Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping tumbler safeties with D type safeties

lugnut

I have a 75 Shadow T. Is has safeties that are the "tumbler" style which is very different from the D type found in the SP01. Because of the tumbler style safeties I also have a detent and spring on the right side in addition to the left.

If I was to swap out to the thinner safeties- I need the D type safeties. The question is- do I also need a new sear cage? What about the ride side- do I need some kind of spacer to replace the detent and spring?

Are you looking for traditional style CZ safeties? If so you can get those in the tubler style. My 85 has tu$bler style safeties and I once accidentally installed them in my shafow.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the hole on the right side of the frame is larger on the thumbler frames.

Hmmm trying to get more definitive information on this... I wish someone knew about this before I try buying some parts! I'm pretty sure I need to swap out the sear cage to the D-style as well... but I'm not sure about the hole on the frame- if there is any difference. Also, my gun with the tumbler safeties has a detent/spring on each side... do I need to get the "spacer" for the right side? This part: http://czcustom.com/...afety-Lock.aspx

I really think the stock safeties suck for such a wonderful competition gun. What was CZ thinking??? With the grip that everyone these days uses- two thumbs forward, this is a PITA unless you have huge mits.

Edited by lugnut

Thanks, Those look a little better but still are chunky. Someone had mentioned the RAMI safeties might work as well... not sure what kind they are though. Just gotta call CZCustom when they get back from Shot Show.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got these and installed them. I think they are much better. Real test is when I live fire... but I'm optimistic.

FWIW- I was told I'd would need a new sear cage and the little spacer on the right of the frame for the Dstyle safeties.... not sure I need to go that route now. biggrin.gif