Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do we load Titegroup and 124gr bullets hot?

Cy Soto

I have spent a lot of time perusing through the 9mm Reloading section and it seems that most folks who are using 124gr FMJ & JHP bullets with Titegroup are loading their cases with 4.0gr to 4.2gr of powder. I have tried this load out of my G34 and I am getting around 140PF to nearly 150PF.

So why do so many people that use this load like to shoot it so hot? Wouldn't 3.6gr or so (achieving 130PF) be enough? Is it because by going this high you are getting better accuracy or is it something else?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based an what I've heard from a shooter who shifted from shooting 147gn + TiteGroup to 124gn + TiteGroup, 147gn was so sluggish that he was waiting for the slide to cycle. Going to 124gn made for a faster, snappier cycle without being overly snappy like 115gn.

I'm only guessing, but I think that the preference to go with such a hot recipe is to keep with the concept of the faster cycling.

Personally, I'm still using 147gn + TiteGroup because I'm not yet to the point where I'm waiting for the slide to cycle.

Also, other thing to consider is whether the formula was 4.0-4.2 was aimed for people shooting relatively short barrels with regular rifling. Shooting out of a longer barrel with polygonal rifling doesn't seem to require as much powder (as I'm discovering using my CZ-75 recipe on my Stock 2).

I tried TG and 124 grain bullets at 130 pf. The recoil was nice but ejection wasn't 100%.

Getting the pf to 135-140 made it run perfect.

This was with a box stock glock. No springs, no weighted magwell, etc, etc.

Wouldn't... ... (achieving 130PF) be enough?

No.

I want all my Minor loads to make 135+ power factor. It is still a MINOR load. You then never have to worry about chrono or accidentally going sub-minor. It takes down steel a bit better. It runs the gun better (not a feel thing...actual function).

Look at all the "my ammo didn't make power factor" threads we have seen over the years. I just don't get why so many want to push their loads so low.

I have tried this load out of my G34 and I am getting around 140PF to nearly 150PF.

Just out of curiosity what COAL did you use? I recently chronoed some loads with a 124gr. bayou bullet loaded to 1.155 with 4.1 gr of tg and it was 134pf (15 shot average). I actually got very similar results with a MG 124gr CMJ although the temperature was about 40 degrees warmer on that day. Based on the SD deviation of the load (19.4fps) and allowing for a little colder weather I've decided I don't want to go any lighter. This was out of an 4.5" XDM.

I run 3.9-4.0g with a 124 and get the 135ish PF like Flex does. The gun just seems to run better in that range and I didn't really like how it felt any lower. Perhaps I could get it to run down around 125-130 but it's not worth it to me. I'd rather have a little more thump on the steel:)

4.0 Titegroup,124 grain MG CMJ's. Federal Small Pistol Primers, Assorted Brass, seated anywhere from 1.120 to 1.135 has always given me a 132-135 PF with the many G34's I have owned. A little cushion because Titegroup can be a little temp. sensative. I'm now running the same load in my new SA XDm 5.25. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Just out of curiosity what COAL did you use?

1.130" out of a G34 but also keep in mind that I am in Colorado where, even our lowest altitude is still nearly a mile above sea level. Lighter atmosphere = less air friction.

You then never have to worry about chrono or accidentally going sub-minor. It takes down steel a bit better. It runs the gun better (not a feel thing...actual function).

That makes sense!

I had been using VV N320 until recently and running the pistol's PF at around 140PF. With this much cushion I never had to sweat the chrono.

Edited by Cy Soto

A little cushion because Titegroup can be a little temp. sensative.

I was not aware of this. In what direction is TG temperature sensitive?

One other thing... I have noticed that, when using TG at lower PF, the cases don't obdurate well and there is a lot of gases that flow back into the pistol's chamber. I don't know if, other than making the gun dirty, this has any ill effect on the accuracy or handling of the firearm so I ask, does it?

A little cushion because Titegroup can be a little temp. sensative.

I was not aware of this. In what direction is TG temperature sensitive?

Hotter temperatures means higher velocities. I have not tested it extensively but have seen the same load shoot about 25 fps slower at 40-50 degrees than at 90 degrees. I say 40-50 because the air was 50 but I had left the ammo in the garage overnight and I am not sure it had warmed up to 50 by the time I fired it. Maybe some others have done more testing and can give you a more definitive answer.

Hotter temperatures means higher velocities.

Then I should double check my chrono results because the numbers I gave before were collected during the Summer months. Thanks for he info!

Yup, TiteGroup is temperature sensitive in my experience as well. See this thread for reference for other powders: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102744&view=findpost&p=1169809

TG has never been temp. sensitive for me. But, I've been using the same couple of jugs for quite a while.

I just got a new jug in. I'll have to check it out to see if it is different. (I believe somebody here ran a side-by-side experiment on this already.)

I haven't noticed temp. sensitivity in TG myself, but where I live we have two seasons: 1.) Hot and 2.) Not quite as hot.

I load at 4.2 because I live near sea level and have lots of humidity. Loading at much less than 4.2 grains of Tightgroup, my 4" M&Ps with slower barrels and Montana Gold bullets will sometimes not make minor. My G17 will, but I prefer one load, and 4.2 grains clocks 1,100 fps with a 124 CMJ or JHP from MG at 1.145" OAL, which is as long as I can run across all of my guns.

I have tried Titegroup twice and I can't make myself like the stuff. First time I found my loads were too snappy and had an unnecessary amount of flame. Last weekend I tried loading it again and the powder is so fine it would not dispense accurately out of my RCBS 1500 without a recalibration (which I am not going to do). The later is a short term problem as there is a Dillon 1050 in a box right next to me :).

I admit so many shooters use it there has to be something to it. But the flake powders are working well so for the time being I'll stick with them.

Montana Gold 124gr JHP 3.9gr Titegroup 1.10 OAL CCI Primer and usually Win cases = 134PF out of a M&P Pro and pretty close out of a G17.

I don't have an issue with flash or flip. It's the cleanest, cheapest, little smoke, most versatile powder I have used. I use it on everything I load; 9mm, .40. and .45. It is hot burning so I limit it to bullets that have a fully encapsulated rear.

Tite Group is temp sensitive but not that bad.

That's what I am finding out too. I chrono'ed 4.0gr of TG behind a 124gr MG FMJ in 40 deg weather and I didn't see a lot of difference from when I tested in the early Summer at 70 degs.