Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reminds me of the $1500 Air Force coffee pot. Robust enough to survive in a post-nuclear environment, if you still had the functioning transport aircraft to plug it into.

Turn a profit after R&D, production, etc.? WOW -- how much more R&D and design work went into the $500 flashlight?

But there are cases where you just have to wonder why something is so expensive.

In some cases, it's about image. Most people aren't able to do their own lab testing, statistical analysis of durability of large sample sets over time, etc. - but assume that the more expensive brand is of higher quality. Often it is. In many cases, the price at the pointy part of the pyramid goes up faster than the quality (think "super premium" guns that sell for twice "basic" guns that are "almost, but not quite" as good).

Sometimes, you get what you pay for - for example, I know of another quality flashlight company that leaves you to deal with their resellers on any warranty claim - making it tough if you buy one on ebay or from a no-name who goes out of business (as I would not expect a seller who you did not buy from to be overly interested in helping).

Part of the "premium value" image ties in with pricing policy. If a firm decides it is going to compete based on a premium image, it may be in their best interest to not only have a high price, but make sure that price is never discounted so selling the product remains attractive to "full service" stores.

One of these days I was thinking of posting my list of "articles you will never see in a mainstream gun magazine" - and "Vendor pricing and markup policies" would be right at the top of that list.

But there are cases where you just have to wonder why something is so expensive.

In some cases, it's about image. Most people aren't able to do their own lab testing, statistical analysis of durability of large sample sets over time, etc. - but assume that the more expensive brand is of higher quality. Often it is. In many cases, the price at the pointy part of the pyramid goes up faster than the quality (think "super premium" guns that sell for twice "basic" guns that are "almost, but not quite" as good).

Sometimes, you get what you pay for - for example, I know of another quality flashlight company that leaves you to deal with their resellers on any warranty claim - making it tough if you buy one on ebay or from a no-name who goes out of business (as I would not expect a seller who you did not buy from to be overly interested in helping).

Part of the "premium value" image ties in with pricing policy. If a firm decides it is going to compete based on a premium image, it may be in their best interest to not only have a high price, but make sure that price is never discounted so selling the product remains attractive to "full service" stores.

One of these days I was thinking of posting my list of "articles you will never see in a mainstream gun magazine" - and "Vendor pricing and markup policies" would be right at the top of that list.

+1

You get more than a flashlight with your purchase. I have thrown away dozens of $14.00 flashlights in my lifetime that when died had no way to get them repaired. I also have a Maglight or two that are not working and sitting in a box somewhere. I dont own one of the $500.00 models as I do not need one of those, but if I did I would gladly spend the money to have the best tool for the job. I have yet to need anything but batteries for any of the high dollar flashlights I own.

I use to work for a company that prided itself by being the most expensive in the industry. We mad a product that was second to none. Eventually, customers would have problems with the competitions products and buy ours. They complained about the price but never about the product.

If the failure resulted in a federal agency auditing them, they only ever went though it once and knew they did not want that again.

If you flashlight fails when using it, what is the worst that could happen ?

wow haven't looked at the post i started in a while. brought up some good points.

I like there product and the one guy who said if it is too much then you arn't in our marketing group. what group are you marketing the Trumps. hahaha had to say that

i can see ther 100 version b/c to me it is worth the extra 50 bucks or so from other good flashlights. but really who uses a 500$ flashlight. i mean sure there are uses if an agency or department uses them, but man. like someone else said it better do more than carry my light.

if i bought one i would be scared to use it/break it.

same thing with the 500 $ knife. oops left my knife on the table doesn't cut it. i would have that thing on a chain and pad locked to my pants.

Maybe the guy earlier was right. i don't make enough to but there stuff. i am good with that.

I have a Good 'ol 5D mag lite, and know what, more than produce light, it can be used as a nightstick in case of emergency... Now try to knock down someone with a surefire...

My father, a retired LOE, never get out of his patrol car without his "maggie", a 6D Maglite, can be use for so many thing...

if i bought one i would be scared to use it/break it.

Those they were designed for probably aren't scared of much. And if and when they break one I know its replaced no questions asked, and probably offered with an apology.

Those they were designed for probably aren't scared of much. And if and when they break one I know its replaced no questions asked, and probably offered with an apology.

+1 to this.

As far as the question of who would buy the $500 light, remember that there are people (including some forum members) who go to difficult places and look for difficult people under difficult conditions. These people buy what they need to succeed if it is not provided to them by an agency or branch of service.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Between tactical lights, tactical knives, and tactical hearing protection it seems one can spend a lot of money. I always get a kick out of people with the latest, greates tactical equipment shooting terrible and blaming the equipment. It's not the equipment...it's YOU!

• 2 months later...

I do not own one but could we not say that part of the price is due to the ruggedness of the design and the abuse it is cabable of taking and still working?

I have a Surefire G2 in a drawer somewhere that's only been used for about 2 seconds. I bought it back before LED's became standard specifically for a handgun class that involved night fire. Illuminated the first target with the back of my hands pressed together and pulled the trigger, and the bulb died. I borrowed a light for the rest of the class, and called Surefire the next day. Customer support was nice enough, promised a replacement bulb assembly, but never shipped one. I reminded them several months later, never saw it. I keep intending to buy a LED conversion head for it, but it's still sitting in a drawer.

Edited by Red_SC

Everyone has their "thing", for us it is a competition firearms and all the accessories (not to mentions travel expense). Some people have boats, planes whatever.

No matter the market free enterprise will step in and provide the consumer who wants to overspend the product they want (notice I did not say need).

I have a friend who is really into flashlights and has several flashlights that each cost more then a new open gun. Not to mention custom built ones that will do

crazy things like set newspaper on fire at 18" and give sun burns.

Holy crap - that's crazy talk! Set a newspaper on fire at 18 inches! I wanna see that. It's cracking me up for some reason.

:roflol:

I've owned a few different brands. FWIW, the Surefire (can't remember model number- its like a metal Z2 with a clip) I bought in 2003 is still going strong. The Fenix', Digilights, and el cheapo brands not so much. In the end, probably would have been more cost effective to just buy quality.

has several flashlights that each cost more then a new open gun.

Really? A $4-5000 flashlight. Sorry but that's just stupidity. Hell paying that for an open gun is nuts let alone a flashlight!