Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 primer wheel not indexing

My 650 has recently developed an issue where it intermittently will not index to the next primer.

The lever arm will not snap down into the hole to advance the wheel. If I snap it down manually, it'll run for a little while before the problem reoccurs.

Any idea of a fix, or do I need to replace the upside down washer and spring.

I'm also catching the edge of a primer every 2 in 100 rounds. It's really not an issue except the powder in the case under the seating station flings out.

Any advice on resolving these issues before I call Dillon is appreciated.

Have a 650 and had primer problems (small primers) since the day I got it. Tried replacing the ring, polishing the parts, re-aligning, and rebuilding it completely several times. It had trouble feeding primers consistently. Talked to Dillon many times.

After 3 years of problems I finally purchased a new primer assembly. It was money well spent since then it has worked perfectly for small primers! Even better, I found that the old primer assembly works fine for large primers so I have one of each.

I have a 550, 650 and 1050. Love them all!

I had the same problem. Called Dillon, they sent me some parts and life is good again. I tried bending, polishing and cursing.....only the cursing seemed to work temporarily....call Dillon.

• 3 months later...

I just got this same problem last night.

Pushed the lever of the press and the handle would stop halfway through its travel.

Did not know what was hanging the press up at this halfway point.

Assumed it must be a primer stuck halfway in the primer plate.

Tore primer assembly apart & put back together and did it again.

Tore it apart again and put back together with no primers this time.

Now the primer indexing arm just stays in one hole and doe snot jump to the next hole.

No matter what I do the primer index arm just stays in one hole. Frustrating.

My 650 is a paper weight until I get this fixed.

Emailed Dillon tech but have not heard anything yet.

I have had problems in the past with index lockup. It has usually been the result of tightening the center bolt down too far when making a change over from on caliber to another. Try to back the center bolt off a quarter turn and make sure you done have any primers jammed at station 2.

Also make sure you have the proper lubrication on all the surfaces. A little dab here and there is plenty.

I have easily run 100K+ rounds through my 650 and usually find most of the problems are with the operator adjustments.

What center bolt to tighten?

The only center bolt I see is the main Primer Disc Pin (13862).

The Disc Pin is held with the Primer Support Shim (14117). There is no tightening or loosening of it.

What else is there to adjust?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I had a symptom appear today that I had never seen before: primer indexing became pretty erratic. Chunking happily along, after just about five or ten rounds the thing would jam up nicely, only resuming after a little carefully-aimed invective.

After taking the primer system out and dismantling it, I noticed that the Primer Indexing Arm leg (over which the spring fits) was bent up ever so slightly. The leg was hanging up on the housing. Taking the part off and setting it inverted in on a piece of glass, I compared it with a new part, and the bend in the leg was noticeable. I replaced the Primer Indexing Arm with a new one, and the problem was completely resolved.

My theory is that I bent it when I had some jams that were related to not having the Indexer Block positioned correctly. So, I damaged it by attempting to force the system.

Won't do that again.

Chris

Edited by cohland