Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 vs. G22 Limted

frankge

Hey all,

Just won a Glock at the GSSF match at the WAC in Cleawater. It's my home range and I was RO'ng. Thanks again guys! I was mulling over which is a good gun to get started in Limited. I shoot prduction with a G34 and was going to default to the G35 for limited. Beyond the obvious length/sight picture I'd like to hear from people that have actually shot these guns. I'm still going to shoot production mostly because I need to grow my skills more. I woulddn't mind a .40 as a standard gun thats not just cometition specific. I do carry a G36 though.

Oh, yeah, the G35 will cost me $107.00 and G22 is free.

Thanks

I've tried the 22 and the 35, and I like the 35 more, particularly for Limited and IDPA SSP. I understand that the main difference is the longer sight radius that you mention, so aside from that, the main difference might be psychological for me.

Stupid question: why wouldn't you shoot the G35 for Production? If you make some soft 135 power factor loads, you can shoot the 35 for Production -- and it would shoot softer than the G34. Or, shoot Major / factory ammo, and blast away in Limited.

Now, if I had to just use one gun for both carry and competition, I'd get the 23 (I know it's not one of your options), and if not that, then the 22.

Just my two cents.

Longer sight radii (or "radiuses" in simplified English) are not always an advantage. It really all depends on you as the shooter.

A longer sight radius allows you to be a little sloppier in your sight picture, because, as opposed to a shorter one, the long radius will show aiming errors much more clearly. If the front sight is close to centered on most shots, the hit will be there.

But long guns ain't all sunshine and gravy. The disadvantage for some comes in their wanting to perfect the sight picture on EVERY shot. A long gun will slow this shooter down a lot, again because every error will be glaringly apparent. On a shorter gun, "acceptable" sight pictures are more-common because you don't see every tidbit of mis-alignment.

I have a 22, 24, and 35, all set up exactly the same. If I were going to a match that I knew was primarily hard tight shots (i.e., the 1991 U.S. "Headshot" Nationals), I would carry my G-24. If I was going to a match that I knew was all run-and-gun close targets (a typical "hoser" match), I'd carry my G-22. For all-round general purpose shooting, I think that the G-35 is the best balance between all of these attributes.

Edited by Braxton1

Hey all,

Just won a Glock at the GSSF match at the WAC in Cleawater. It's my home range and I was RO'ng. Thanks again guys! I was mulling over which is a good gun to get started in Limited. I shoot prduction with a G34 and was going to default to the G35 for limited. Beyond the obvious length/sight picture I'd like to hear from people that have actually shot these guns. I'm still going to shoot production mostly because I need to grow my skills more. I woulddn't mind a .40 as a standard gun thats not just cometition specific. I do carry a G36 though.

Thanks

I would go with the G22 since it free. From my experience the 22 will shoot as accurately as the 35. I know other people like the longer sight radius. I like the longer barrel length because it gives me extra power factor. If both were free I would go with the 35. I would however buy a factory 4.5# connector. The good news is you really can't go wrong either way.

Congrats on the win!

I vote 35 as well. I'm kindof partial to the gun, it was my first competition gun. I did shoot minor PF loads (180gr) in it for production. I won a GSSF gun as well and got the 34 for production and do like the snappier load over the more sluggish minor PF 180gr 40, though I guess I could have loaded a 135gr 40 and got a snappier load out of it. Now a few years later I'm coming full circle back to the 35 and considering making some major PF loads for limited.

I think you'll appreciate the longer sight picture and similar handling characteristics of the 35 since you already have the 34. Another thing to consider is that you can often find G22 police trade-ins for pretty cheap. I know a place in Bakersfild that was selling them for like $385. Here in CA the 22 can retail new for $500+ and the 35 is a $6-700 gun new. I don't know how prices are around you, but I certainly value the 35 a lot higher than the 22.

G36! So you're the reason GSSF still has the 7rd limit :P

Hey all,

Thanks

Gongrats, good for you! My personal preference is the 34/35 platform for the sight picture and sight picture alone. Fot $107, it is a good deal!

I started off the beginning of last season with a Gen4 35. This was my USPSA Limited rig. It worked very well, had no complaints.

I sent my Gen4 35 slide off to Glock due to a recall. During that time I put a Gen3 22 slide on my Gen4 frame. This gun was set up identically to my Gen4 35. My times were faster and hits were better with the 22.

I have since sold the 35 and replaced it with a Gen4 22. I don't know why everyone keys in so much about sight radius. Most shots are less than 30'. I transition my shorter-barreled, slightly better balanced 22 better.

As a friend says. Get the G35 'cause it's 13 better than a G22.

LOL, then a G39 must be the best!

I'd go for the G35 for reasons mentioned already. Indexing is indexing, so getting a good sight picture on a longer barrel/slide isn't any different when the grip angles are the same. It works well for me anyway. I went from a 5" to 6" STI and from a G35 to a G24 without problems. I much prefer the long slides.

I tried several Berrys plated: 155, 165, and 180. I found the 165 to have a nice snap, while the 180 seemed a bit slow. With that being said, I've stuck with the 180 since I use 180 for Major loads and wanted to make it easier on my brain to keep track of my bullets. :wacko:

got the 34 for production and do like the snappier load over the more sluggish minor PF 180gr 40, though I guess I could have loaded a 135gr 40 and got a snappier load out of it. Now a few years later I'm coming full circle back to the 35 and considering making some major PF loads for limited.

Thanks for the input. I was originally looking for a limited gun but the cost was up to $3000.00 which is just not possible for me right now. I did speak with some experience shooters at my local match last night and they basically said don't bother building a limited glock. Too much money to spend and it would not be competatice. Mind you I'm an up and coming shooter so no expert, just wanted to get my feet wet. I shoot a G34 in production andthat will still be my mainstay. Even with magwells, trigger job, and magazine extensions I'm still way below $1000.00 with the free gun.

What do you all think?

Get the G35 and you're good to go.

I shoot the same exact G35 for both USPSA Limited and IDPA SSP. I just made three changes: lightened trigger, adjustable night sights, and an after-market barrel (OEM barrel works great, but it's easier to reload brass without the Glock bulge). All those changes and the total cost is still below $1,000 -- or, in your case, should be less than $500 since you're just paying $100 for the G35. Additional changes will only make a difference, if at all, if you're competing at A/B level or above for USPSA, or Expert level or above for IDPA.

Thanks for the input. I was originally looking for a limited gun but the cost was up to $3000.00 which is just not possible for me right now. I did speak with some experience shooters at my local match last night and they basically said don't bother building a limited glock. Too much money to spend and it would not be competatice. Mind you I'm an up and coming shooter so no expert, just wanted to get my feet wet. I shoot a G34 in production andthat will still be my mainstay. Even with magwells, trigger job, and magazine extensions I'm still way below $1000.00 with the free gun.

What do you all think?

In reference to Glock Limited guns, Frank's friends have told him:

Too much money to spend and it would not be competitive.

What do you all think?

Personally, I am offended. :sight: There are a lot of GrandMaster and Master shooters who shoot Glocks, whether 22s, 24s, or 35s, in Limited, L-10, and Production Divisions. I know of a good many Classifiers whose "100%" score is owned by a Glock.

Sure, Glocks may not have the 1.5 pound trigger that only needs a hair's breadth of movement to make it go "bang", but it is reasonably accurate, pretty ergonomic, and 19+1 capacity is not a big disadvantage when compared to 20+1. A $2500 STI/SV is going to be easier to shoot, if that's what you grew up with, but easier does not always directly translate into "better".

I have Glocks and STIs and Single-Stacks. The STIs and Single-Stacks are state-of-the-art, but I will almost ALWAYS shoot the Glock better, because it's what I am used to, as I teach with them and carry them for defense.

Things that they do have are dependability when compared to most others under $1500 (They just run.) and versatility (One gun to carry, shoot Ltd, L-10, Production, IDPA SSP, and IDPA ESP).

Edited by Braxton1

+1

I personally love how reliable/dependable my G35 is.

I used to shoot Limited with a 1911, then had two Open raceguns (STI and Caspian). While they shot great, I did have to spend way more time maintaining them. With my G35, I shoot a thousand rounds through it in-between cleaning -- and it runs fine.

In reference to Glock Limited guns, Frank's friends have told him:

Too much money to spend and it would not be competitive.

What do you all think?

Personally, I am offended. :sight: There are a lot of GrandMaster and Master shooters who shoot Glocks, whether 22s, 24s, or 35s, in Limited, L-10, and Production Divisions. I know of a good many Classifiers whose "100%" score is owned by a Glock.

Sure, Glocks may not have the 1.5 pound trigger that only needs a hair's breadth of movement to make it go "bang", but it is reasonably accurate, pretty ergonomic, and 19+1 capacity is not a big disadvantage when compared to 20+1. A $2500 STI/SV is going to be easier to shoot, if that's what you grew up with, but easier does not always directly translate into "better".

I have Glocks and STIs and Single-Stacks. The STIs and Single-Stacks are state-of-the-art, but I will almost ALWAYS shoot the Glock better, because it's what I am used to, as I teach with them and carry them for defense.

Things that they do have are dependability when compared to most others under $1500 (They just run.) and versatility (One gun to carry, shoot Ltd, L-10, Production, IDPA SSP, and IDPA ESP).