Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

December - A Toughie

benos

I pulled out all the stops to wrap up 2011.

Whoever can make the most comments about the attached soundbyte will be the winner.

I know at first you are probably going to be thinking - how much Jamison has he had to drink this evening! None, yet, would be the correct answer to that question. :D

If someone can just get started with it, then a whole world of comments might flow forth.

And since it is the holiday season, instead of a book, the winner will get a $100 eCoupon to Brian's Store.

be

whatisit.mp3

[Farsi translation]

In the desert

I saw a creature, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"

"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,

"But I like it

Because it is bitter,

And because it is my heart."

I am pretty sure that exact phrase was said by one of the aborigines in the movie "Quigley Down Under" when Quigley actually uses the pistol to kill Mr. Marston. Roughly translated it says, "Damn that was fast!,If You Are Finished, Unload And Show Clear” :D

Oh and is this see who can post the most comments, or the best comment? I'm a little confused, but I sure could use $100 in your store so I can finally see what this book everyone keeps referencing is all about.

Edited by scffacenter1

[Farsi translation]

In the desert

I saw a creature, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"

"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,

"But I like it

Because it is bitter,

And because it is my heart."

Wow! And I thought this would run for days, not for less than an hour. :D

I am a huge fan of that poem. And since you posted it, I am going to declare you the winner, even though I said "whoever can make the most comments...". Because any further comments would have to build from your post.

So did you get it because you know the record that it's from?

For fun, there are still some "comments" that could be added... More details on the soundbyte in my OP, author, etc. ...

be

Stephen Crane (1871-1900) wrote the poem he also wrote Red Badge of Courage and a contemporary of H.G.Wells

I was introduced to his writings by a fellow sailor who gave me this line upon leaving one of my deliveries ..

"None of them knew the color of the sky. Their eyes glanced level, and were fastened upon the waves that swept toward them. These waves were of the hue of slate, save for the tops, which were of foaming white, and all of the men knew the colors of the sea." — Stephen Crane, "The Open Boat"

The inside joke here is that the sky is the same color when it gets rough enough offshore..

John

This morning as I was reloading and drinking my first cup of coffee, I had the beautiful womans voice on my mind. I was thinking the language sounded familiar but I couldnt quite place it. I was thinking maybe the Middle East, but not the Arabic language. The voice reminded me of the nurse in the movie Body of Lies, but I had forgotten that she was originally from Iran.

When I logged on to the forum this morning and read that the language was Farsi, I was not surprised. Farsi, as I recall, was not spoken in Body of Lies, but was spoken in the movie Syriana. The sound of the language was familiar from movie, and the voice familiar from another movie.

Its a language I dont understand, but is nice to listen to, especially when spoken by beautiful Persian women.

Edited by grapemiester

"None of them knew the color of the sky.

That is one of the best opening lines ever. I've started reading Stephen Crane since learning of him from The Sounds of Animals Figthing. The record The Ocean and the Sun could now maybe be my favorite record ever. Since learning of that record (from a young kid who is always playing interestig music in Tops Liquor) I've listened to it stgaight through every night for six months now.

I knew the sounds from the album intro. I had to use my interweb skills to figure out what was said. I'm glad I did.

Thanks, and nice work. PM inbound with Gift Certificate info.

;)

It's Farsi. "In the desert I saw a creature, naked, bestial, Who, squatting upon the ground, Held his heart in his hands, And ate of it. I said, "Is it good, friend?" "It is bitter, bitter", he answered, "But I like it Because it is bitter, And because it is my heart."

Since it doesn't look like anyone's going to elaborate... The soundbyte was a short clip of the first 3 lines of the first song (Intro) of The Sounds of Animals Fighting record, The Ocean And The Sun. It is Stephne Crane's poem, In The Desert, recited in Farsi. Then toward the end of the record, it is spoken in English, in the track Ahab.

I was hoping no one would know that record. But that was silly on my part - because there is seldom anything that someone on the forums doesn't know. Here's how I was hoping it would go. If no one got the song, I figured someone might get that it was Farsi, and then get "in the desert" out of it. The trace that to Stephen Crane.. and then thinking it was probably from a record, trace In The Desert to The SOAF record. And then if someone really wanted to leap from there... they could guess that it is my new favorite record - especially in the "listen to it from beginning to end" category.

I attached the full poem in Farsi (Intro).

01 Intro.mp3

And here's the track in English.

Ahab.mp3