Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Priority vs Tactical Sequence

F106 Fan

Reading CoF 10 and the definitions for Tactical Priority and Tactical Sequence, I have a question or two.

For Tactical Priority, I am to shoot the targets either from near to far (as long as there is more than 2 yards difference in distance) or as they are seen. I am guessing that if multiple shots are required that all shots are fired one after the other, right? Three targets, two shots each would be fired as 2-2-2, near to far, right?

For Tactical Sequence, I am to shoot one shot on each target and then repeat. Three targets with two shots each would be shot as 1-1-2-1-1. However, and this is my main question, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to shoot them in some tactical priority order. I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that said anything about the order in which they are to be shot. So, if I want to sweep left to right and then right to left, that would be ok regardless of target distance, right?

I have yet to get involved with IDPA (just another new guy!) - the weather wasn't permitting this past weekend so I'll probably head to the clinic the first Saturday in December. In the meantime, I have a lot of rules to study.

Richard

However, and this is my main question, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to shoot them in some tactical priority order. I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that said anything about the order in which they are to be shot. So, if I want to sweep left to right and then right to left, that would be ok regardless of target distance, right?

Perfectly legal. And actually by far the fastest way to do it, instead of having to deal with a long target transition between shots 3 and 4.

Correct on Tac-Priority order. Taq -Seq is to be shot in any order, thank the heavens they removed the ability to combine taq-seq & tac-pri in one target array.

I don't believe I ever saw that at a match. How would that work?

I had never seen it used around a barricade slicing the pie but have sen it used near to far. I actually kinda liked it since it made shooters think about the order and how best to shoot it.

I've seen at several matches, sanctioned and all. Usually on a standards type stage without any cover.

Put two targets wide at 3 yards. Two targets not quite so wide at 7 yards. Two targets almost side by side at 11 yards.

Decription might read like this:

Engage all 6 targets with one round each in tactical priority, in tacital sequence. Perform a tac load or RWR and re-engage in tac priority & tac seq.

(You could also start the shooter with 6 rounds only, or start them loaded to div cap and not specify a reload, etc.)

Koski

Edited by Steve Koski

• 4 years later...

So for stage construction would it not be ok to start the shooter with 3 targets side by side at say 3 yards (tactical sequence) then make them engage a second array that are staggered distance of at least 2 yards using tactical priority?  Like below.  P1 = Start position

T6

T5

T4

T1 T2 T3

P1

Edited by 3gunnuts

On 11/7/2011 at 0:09 PM, F106 Fan said:

Reading CoF 10 and the definitions for Tactical Priority and Tactical Sequence, I have a question or two.

For Tactical Priority, I am to shoot the targets either from near to far (as long as there is more than 2 yards difference in distance) or as they are seen. I am guessing that if multiple shots are required that all shots are fired one after the other, right? Three targets, two shots each would be fired as 2-2-2, near to far, right?

For Tactical Sequence, I am to shoot one shot on each target and then repeat. Three targets with two shots each would be shot as 1-1-2-1-1. However, and this is my main question, there doesn't seem to be a requirement to shoot them in some tactical priority order. I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that said anything about the order in which they are to be shot. So, if I want to sweep left to right and then right to left, that would be ok regardless of target distance, right?

I have yet to get involved with IDPA (just another new guy!) - the weather wasn't permitting this past weekend so I'll probably head to the clinic the first Saturday in December. In the meantime, I have a lot of rules to study.

Richard

The mental cue I give new shooters to keep them straight:

Tactical Sequence has that key "S" and it stands for "Skipping around while shooting things."

(1-1-2-1-1 or similar)

It's stupid and/or childish sounding but it really sticks in your head.

If it doesn't specify tactical SEQUENCE the you're either shooting near-to-far, or slicing the pie if they've stuck a wall between the targets and your position.

Edited by MemphisMechanic