Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't use a tripod (don't got one), but make sure you get the skyscreen brackets.  When I was asked if I wanted the "optional" brackets, I thought, what ever that is, I may not need it, and if I do, I can make it.

Well, it turned out this "optional" bracket was what you mounted the chrono sensors on!  I went ahead and made one, but I would have rathr jes bot it.....(duh)

I use a camera tripod that my wife got at a garage sale real cheap. I throw the whole shebang in a padded sports tote bag I had laying around.

The tripod I have is a "shorty" that extends up to just over waist high at maximum. I typically shoot off of a 28-32" high range table. I find that I never need the skyscreen mount bar more than a few inches higher than the surface I am shooting from, so the shorty tripod is perfect.

The Pact seriously rocks!! Make sure you get Brian's book too!

(Edited by George at 7:01 pm on Nov. 5, 2002)

The various X-marts are carrying some $20 tripods that work pretty well for chronos. For my Oehler, I got a conduit-grounding piece at Home Despot that fit both the thread of the tripod camera-mount and the tube the screens mount on. It all collapses down into a large plastic toolbox with minimal disassembly. Setup time is about a quarter of what it was when it was all disassembled in a shotgun case.

Alright, here are some pictures:

The box itself (note rod sticking out end)

box1.jpg

The chrono guts are in the green pelican box, skyscreen shield parts to the left

box2.jpg

Underneath those is the tripod and the skyscreens on the rod. The trick mod here is the hole drilled in the end of the box. That way it all fits in a 26" box and I only have to loosen one skyscreen thumbscrew to make everything fit.

box3.jpg

Here's a closeup of the grounding-clamp thing clamped to the skyscreen rod. The tripod camera mount shoe is threaded into the clamp where the grounding bolt used to be.

clamp1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm looking at our hosts Club Timer II or the CED 6000 for training purposes.

Mostly to be used indoors, want to get splits, transitions, par times, etc. to determine where/what I need to work on. Both of these appear to fit the bill, both are in the appropriate price range. I've seen both used at matches, so I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance!

There was an article comparing the various timers in Front Sight a few issues ago that was a reprint of an article on one of the shooting websites. I can't find my Front Site with that article right now. Wife must have cleaned... :huh:

I have the CED 6000 and one of the guys I shoot with alot has the PACT Club Timer II so I have used both fairly extensively. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy the PACT.

There really isn't anything "wrong" with the CED 6000 and mine performs just fine as long as the battery is in good shape (which is true of all the timers I have played with). I wish these timers had a better indicator of battery charge than just starting to act flakey. I think the ergonomics of the PACT II are better than the CED 6000...but that my be just me.

There are some functions on the PACT IV which are supposed to be reallllly nifty for training but it is a pretty big box and another $60-70 over the CED or PACT II.

Guess that didn't help...did it? :D

It was helpful. There was a thread at sportshooter.com about timers, gave me some info, quite good, but i don't "know" those folks...but I do know the people here :D which is why I am asking.

Considered the big box Pact, but the extra dollars are not worth it (IMO), and I have a chrono already that works fine for my needs.

My shooting partner also wants a timer and we were thinking one gets one, the other the other!

There was an article comparing the various timers in Front Sight a few issues ago that was a reprint of an article on one of the shooting websites. I can't find my Front Site with that article right now. Wife must have cleaned... :huh:

I think the article is on sportshooter.comI can't verify it, cause my "big brother" url blocker won't let me go to sportshooter.com :(

Shot timer article on SportShooter.com

Vluc,

I have used the Pact Club Timer II quite a bit (mostly outdoors). I like it plenty.

I haven't tried the Competitive Edge Dynamics, CED 6000...can't comment there. I have tried the other timers from the article...I would spend my money on the PACT products over the others.

I have the ced and the little yellow one, duh I can't remember the brans right now.

Anyway, I like them both. The CED has a sensitivity adjustment I like, but I've buggered the screw I change it so much when going from outdoors to indoors really often.

The little yellow one is real simple and supposedly reads splits below .09, like I'm going to use that! The CED has a bunch of functions. For me the smaller yellow one is the first one I grab out of my bag,

Hope this rambling helped.

Tom

Here's that link:

http://www.sportshooter.com/gear/rev_timers.htm

=)

Can anyone comment a bit more on low-end sensitivity?

The article cites the PACT II for excellence with regard to this concern.....any others that y'all would like to comment on?

In case a point of reference is needed, this would be for airsoft practice/competition.

Thanks!

Allen

aka DumboRAT

Suddenly I have shooting partners at the range now that I've mentioned "Have Timer, Will Share".....! And it's a PACT Club Timer II (thru BE.com). The instructions that come with it are in "Engrish" or something very, very spaced-out from some other dimension, but I logicked my way thru some button-pushing and came up with ways to set it and change basic timed settings. Though I'm not using ALL of its features by any means, its compact size, belt-hook attachment and ergonomic shape are convenient and futuristic. Will fit on belt or in pocket. It's cool. B)

I've always had good results with the pocket pro, I don't really care to much for the CED 6000. The CED gets lots of echos or doesn't register shots at all. The pocket pro is always very accurate.

The only downside for the pocket pro is that you have to push extra buttons to get some info like splits. But this seems like a fair trade for accuracy.