Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need new budget desktop.

atomicbrh

The family needs a new tower type desktop PC. Our Desktop PC is over 10 years old. slow and dying. We need a reasonably priced desktop that will have the basic software.

We do not need a gaming card or software for gaming. The kids are all out of the house and when they come home they bring laptops.

We cruise the internet alot and read many forums. My wife makes lots of greeting cards and works with large amounts of photos. We want to continue to use our old Dell printer because it still works great.

I am thinking 1 TB hard drive and 12+ GB memory.

My wife and I are not hardware savvy.

I want to pick up whatever we buy from a local big box store if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy that is the most bang for our buck?

Thanks,

Bobby H.

We need a reasonably priced desktop that will have the basic software.

We do not need a gaming card or software for gaming.

We cruise the internet alot and read many forums. My wife makes lots of greeting cards and works with large amounts of photos. We want to continue to use our old Dell printer

I want to pick up whatever we buy from a local big box store

Bobby, I've found my "Best Buys" on the internet. Check PC magazine

and look for best buys there - I saved some money by buying on the

internet - got great computers for less money.

Good luck,

'

Jack

Look at Newegg.com/Destop PC's/ ACER America. They have "mini" PC's that are smaller than big hardcover books. Usually around $300. Then buy a 1TB external for $100 and you have a new PC capable of streaming 1080P and storing all your photos. It's what I have set up.

Since your current tower is probably running Windows XP, you will be looking at one with a newer operating system.

I don't know if there are any "new" PCs out there with Windows Vista, but if there are, avoid them.

I recently went from XP Pro to Windows 7. I'm still learning but the learning curve going from XP to 7 is not as bad as I feared. Last several PCs purchased (desktop and laptop) were internet purchases. One from Best Buy and one from Staples. Saved a few dollars versus buying in the store.

Bill

when you go to new versions of Windows dont be surprised if your peripherals no longer work. Key board, mouse, printer may not work. Think I had to replace everything when I went from 98 to XP, I second New egg, can compare lots of different units quickly and get a good one quick. Way less usually than the local stores that bought the machines a year ago and are still trying to get the year ago prices.

• 8 months later...

Anything PC you buy new now will probably come with Windows 8 which from what I understand, comes with a pretty steep learning curve. I'm sure you can still order a PC with older versions of Windows but why bother. If you don't mind an easy learning curve and a bug free experience, buy a Mac product. A used Mac is still lightyears better than a new PC. I switched to Mac 4 years ago after using PC's for decades and I'll never go back. Never had a virus, never had a glitch, never lost a file, never had a crash.

This message was sent from my MacBook Pro :D