Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acceptable Time Frame to Post Scores

djeffers

I was just wondering what everyone thought is an acceptable time frame for a club to post scores? There are two clubs locally and 98% of the time the weekly club gets the scores posted the next day. The other club shoots monthly and we are one week away from shooting the monthly match again and the scores are still not posted. So, I thought I would see what other people thought was an acceptable time frame.

I realize that we are probably spoiled with the one club posting them the next day.

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about running for a position on the club's board? Not too late to toss your name into the hat for the 2012 year.

I would volunteer to do the stats. It is my understanding that it isn't a "board" position though.

No expected time frame. If they were paid to post scores, then maybe. Cut the volunteers a break.

Hey, I would just like to know a timeframe of when to expect them. I am NOT DEMANDING that they come in on a cetain day or a certain time. But, I do get your point.

I sent you a PM.

when in doubt, pull out your camera cell phone/iPhone, and snap pics of each of your scoresheets before you turn them in.

when you get home, pull out a pencil and paper, look at the pics and figure out your hit factors for yourself.

and if you have a buddy you're competing against, ask him to do the same, and compare HF's.

I reckon HQ's answer for acceptable would probably include whenever the classifier scores have to be submitted to them before the database gets run again. So if your local match is on the 16th, they like have a whole month, almost, to submit the classifier scores.

As a general rule we post scores no later than Tuesday after a Sunday match, usually we post the same night. If I had WiFI at the outdoor range, I could arguably post before leaving for dinner. We run Palms and 60 to 95 shooters with the average increasing monthly.

Way back when, in the dark days before EzWin I used WinMss and MAILED, yes put the printout in an envelope and affixed a number of postage stamps then dropped them in the mail. Usually had them out within a week. Back then only about half of us had email and the club didn't have a website.

Scoring a match IF you are also shooting it is a good way to add three to five hours to your match day. Electronic scoring requires most of the time pre-match, paper requires a lot more post match time.

The easy fix is to help out and do the scores. But I feel your pain, there are those days when I hit the web site a bizillion times to see if they have been posted and other days I hope they lost the score sheet.

I belong to 4 clubs, one just started the palms, results were done before the stages were down, posted as always same day, another gets posted by 6 pm same day, the next two could be 2 or 3 days.

I still shoot all of them, regardless of the timelyness of the posting and the worst one has the best stages, go figure. Yeah, ok I know the cure, do the scores.

All the local matches I have been to here in N. Central FL get scores up within 72 hours at the latest. Most of them are paper scored, too. The only hiccup in the last few matches was when some dufus in my squad took all the classifier stage score sheets home with him. They waited a few days for them to turn up, but they eventually gave up and posted DNFs for everyone missing a scoresheet on that stage and put up the scores for everyone.

Personally, I like to see them within that 72 hour time frame, but don't get wrapped around the axle about it. I have also considered taking pics of my score sheets, now...especially after the guy went home with some.

We don't use Palms so it all has to be done by hand. Every "new" shooter has to be entered into the database and everyone has to be registered. While registering, all the data (like emails) has to be checked and updated. Then the scores have to be entered. Then you run your reports and sit down and go through the results and look for strange things (like exceptionally high or low hit factors). I've never really checked to see how much cumulative time it takes to do all this. Stats (scoring) is one of the least glamorous jobs but I probably spend more time on that than on any other single job. If you really want to help out your club, then volunteer to do the stats. The MD will love you for it.

We run a match on Saturday with an average of about 75 shooters. I usually try and get the registrations done Sunday afternoon and start on the scoring Sunday evening. I finish the scoring Monday evening and the results (usually) go out on Tuesday. I give everyone until Friday to email me with any issues and then the classifiers and the results get uploaded to USPSA.

The reason we shoot is because it is a game. A game gets scored and not having the scores almost 3 weeks later is unacceptable. A quality match is not over until the scores are out. If it is too much for this volunteer to get them done in 3 weeks, then other competitors at the match need to GET volunteered even if this includes half the competitors staying to tear down, and others totaling score sheets and organizing them before they leave.

We don't use Palms so it all has to be done by hand. Every "new" shooter has to be entered into the database and everyone has to be registered. While registering, all the data (like emails) has to be checked and updated. Then the scores have to be entered. Then you run your reports and sit down and go through the results and look for strange things (like exceptionally high or low hit factors). I've never really checked to see how much cumulative time it takes to do all this. Stats (scoring) is one of the least glamorous jobs but I probably spend more time on that than on any other single job. If you really want to help out your club, then volunteer to do the stats. The MD will love you for it.

This is the stuff that takes forever. We have a relatively small match (10-25 shooters, plus reshoots), but registration, entering new shooters, double checking emails, etc takes forever. Actually entering and checking the scores goes pretty quick - 45 minutes if I'm at a table and focused, an hour or so if I'm watching TV and working on my laptop. Then there's uploading to USPSA, uploading to our website, emailing to the list, and other housekeeping details that aren't big time sucks individually, but manage to take longer than you'd expect.

I typically have our scores posted before I go to bed on match day, but I've become much more understanding of clubs that don't do that since I took over the stats job for our club. While I think much more than 2 or 3 days is a long time to wait to find out how you did, I can't begrudge someone for having a life outside USPSA.

BB

I was wondering the same thing, until I took over stats/scoring for my local club. :roflol:

We had about 70 shooters last month, and all in all, it took about 8 hours to do the scores, that includes register, input new, go through score sheets, find missing info, enter scores, run reports.

Believe it or not, I don't know whats worse, not having columns totaled up, or the fact that some people can't add them up properly. Then there are the missing info scoresheets, scoresheets for whom their friends filled them out, etc. =)

So I can easily see why it takes some clubs a few weeks to post scores, especially if they don't use palms, and you don't have too much help. It is a volunteer sport, and I am just glad to help and give back some way to keep the matches going.

I run scores weekly for several different matches and twice a month for a couple bigger matches. I usually get them done the next day or 2. Like others have said, and I'm not saying the OP is, if your complaining about the time it takes the scores to get sent out the volunteer for the job. I'm sure the person that does the scores will gladly let you take it over. Same goes with anything you don't like, volunteer to be the one to do it and change it, if not DON"T COMPLAIN :cheers:

I run scores weekly for several different matches and twice a month for a couple bigger matches. I usually get them done the next day or 2. Like others have said, and I'm not saying the OP is, if your complaining about the time it takes the scores to get sent out the volunteer for the job. I'm sure the person that does the scores will gladly let you take it over. Same goes with anything you don't like, volunteer to be the one to do it and change it, if not DON"T COMPLAIN :cheers:

Not so much a complaint, but a "straw poll" to gather feedback on what other people think.

Added:

If they were paid to post scores then I would complain. But since they are not and it is someone volunteering, I don't feel they should put up with any correspondence....other than positive.

Edited by djeffers

For people who take the scoresheets home with them to enter them over the next few days, who do you shanghai, err I mean ask to do the verification that scores were entered correctly (eg. Reports... Verify for stats) since ideally it's a different pair of eyes that double checks that the hits, times, and penalties were entered correctly?

Or do you just do the verification yourself?

I usually shoot about half of the match with a squad, and then I start shooting through so that I can start entering scores. At times, the last set of scores are entered as the last scoresheets are dropped off at the shack, and it's just a matter of getting enough volunteers in the shack to verify scores before we call the match official. I try to bribe folks with Oreos for their help. biggrin.gif Over the past few months, I've been uploading scores and classifiers using my cellphone while people are stowing props. Prior to getting a smartphone that I could tether, I used to drop by the local Starbucks on my way home to upload scores, and get a drink for the road.

For people who take the scoresheets home with them to enter them over the next few days, who do you shanghai, err I mean ask to do the verification that scores were entered correctly (eg. Reports... Verify for stats) since ideally it's a different pair of eyes that double checks that the hits, times, and penalties were entered correctly?

Or do you just do the verification yourself?

I verify myself. It's a club match, and I know most of the shooters, so it's pretty obvious what I need to double check if the D class production guy outshot the M class open guy. At a level II or above, there's obviously a need for independent verification. But for a level I match, I think I can use the same level of diligence I use to balance my checkbook and be pretty confident in the results.

BB

Not to rub it in or anything, but when Carolyn scored our matches (yes, she worked during the match) she had a rule that the scores would not be posted until the props were put away. She was that good. With Palm scoring, it is much the same. Often we have to wait to post the scores. If we post before stuff is put away, some shooters don't work, just see the scores and leave. Holding the scores seems to be an incentive to complete the job. So, call it 10 minutes after stuff is put away. Yes, we have the computer on line at the match. Some clubs do not have that luxury.