Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drill out dp sight

e-mishka

Hmm, ill try that. Any pix of how it looks ?

I just played around with some FO I had laying here.

When larger, the perimeter doesn't have the brilliance of the core, it's still bright enought IMO.

The piece measured .039 and I got the bulb to .088

6337193907_fe2beaa436_z.jpg

My concern would be the durability. With so much material hanging onto the end, if loose at all, would it snap off more easily. Only experimenting would tell.

6337193847_af1ee2e3e9_z.jpg

Or... It's not as much fun but you could just order a bigger one for 35 bucks and sell the old one for 20.

Edited by azrik

Have you tried putting a little longer FO rod in and melting it back further? I've gotten a pretty big bulb out of .040(almost too big)

+100 on this. I went from the huge stock fiber on the M&P Pro front sight (which I loved) to the DP front sight. I don't think it would be worth the hassle of drilling the thing out and possibly screwing it up.

One thing I did learn though, is that sometimes when melting it back to get a larger bulb, it can distort the fiber making it loose inside the bore of the sight. Mine broke in a match last year after doing what I just described and I noticed before leaving the house that it had a little slop in it. I remember I was shooting a plate rack and it went....green, green, green, WHITE! :angry: