Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 primer ski jump fix

Last weekend I made up a fix for my 650's primer ski jump , I used a small snap top container (about 1.5" by .75 " ) cut a opening below the lid that would fit over the primer ramp , cut the ramp side back so the container would silp on , drilled a hole in the ramp about 3/8", 5/8" the wiht of the ramp . The primers will now fall the container and not on the floor or back up on the ramp.

Edited by shriner

Trust me I am totally helpless when it comes to computers but I go to photo bucket and copy image url then open a post up and right click the little picture of a tree icon and it will post the picture.

Never realized the 650 primer system operated on a use or lose primer supply. That seems weird coming from a company that has come up with some really clever engineering.

It's not a lose primer supply. That portion catches the extra primers if you don't have a case in the station as the machine cycles. It keeps you from having live primers all over the floor.

Never realized the 650 primer system operated on a use or lose primer supply. That seems weird coming from a company that has come up with some really clever engineering.

Crazy thing is the 550 does not have this problem. If no cartridge is present, the primer just waits for the next cartridge.

Its another reason the 550 is still the most versatile of all the Dillon reloaders. You can work 1 round arund the press when working up a load and nothing gets messed up.

Crazy thing is the 550 does not have this problem. If no cartridge is present, the primer just waits for the next cartridge.

Its another reason the 550 is still the most versatile of all the Dillon reloaders. You can work 1 round arund the press when working up a load and nothing gets messed up.

Not entirely accurate. The 550 puts a primer on the anvil every time you pull the handle. They don't go on the floor or a ski jump but they do continue to pile up on the plate.

Not entirely accurate. The 550 puts a primer on the anvil every time you pull the handle. They don't go on the floor or a ski jump but they do continue to pile up on the plate.

I used a friend's 550 years ago before I got my 650. I remember not worrying at all if I didn't have a round present. It was just something that never caused problems.

So what happens if you end up with 5 or 6 primers?

I used a friend's 550 years ago before I got my 650. I remember not worrying at all if I didn't have a round present. It was just something that never caused problems.

well, their suppose to go down that 'sky jump', but sometimes they don't and what will happen is it will lock your primer system up and you end up pulling the primer system out and fixing the issue.

if a primer doesn't go down the 'sky jump' it just winds up going around again until it locks up the primer system.

that's why I check, if a primer doesn't make it to a case, I have a couple pulls to knock it down the 'sky jump' manually.

They just keep stacking up and you have to pick them up off the plate so they don't get caught somewhere.

They just keep stacking up and you have to pick them up off the plate so they don't get caught somewhere.

right and if you miss anyone that doesn't go to a case on the third pull and it didn't go down the 'ski jump', it'll eventually jam the primer index.

right and if you miss anyone that doesn't go to a case on the third pull and it didn't go down the 'ski jump', it'll eventually jam the primer index.

Now I get it. You think there is a ski jump on a 550. We are talking about a 550 not a 650. They don't go anywhere on the 550.

How do they get it to work right on the S1050? I have a 1050 and never worried about the primers. I haven't had it long so I cant be 100% sure but I think the primer just sits on the punch and rides up and down until it gets stuffed in a primer pocket or I gently pull it off with tweezers to empty the primer magazine.

Kevin, I don't think theres a ski jump on the 550, I just commented earlier that Its surprising because on the 550 the primer system doesn't advance if there is not a case present. i.e. its a better system.

But others have said thats not correct.

• 1 month later...