Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new toy

general_cluster

Well after only a few shorts days in the safe and 100 rounds down the tube to make sure it wasn't a lemon that needed to be returned to Winchester, I chucked my new SX3 up in the mill and opened up the loading port while a friend of my fathers tig welded a plate to the lifter. (if I recall correctly, I used an 11/16 bit and a 60 degree chamfer, then cleaned it up with some files and 400 grit paper/WD-40.) The received is made of a suprisingly tough aluminum. I am pretty happy with the way stuff turned out, I am going to add some material to the lifter, smooth the bottom little more, and powdercoat it. and take a little bit of material off of the forend. If anyone has any good suggestions on how to do this CLEANLY, I am all ears. I am thinking a band saw with a fine blade at low speed?

The one size fits most clamp from nordic pushes my extension tube up about 3/16" while in place, so the old man is helping me aquire one with the correct center to center distance. (it has been quoted at 1 case of bud light :cheers: ) Also, I have noticed that even with the +6 tube (which is about 3/8 shorter than the 26" barrel)as tight as I can get it by hand, I am able to wiggle the mag tube in the hand guard. It is probably OK, but if the clamp doesn't clear it up, I am thinking of making a shoulder washer to keep it and the piston centered. A fiber optic bead and rear sight may be in the furure as well. Anyhow, I thought I would share some photos of the current product.

post-36712-0-87703000-1327866831_thumb.jpost-36712-0-87330400-1327866840_thumb.jpost-36712-0-62509600-1327866853_thumb.jpost-36712-0-54492100-1327866869_thumb.j

Looks great. Have you done any loading with it to see how it all feels? Are you planning to remove some material from the end of the handguard directly forward of the loading port?

Yeah, 10 fit real easy. I trimmed quite a bit off of the spring. As I mentioned above, I am looking for a clean way to trim the forened or hanguard. (I will give you a pass on the account of all the time you spent in Missouri and the impact it may have had on your literacy. I know you just like to look at the pictures) ;)

Perhaps I will bring it up to the farm soon.

Does your SX have the dura-coat? If not find a gunsmith that fits recoil pads, they generally have a good eye and steady hand. They also usually have a fine belt on their sander which should do the trick. Tape it off where you want it and let them have a go at it.

You could also use a file, to rough it in, then use sandpaper double side taped on a 1"x3" to finish it up, going finer as you get it where you want it to give it a polished look

Edited by Orphanedcowboy

• 2 weeks later...

yes it has the dura-touch coating from winchester.

Concerning the clamp; if it sounds too good to be true, it is. The guy that was gunna "make it for a case of beer" rushed it through in the last minute. He bored the holes per my drawing at the correct center to center distance...but didn't tighten the bit in boring bar for the final cut, so the holes were tapered when I got it back...and the exterior isn't finished. But he refused payment, so I guess I am ahead. I left the barrel hole tapered, it actually fitts the tapered barrel quite nicely, but I had to bore the magazine hole out to fit the way i wanted it too. The mill is back home at the farm, two hours away, and not in my garage, so this one continues to be a work in progress. I don't really have the tooling to cleanly round the exterior like Nordic does, so I think I am going to give it kind of an octagonal shape, a coat of black powder coat, and call it a day.

• 3 weeks later...

So I started with about the two chunks of aluminum I mentioned above. The ones that had two unintentionally tapered holes bored in them. The taper of the barrel hole was serendipitously the same profile as the barrel, so I left it alone, but had to alter the mag tube hole. The bolt holes were too high, and passed through the hole for the barrel, so I milled those off and added a hole to the center. Instead of a wide clamp with two Allen screws, I have a narrow one with a single screw. It seems to do the job though; I didn’t mangle anything at last weeks match. This was all done old-school; no CNC, EDM, water jet or anything like that, just a whooped Bridgeport with worn-out tooling, so it took a bit of time.

post-36712-0-25734400-1331589439_thumb.j

post-36712-0-33823700-1331589467_thumb.j

post-36712-0-37184200-1331589530_thumb.j