Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 FNH USA 3 Gun

Any chance next year to not having the yellow sheets behind the long range rifle targets.I could not see any splash in the dirt on the rare times I missed the target to see if I am shooting high or low and what the wind is doing.Great match

Backing is instrumental to irons shooters. It helps targets stand out and easier to find.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you to everyone who had a part in this great match. Larry, special thanks to the backers for iron sight shooters.

...if I just hadn't missed those 5 paper targets on Stage 3. :angry2: I nailed those little sideways suckers though!! :D

yup. thanks for the backers. i was shooting irons as well.....but it kind of sucked to shoot against the guys with red dot non magnified optics.....not really the same....... i guess i will have to subscribe to the old adage......if you cant beat em, join em. i may have to buy a dot.....:)

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run the SCAR on suppressed mode with Federal 77 Gold Medal match. Yep big difference in recoil from the standard setting with 55 gr ball or XM193.

hhhmmmm? good idea. maybe i will try my scar on similar settings. what should i consider to get the most out of it? heavy slower bullets? or is there another combo to consider? thanks

I really enjoyed all of the choices on the stages. It allowed each shooter pick their strengths. I overheard some shooters complaining that the pistol wasn't used enough, and others complain that the match was too pistol heavy.

I personally don't fly across the country to shoot a pistol match, so i was happy to use my rifle every chance i got.

Here is Stage 5.

As for the RO's, I had a great crew on stage 7. We were running very efficiently, unfortunately the stage had to be removed from the match. It was actually one of my favorite stages of the match.

Edited by atomicferret

W/O the backers the long range targets become nearly impossible to pick out from the background. A substitute, that MIGHT work could be marker flags on each side of the targets. Remember this match is not about finding a target, but rather about hitting them.

Kurt Miller once told me using lime sprinkled on the dirt behind the target works great for every sight system.

Yup! They do it at the Steel City rifle match every year - allows you to spot your hits and allows high contrast (white powder, black target).

I can't and won't argue that the Lime might work, it is reported by reliable sources that it does, But I have a couple questions: how long does it last? Would it need to be replenished after each squad? Half Days? Full Day? What about Rain?

I normally RO the distance stage at Steel City. I am an irons shooter, I am also the guy with the lime bucket. We lime after each squad, usually there is time to drive out and refresh between squads while they are getting their walk thru. We usually give the option to irons guys going first and if there is anyone shooting heavy optics the squad kinda let's them go last ...if they are shooting heavy irons usually they shoot after the light irons guy if the irons guys want to go early for the fresh lime.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I believe they used lime at the pro-am last year on the LR steel. It worked OK. I shot my irons gun, even though there was not TI division.

I prefer good/clean backers, that contrast well with the target. Placed in an area than can be seen during all possible shooting hours of the match.

Edited by Lead-Head

Sorry, but the backers stay. I cannot accomandate every possible level/skill or sights during the match. We have used the backers for the last two years and yes while it does not give the report back of impact not on the target it does provide ease of target identification for everyone. Sorry I will not go away froma system that works for us. If I went to the lime then I must fight different lighting as the afternoon squads would have an advantage and then there is the rain?????

We spend a total of about an hour putting up the backers on the long range steel ensuring that they are centered on the target. Compared to 10 minutes for each squad and making sure all three stages are down range at the same time is a nightmare for management! To put lime down, 60 minutes per day times 3 days, total 3 hours, easy math!

Backers will stay, sorry!

Sorry, but the backers stay. I cannot accomandate every possible level/skill or sights during the match. We have used the backers for the last two years and yes while it does not give the report back of impact not on the target it does provide ease of target identification for everyone. Sorry I will not go away froma system that works for us. If I went to the lime then I must fight different lighting as the afternoon squads would have an advantage and then there is the rain?????

We spend a total of about an hour putting up the backers on the long range steel ensuring that they are centered on the target. Compared to 10 minutes for each squad and making sure all three stages are down range at the same time is a nightmare for management! To put lime down, 60 minutes per day times 3 days, total 3 hours, easy math!

Backers will stay, sorry!

Thank you Larry, the backers made all the targets visble.

This was an amazing match. It was well conceived, planned and executed. I have no suggestions for improvement or criticism, except about my own performance.

I had a great time and was challenged but not overwhelmed. I received tactful assistance from the RO's and everyone at the match. The instructions and directions for the events and stages were clear and complete. The range itself is awesome and very well maintained.

Great event, flawlessly planned, and shot with a great group of people. I don't know what else you want.

Sincerest thanks to Larry, Linda, the staff, range owner/operators, RO's, other shooters, and FNH. I can't wait for the next one.

I am a satisfied customer.

Thanks again,

Stephen

Edited by Triggertard

Well FNH marketing worked like a charm. I had wanted to shoot Heavy but I dont own a 7.62 rifle. Since I used the Kel-Tec Shotgun and a glock 21, I was 2/3 already invested into shooting Heavy. Well thanks to FNH for enticing me by shooting their Scar 17S I found one and will pick it up Saturday.

They dangled that carrot good.

Here is a pic my FFL sent me of my SCAR17S.

my_sca10.jpg