Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it necessary to classify?

Bentsight

I've been shooting IDPA for about 1 year now in CDP and have yet to classify. I have only shot in local matches and have no plans to shoot at a higher level. I shoot just to improve my shooting abilities and to gain better familiaritiy with the gun in mildly stressful situations. I understand that it is a competition and that there are some that live and die by how they fare against the field, I'm just not one of them. Knowing this do I really need to shoot the classifier?

Nope. But it is a good way to measure your own progress against yourself. It tests a resonable amount of gun handling skills and provides something concrete to judge against.

Then there is the rule book part..

Edited by DWFAN

I understand that it is a competition and that there are some that live and die by how they fare against the field

This alone is a good reason to get classified - because it's fair to your fellow shooters, and good for the sport.

Look, you've been shooting CDP for a year now. Undoubtedly, you're shooting beyond the novice level, maybe beyond Marksman, too. And maybe beyond that. You may not realize it, but there may be true novices at your matches who'd be thrilled and to win their division/classification, which may encourage them to continue in the sport. Instead, they get discouraged when another "novice' eats their lunch, and they may quit soon after.

Just my $0.02.

Tom

Edited by GrandBoule

hey Mike,

if i were you i'd go ahead and run the classifier just to see where you are at in the CDP division.. Like Steve said it's good to look back and see how you are doing and besides it's good practice on it's own..do you practice any in between a monthly match??sometimes i'll do just portions of a classifier just to practice some skill drills..Good luck!!

You also have to be a member of IDPA to classify. When I was a MD, I had to throw out several scoresheets from the classifier because they were not members. I had application information at the match and even waited 2-3 months for them to join.

^^^ I have joined IDPA also completed & passed the RO safety class but didn't recieve the little white sticker because I failed to classify this year. More incentive I guess...

That can't be right. You don't even have to shoot to be an SO, just be a member and pass the class.

7. Obtain a valid classification and maintain it by shooting the

classifier at least once every twelve (12) months (except master

class shooters).

Right there in the rule book.

that is listed under responsibilities right before having fun a socializing... not sure that is actually a rule... :cheers:

• 3 months later...

One very important point I did not see above but may have missed it. You cannot participate in sanctioned IDPA matches without a classification, typically MM and above. This was the primary reason I wanted to get classified as soon as possible as the sanctioned matches are such a great time. Even went to Nationals in Tulsa. You have to shoot at least two sanctioned matches during the year to go to Nationals.

• 1 month later...

There's a section in the IDPA rulebook called Shooter's Responsibilities that states:

7. Obtain a valid classification and maintain it by shooting the classifier at least once every twelve (12) months (except master class shooters).

• 1 month later...

Follow up to my earlier post re: SO sticker

I made a couple calls and the issue was cleared up by my area rep. with no problems and I received my SO designation from IDPA.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Mike