Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel for Targets

Should be absolutely fine, and I'd go with 3/8". BTW, if you are using these for just your personal use, plain old 3/8" steel (not hardened) will kast a very long time. It will pit at times with faster/heavier bullts, but 9mm, 40, and 45 generally don't do much to it....

Should be absolutely fine, and I'd go with 3/8". BTW, if you are using these for just your personal use, plain old 3/8" steel (not hardened) will kast a very long time. It will pit at times with faster/heavier bullts, but 9mm, 40, and 45 generally don't do much to it....

Agreed and pieces of angle iron work great.... built in stands.

I want to have some static steel targets made (for pistol only) and am wondering if AR400 steel is sufficient to handle pistol calibers including some magnum calibers? If AR400 is OK, what thickness should I get? Thanks in advance

3/8" AR500 will bend (warp) with constant use, which is why I have to take our poppers to work and straighten them out on the 50 ton press every so often. If you can afford it and seeing as how they will be static, I'd go with 1/2" AR400 or AR500. Even then I would have the mounting be a flexible one like hook and slots so that the movement will absorb some of the bullets momentum.

• 8 months later...

AR-500 Armor Plate 3/8" is the only way to go for Pistols. Someone always shows up with a rifle and this way it won't hurt it if its shot. Also poppers need to be reversed every several 1000's rounds (starts to curve)this keep them straight. If you are making a Steel Challenge style targets that are loosely hung 1/4" AR-400 to AR-500 will ring like a bell and be twice as loud as 3/8" steel.

Max

AR-500 Armor Plate 3/8" is the only way to go for Pistols. Someone always shows up with a rifle and this way it won't hurt it if its shot
If someone shoots any steel AR 500 or not with a rifle at common pistol distances the steel won't last and they will get fraged.

• 3 months later...

Anybody have links to published data on what kind of steel works best for various applications? Some friends and i would like to have some pistol and rifle targets built. I have access to a couple of steel fab companies, but they don't know what kind of steel we need. Once I figure that out, we can likely build whatever is necessary. Would I be correct in assuming that any targets for 100m + rifle work could be anything? Fab shops have all kinds of old steel laying around so I'm thinking it shouldn't matter, but don't have any experience with anything other than steel used in the IDPA/USPSA games.

AR400-AR500 3/8" is what most reputable target co. are using. I comes down to how much you want to spend & what are you shooting it with?

I shoot mild steel 3/8" 8" & 6" plates with my .40 .I have shot 1000s of rounds at them. But it's not somewhere that someone can shoot at it with whatever.

If you want it to last forever 1/2 ar500 should do.lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It all depends on how they are hung. search for GT targets his targets are hung on a cap and there is a hook of 1-1/4 X 1/4" welded to the back This way the target isn't held tight and can eat up some of the impact by moving. If you want to use 1/4' to save weight make them from AR500 or just by them from Karl at GT targets

• 2 years later...

MAGNUM TARGETS sells plates cheap,I've put thousands of 9,40, 45,10mm on them and they still great

He calls it E34 ,or something yes he sells any grade steal all it takes is money, lol. Suggest round plate with pre-drilled hole,you'll never get a weld to stick on this metal,yes I'm horrible stick welder still u think I could get one to stick and hold together, Nope

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by rancher5