Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers for 38 Super?

nhglyn

Need to buy some primers for the first time in years. Wolf primers are approx $10 less per 1000 than Winchester or Remington at Powder Valley but, are they any good? Use for matches, just practice, or neither? I shoot 38 Super Open gun and have been using Winchester primers for years. Any feedback on current Wolf primers appreciated, thanks.

I've only had a couple that haven't went off in about 3K so far. They're okay in as far as firing. I have far more of an issue with seating them, they're tighter and don't run as smoothly in my 650. When they're gone, I won't be buying anymore.

The past year I have had some problems with the winchester SR not going bang...even after 3-4 strikes. I switched to CCI #400 and have not had any issues and right now Grafs has them form $109.99 per case...best deal going on CCI's.

Grafs

Randal

That is a good deal!

I received the Wolf .223 primers instead of the SR ones that I wanted. Took them anyway.

Primers don't fully seat all the time in my .38 SC brass so I had to manually seat them with my RCBS primer tool.

They all fired but I'll reserve the rest of them for .223 loads.

I have an extended firing pin in my gun, 17lb main spring.

I've run through close to 10k with no problems at all. No misfire, seating or any other problems. I've had more problems with Federal and Winchester than Wolf. Last two sleeves were $80 each on sale with no HazMat so that is hard to beat.

I have gone through about 15,000 Wolf SR primers, mostly with my Brazos (15 lb mainspring and extended firing pin) and my Caspian (standard firing pin, don't know the mainspring weight). Out of those I had three failure to fire. I try to look at them before they go into the Vibra Prime and caught one or two that just did not look right. I use Wolf for everything except major matches and then Winchester. I have never had a WW primer failure.

OK what about tula primers; are they any good; they are $80 for 5000ct at graf

I just purchased 10K. Loaded up 30 rounds for load testing, have had 3 fail to go bang. Not happy.....make you a deal on 9,970 of them;-)

Major issues with Wolf SPP. Many people were having major failures of the SPP a year+ ago. The silver SPP's would have a 10% failure rate. Any of the brass colored Wolf primers have been fine, but those silver SPP's were terrible. Had some in brass that were just fine. They were issuing refunds for the asking for a while until people who never even bought the primers started requested refunds. I think Wolf has pulled all their SPP off the market and may not bring them back.

The LPP have been problem free for me and they are only $16 per K.

It was said that Tula was taking over for Wolf however, Wolf are still being restocked at PV so I can only assume they are still sending out product.