Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light for toolhead

I didn't find any threads discussing lights, so I thought I'd share.

I bought this $1.99 keychain light from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/led-keychain-light-90910.html

It fits perfectly in the hole of my 550 tool heads and illuminates the cases well so you can see the powder inside.

Don't know how long it will last, how long the batteries last, or anything else long term. But I figured for $1.99 I could run it for a while.. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post a picture! something that cool is worth copying/plagarizing!

Definitely. This would be a good place for a collection of Dillon "light mods."

be

Or Hornady LNL light mods...

We're in the Dillon forum, not the 'non-Dillon' forum :-P

I have used Littlite Products in other applications and think they might work for use on Dillon presses.

They come in either high intensity halogen or LED models. The halogen is brighter but radiates more heat. Halogen lamps are also more sensitive to vibration which could shorten the life of the bulbs. The LEDs run cooler and will tolerate vibrations better.

Littlite has lamps with gooseneck lengths of 6, 12 and 18 inches mounted either on top of the chassis or on the end of the gooseneck.

Mounting options include a magnetic base (MB) to secure the light, a snap mount (SM)(quick release material) and a high tension clamp (HTC). The can also be permanently mounted on the machine without the need for any mounting accessories.

I took some of the LED's that attach to one's cap and cut off the clips. Then used velcro to attach them to the side of my 550/650's---photos attached. My problem is leaving the light on after I finish and having to continually replace the batteries.

Yeah..did the same thing. Got tired of replacing batteries. I bought one of those goose-neck magnifier lamps. $39 at Office Max or Staples but got mine on sale for $24. I think Harbor Freight had these in white for $19.99 when the had a local grand opening. It's flexible enough I can position it to shine down on station 3 for my powder visual check. It also is handy because I can grab it and use the magnifyer to read head stamps. Worked out better than rigging up a dedicated light with wires clipped to the press or, like The Vigilant, having to keep replacing batteries.

I think someone (I forgot who made them) used to make dedicated light systems for presses that everyone carried. However, like that inexpensive primer filler that Midway used to have, these are not available anymore. I think it was called "Press Light".

see attached jpeg...

Undrpsi

post-34845-0-10116600-1320331601_thumb.j

I bought one of those goose-neck magnifier lamps. $39 at Office Max or Staples but got mine on sale for $24. I think Harbor Freight had these in white for $19.99 when the had a local grand opening. It's flexible enough I can position it to shine down on station 3 for my powder visual check. It also is handy because I can grab it and use the magnifyer to read head stamps.

I love my lighted magnifier lamp. Comes in handy at repair and fitting time, too.

BB

I did this a different way... I went to frys electronics and bought a cheap *powered* usb hub. Then I bought 3 or 4 of those LED gooseneck flexible lamps that they make for laptops, the kind that just plug into a usb port. I then filled up the usb hub with those and bent them where I wanted light. Tiewrapped the hub to the side of the casefeeder mount arm such that it reached everywhere I needed. Did the same on the 1050 as I did with the 650. Just need to equipment last 650 and they all will be the basic same setup.

I think I paid $2 for the hub and another couple bucks each for the led lights.

Alan

I did this a different way... I went to frys electronics and bought a cheap *powered* usb hub. Then I bought 3 or 4 of those LED gooseneck flexible lamps that they make for laptops, the kind that just plug into a usb port. I then filled up the usb hub with those and bent them where I wanted light. Tiewrapped the hub to the side of the casefeeder mount arm such that it reached everywhere I needed. Did the same on the 1050 as I did with the 650. Just need to equipment last 650 and they all will be the basic same setup.

I think I paid $2 for the hub and another couple bucks each for the led lights.

Alan

As a computer geek, I like your approach!

I like the lighted magnifier. They are doing them in LED now. Not much more than the traditional ones.

The nest option is to actually put in proper lights over and around your bench and then add one of the magnifiers at the back of the bench and move it to suit your needs at the time your are using it.

I found a little gooseneck LED light at TSC and clipped it on the primer tube of my SDB. I works well except the light is blue instead of white but you can see right down into the cases.

Is this the one? I think it works great.

post-9312-0-51946200-1320835930_thumb.jp

I found a little gooseneck LED light at TSC and clipped it on the primer tube of my SDB. I works well except the light is blue instead of white but you can see right down into the cases.

Is this the one? I think it works great.

That's the one I use. IIRC, a little over a buck at the dollar store.

The light that SDM shows is the one I use for my 550, except I put it in the side hole of the press, then I take a rubber band and shape the flex part together so it shines just on station 3, it works real good for me, the hole is just right to fit the pen light in and it stays really good, haven't had any problems yet anyway, been using it that way for 6 months since my other light shucked out, it was bigger and fit into the groove of the press on left side in back then I fixed the flex part to shine on station 3, it worked but I like this set up better and easier to set up, just push in the pen light into the hole and go, the rubber band stays all the time on the flex part.

All for now JD Trampas

I found a great set up on ebay. Search for "LED reloading press light system" or something close to that. But, don't buy thru ebay, it is cheaper on the site listed in the item description.

I found it and it looks cool, gunna order it. Wonder if anyone has used their

egro roller handle for the 650 yet???? Is it more comfortable than Dillons alum

roller handle???