Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New club in Flagstaff AZ

Please Move to appropriate forum if this is inappropriate.

I am starting a new USPSA club in Flagstaff, due to the lack of matches within an hour and a half's drive.

I am looking for USPSA members willing to join Flagstaff Practical Shooters. From what I gather I need 10 members to be USPSA affiliated. The USPSA affiliation packet is in the mail.

Right now, I will be hauling targets/stands/tables/props from my house to the Winona Pit shooting area for practices and matches.

As it is USFS land, there will be no charge to shoot our match/practice. When our Flagstaff range is built, we may get to use it, but that is a few years out.

If you are interested in joining the club and/or helping out with club/match duties please email me at Roberthamilton_98 @ yahoodot com.

And thanks!

Good luck with your new club, i started one here last yr, Powder River Practical Shooters, Baker City, Or. we started with 5 local uspsa members and 2 RO's, now we have 15 local members and 8 RO's, and avg 20 shooters per match last yr. it was a labor of love to get it started, and now it growing and its a pretty good feeling. i started with absolutly nothing, but an idea. but you may want to re-think having free matches, $3.00 a head from the classifier goes to uspsa, and at $51.00 for a box of targets, you might want to charge a little bit. hope it works out as good for you as it did for me. Ray

prpshooters.com

Since I will use the national forest I can't charge to shoot, but I can take donations, and you bet I will!

Props and targets are expensive, so I will do what I can to recover costs.

Flagstaff club is long over due. Good luck I past this on to my Sister who is living in Flag now and missing all the shooting she was able to get at Rio. Also with the new Flagstaff range under construction

maybe your timing is good.

Heck in the Summer in the summer some of us folks from Rio would wander up and shoot in the cool pines. 1st week end of the month is the only weekend at RIo Salado that

there is not a USPSA match. That would be a good week end to start one. I know Prescott Practical has one the 1st Saturday of the month maybe yours could be on the Sunday.

Shoot Prescott on the way up and Finish up in Flagstaff.

Again good luck and we will pass this info along to our northern USPSA shooters!

dcalvert

Thanks. I got the club packet last night.

Yes, Flagstaff is overdue. I thought the Williams club would get affiliated, but so far I have not seen any activity at that club. And they are still 45min-1 hour away. I know that's not that far. Its the 3 hours to the Phx clubs that kills it for me, getting up at 3am to make by start time!

• 2 weeks later...

Flagstaff club is long over due. Good luck I past this on to my Sister who is living in Flag now and missing all the shooting she was able to get at Rio. Also with the new Flagstaff range under construction

maybe your timing is good.

Heck in the Summer in the summer some of us folks from Rio would wander up and shoot in the cool pines. 1st week end of the month is the only weekend at RIo Salado that

there is not a USPSA match. That would be a good week end to start one. I know Prescott Practical has one the 1st Saturday of the month maybe yours could be on the Sunday.

Shoot Prescott on the way up and Finish up in Flagstaff.

Again good luck and we will pass this info along to our northern USPSA shooters!

dcalvert

Dale i am pretty sure we were just talking about this...

i would love to see a uspsa style pistol match going up north. if you do have matches try to have it on a day that rio salado shoots cowboy or revo. and we are all looking to get out of the heat of the valley. shooting up north in the mid 80s in the dead of summer would be awesome, i might even pick up a summer membership! but i can get at least 4 people to go shoot it.. keep us posted.!

how far out of town is your range set up? i will even bring my own brown target tape and a clock(timer).

10 bucks says i can get TGO to drive up with me and prob nils. if you think you need some GM involvement.

• 11 months later...

Just got on the schedule at the new range. Took a bit a work, and the offical club is NOT set up yet, but......

matches on second Sunday every month April to October. Price TBD

Practice every Weds 4-6pm on the 50 yd range

at Northern Arizona Shooting Range.

All that it took was me deciding it needed to happen :excl:

Actually took a lot more work than that, but it will happen, and we WILL follow the USPSA rulebook so you will know what to expect.

Just got on the schedule at the new range. Took a bit a work, and the offical club is NOT set up yet, but......

matches on second Sunday every month April to October. Price TBD

Practice every Weds 4-6pm on the 50 yd range

at Northern Arizona Shooting Range.

All that it took was me deciding it needed to happen :excl:

Actually took a lot more work than that, but it will happen, and we WILL follow the USPSA rulebook so you will know what to expect.

That's really good news!

• 2 weeks later...

For all those following this:

We are scheduled for the Second Sunday of each month at the Northern Arizona Shooting Range.

I'm going to get input via survey on the first match on club name, practice nights, etc.

Our first match is going to be 2 long courses, 1 or 2 short stand and shoots and one classifier.

We are NOT affiliated yet, I need the SC to sign off and I wanted to wait till I got input on the club name.

I project that the match in May will be officially sanctioned by USPSA.

We only get one large bay at the range, so squads will need to stay together and help with setup and moving stages.

If you have questions, please email me at nasrange2013-info@yahoo.com.

The first match, April 14th, will hopefully show us where we need to improve so that our matches will be up to USPSA standards and expectations.

Robert

Ryan and I had a great time up there for your Inaugural match. The stages were fun, you've got a great group of shooters there and a facility screaming to be developed. We'll for sure be looking forward to more, especially when the heat turns on down here in Phoenix.

I'm guessing that there might even be a mass exodus some Saturday afternoon with camping Sat. night for a Sunday match. Keep us updated.

Thanks Again,

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

The next Flagstaff Match is this Sunday.

AT this match we will have the USPSA club roster, so if you are interested in getting out of the heat of the valley, come on up and sign our roster to help us become a "real" USPSA club.

While I don't have specifics on the match yet, there will be at least 4 stages, with plenty of variety and steels, along with some moving targets. Ours are NOT paper matches like many small clubs. First timers are welcome. The range is still very primitive, so bring food and water.

www.northernarizonashootingrange.org

Any questions? Email me at nasrange2013-info@yahoo.com

Oh, and we are getting water tanks and pit toilets soon, which means that camping AT THE RANGE will be soon to follow.

As it stands now, camping just outside the gate is perfectly fine.

• 1 year later...

<<snip>>

there is not a USPSA match. <<snip>

Was looking for info on the Flagstaff matches, and ran across this post. FYI -- we have a USPSA club in Payson and you are invited!

Payson Practical Pistol (IPSC72) group shoots the first and third Saturday of every month. Usually 4 stages, with one classifier on each 1st Saturday.

We've enjoyed a number of Rio shooters up here this past summer, and are always looking for more Valley folks.

Doug

ETA: Sorry, intended to send that as a PM... did not mean to hijack the thread

Edited by GilaMonster

Well folks, we have a functioning club but we cannot seem to find a match director/club contact.

I am stepping down, and the club will cease to exist if we do not find a MD this Sunday.

We will have enough cash on hand to pay for our insurance, which runs out on 10-16-14, but I am not going to pay for another year without a MD who will be responsible for the club. So the incoming MD has to pay nothing, we have plenty of cardboard targets, and stands, tape, sticks, tools; and we can continue to borrow steel poppers from Steve S.

We really need someone to take over!

Robert