Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Barrels

jetdriver71

I've got 2 SVI limited sighttracker guns. One with the AET barrel which is 1/32 twist I think and the other is their standard 1/16 twist. Soooo whats the difference as far as shooting is concerned. Can someone explain "standard" vs. a Gain twist barrel. Any advantages? Basically looking for an explanation how a barrel is made etc.... Thanks!!!

I always thought that when its a 24" inch twist rate ... The bullet turns once ever 24" inches of travel... Or is my knowledge is flawed ???

In a gain twist barrel, it depends where in the barrel the bullet is. Just down stream of the chamber, the rifling is straight. At the muzzle, 1/24 .

Schummann says that there is some advantage in accuracy with a gain twist barrel. Like I said lots of info on the subject on their website. check it out if you're curious RippSpeed. I think you have to be a physisist (spelling?) to understand it all tho.

I wonder when SVI will come with more info regarding their new barrel design.

The text on the frontpage hasn't changed the last couple of weeks.

Infinity News

NEW FROM INFINITY: New barrel design with improved strength in the rib and a new rifling scheme with a significant gain in accuracy!!! More details soon.

Guess the "more details soon" is in SVI time which is considerably longer than GMT. But so worth the wait. I want my sight tracker for Christmas! :bow:

• 1 month later...

Since the topic I started got locked down I'll bump this one.

Has anyone got any info on the new barrels? It's been so long that the news regarding the new barrels dropped from the news page but the details never where given.

DVC Frank

(still waiting for my SVI unfortunately still waiting, X-mas 2012?? )

• 3 months later...

If anyone is still trying to get a better idea of the 'Gain Twist Rifling' I took a pretty cool picture that shows the rifling in my barrel. I can post it tonight when I get home if anyone wants.

I don't know about the changes to the rifling but the change to the rib was to add a radius where the rib meets the barrel because they were having too many barrels breaking at that point.

Brian

Brian, Is this radius around the whole rib? I'll have to check my hybrid barrel when I get home to see if it has the radius. Is the alternative, just a sharp 90* edge between what would be the normal barrel and the rib?

-Eli

If anyone is still trying to get a better idea of the 'Gain Twist Rifling' I took a pretty cool picture that shows the rifling in my barrel. I can post it tonight when I get home if anyone wants.

I don't know about the changes to the rifling but the change to the rib was to add a radius where the rib meets the barrel because they were having too many barrels breaking at that point.

Brian

Brian, Is this radius around the whole rib? I'll have to check my hybrid barrel when I get home to see if it has the radius. Is the alternative, just a sharp 90* edge between what would be the normal barrel and the rib?

-Eli

The non radiused barrels have pretty much a 90 deg edge between the rib and the barrel and the back of the rib(the part that sits up against the slide) has a round profile. The radiused barrels have an obvious radius around them and have a more squared off profile on the back of the rib.

There is a close up picture of one of the radiused ones here:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133632&st=0

The non radiused barrels have pretty much a 90 deg edge between the rib and the barrel and the back of the rib(the part that sits up against the slide) has a round profile. The radiused barrels have an obvious radius around them and have a more squared off profile on the back of the rib.

There is a close up picture of one of the radiused ones here:http://www.brianenos...pic=133632&st=0

Thanks for the link, I guess I have the last generation SV barrel, I hope I dont have any problems with it shooting major 180gr with TG...... So far (~250 rds) it has been exemplary! :cheers:

There is a close up picture of one of the radiused ones here:http://www.brianenos...pic=133632&st=0

Thanks for the link, I guess I have the last generation SV barrel, I hope I dont have any problems with it shooting major 180gr with TG...... So far (~250 rds) it has been exemplary! :cheers:

My understanding is that the problem mostley came up in open guns when ever there were any. I have seen a barrel or two just like yours with around 100k rounds through them and they were still going.

My understanding is that the problem mostley came up in open guns when ever there were any. I have seen a barrel or two just like yours with around 100k rounds through them and they were still going.

I'm very glad to hear that clarification, thanks! I'm shooting major .40 for limited, so it should be fine. :D

The accuracy is just incredible.

For certain, that's solid accuracy - it looks like the groups were measured "outside to outside", though - a bullet diameter should be subtracted to get the usual group size.

However, FWIW - I wouldn't label that incredible. I've shot similar or better groups using an assembled gun shot from a rest (in a gun with an STI TruBor barrel, no less - a barrel that "word on the street" would have you believe can't hit the broad side of a barn). For instance, the group here: http://re-gun.com/2011/11/for-sale-brazos-custom-gunworks-pro-sx/ - was shot w/ Zero 125gr bullets at 50 yards, and measured just under an inch center-to-center. That's a full build, no test fixture.