Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting from the 27 yard position

West Texas Granny

Well yesterday I shot 2 rounds of Trap from the 27 yard line after 3 rounds from the 16 yard line. Didn't want to sit while the others shot from the 27yard line so I said I'm up for it. Now the last time i tried shooting from this position I only had 8 hits out of 25. Told myself that day I should stay at the 16yard line until i had become a better shooter but yesterday I just couldn't help myself. So I grabed a box of shells and proceeded to engage clay pigeons from 27 yards. I was pleasantly surprised as I hit more than I missed. Got 28 out of 50. I think I'm making progress. Got some problems though.

One problem is thinking. The other day shooting from the 16 yard line I was heading into position 4 with no misses. I started to think that I may get my first 25 straight. Didn't happen. I immediately missed 6 straight targets. Thinking is killing me. I' m moving along and BAM the mind turns on and I can't hit a single bird.

I also wonder if I made the right decision switching from a shell rated at 1200FPS to one rated 1290FPS. Plus determing the amount of lead I need from 27yards is a bit difficult at the moment for me. Of course now I see switching to a faster shell is probably making it difficult to figure out the amount of lead I need frm 27yards.

Stats:

Gun-Remington 1100 field gun with modified barrel. One bead sight.

Shooting left handed with right eye closed.

Only started shooting Trap in mid November 2011

Get yourself a 30" trap barrel and use a full choke. That should help a least a little right there. Modified is pretty thin at the 27yd distance, and the trap barrel has a different hold to get you higher on the birds for trap.

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting from the back fence will really illuminate your problems. You can get away with stuff at the 16 that will cause a miss at the 27. I'm not at the 27 yet but that is where I practice from.

I'd suggest getting a 30" full choke trap barrel for the 1100. The Mod will work OK from the 16 but further back the pattern will have too many holes.

And stick to the 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 fps loads. They will work just fine. In fact, from the 16 an 1 1/8 oz @ 1150 perfect but may not cycle the 1100 and since it is a gas gun, the recoil will be fine.

Doing good... 27 yard shooting is not easy.

"Thinking" is not allowed while actually 'shooting' the target, particulary trying to calculate leads. ;)

I would stay with the same load for both 16-27 yard. Helps "brain memory" of target breaking sight "pictures", and your body will thank you for not increasing "recoil".

27 yards is tough shooting. Moving back a couple of yards each time, when comfortable/confident, is easier...in steps so to speak!

It takes a while to get to the 27 line...so have fun.

Doing good... 27 yard shooting is not easy.

"Thinking" is not allowed while actually 'shooting' the target, particulary trying to calculate leads. ;)

I would stay with the same load for both 16-27 yard. Helps "brain memory" of target breaking sight "pictures", and your body will thank you for not increasing "recoil".

27 yards is tough shooting. Moving back a couple of yards each time, when comfortable/confident, is easier...in steps so to speak!

It takes a while to get to the 27 line...so have fun.

Really didn't have a choice in the matter. The guys wanted to shoot from 27 and I could either sit or shoot and I decided to shoot.

• 1 month later...

It's fun to shoot from the fence, it does magnify your mistakes and it is almost a different game. Unless you go to way extremes pellet velocity is not an issue, even the slowest loads are going much faster than the bird. A full choke is good and I find holding lower on the house helps. If you have and adjustable comb try raising it 1/8 inch or so when you move back. Longer barrels do give more precise sight pictures although very few will admit to every seeing bead.:unsure:

We used to play Skrap every sunday night at our club. You have to have a combo skeet/trap field.

Everybody grabs one box of shells and takes turns on skeet stations 1 thru 7, using the trap machine. You start on 1 and shoot til you hit, the the next shooter follows. When you get to 7 you backtrack, then back again, and so on. Last one with a shell wins.

The game will teach you alot about 27yds.

My advice is the same as above. Shoot 1 1/8oz. of 7 1/2s(1200fps). Use a full choke.

It just takes time, and lots of shells.

• 3 weeks later...

i shot for the first time a 50-50-50. i used my browning gold sporting clays gun with a IM choke. i broke 42 out of 50from 16yd line then 44 from 22yd line and 43 in doubles. this worked out to 86%. i think this trap thing is just a lot of practice with one gun.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

As stated above shooting from the 27 yd line is difficult but a lot of fun. Many trap games such as protections and annie oakly's are shot from the 27 yd line. You might want to gear-up just a little if you plan shooting much from the 27. As a rule of thumb you can shoot pretty well from the 16yd line to the 24 yd line without a great deal of difference in your timing and leads. When you go to the 25 yd line things change a little. As you move back the amount of movement of your gun decreases. It appears you can shoot faster because you do not have to move your gun as far but you should avoid the temptation to shoot faster. Keep you head down (on the stock), look at the target and smoothly swing to the target. Practicing in this manner will prepare you for long yardage shooting.

• 1 month later...

The thing I find deceptive going back to the 27 is that your gun movements are smaller, but because they are smaller they require much more precision than up close. Also add to that the higher requirement for good vision. Not jumping the bird and having some visual patience is difficult for me but pays off when I can.

For 27 yard shooting, as all trapshooting, visual patience is the key. It is just more pronounced and difficult on the 27. You must not move the gun until you have correctly identified the bird (straight away, quarter-right, medium right, etc). For me the most missed target is usually a slight quartering target. If you identify too quickly, you will shoot it as a straight-away. As your shot leaves the barrel, you will see the target drift to the side of you bead as the shot passes behind it. Incorrectly identified the target by not watching the flight path long enough before moving the gun. If you can correctly identify the target, your mind just executes the "right angle" program and you break the bird with your subconscious doing the shooting. Sounds easy, but very difficult to do for 100 targets.