I chrono'd my loads out of my limited gun and they averaged a 171 PF, just where they should be. Those same loads out of my single stack gun were only a 166 PF. Can anybody explain what the differences are since they are both 5" barrels? This obviously has me a little concerned since I load with Solo 1000 and it is reverse temperature sensitive. It was 72 degrees out today when I was PF 166 on my Trojan. I have no doubt that here in the hot Kansas summer sun when it is 95+ degrees, my loads will probably fall into minor.

Anybody have any ideas why the difference?

I have two 4.5", 40 caliber XDm's. They each require a different load.

Personally, I only load enough match ammo for the upcoming month. You probably (now) know why ;)

Edited by Reshoot

If you are useing a 180 gr bullet thats about 30 fps diffrence between the two pistols, not supriseing at all. Then throw in the diffrence between chronos, I have seen 40 fps diffrence between 2 chronos with the same load on the same day. If you want to live that close to the floor with major its always a crap shoot. I have chronoed a load at 175 pf at home, drove 300 miles to a match with a diffrent chrono the next day and went 167 pf. When the buzzer goes off I cant tell the diffrence between 170 pf and 175 pf. Give yourself more cushion and check and re check.-------Larry

Edited by Larry White