Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light for toolhead

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a lightbar setup for my press from Inline Fabrication. I have generally poor lighting in my workshop and was looking to be able to better see powder levels inside the cases prior to seating a bullet.

They sell a model that only has one light bar. It's what I started out with (and it worked really well) but I accidentally broke one of the wires by hamfistidly pulling on the power cord where it attaches to the light bar to get the velcro to unattach from it's backing (I wanted to experiment with the light in a different spot). I got ahold of Dan at Inline Fabrication and explained what I'd done. I ended up mailing back my light and for a very nominal fee he sent me the new and improved model that has pigtail mounts that lets you run multiple lights:

Pigtails-1.jpg

The metal backing on the lights cleanly forms to the curves of your press:

Largeinstalled-1.jpg

smallinstalled-1.jpg

Of course you'd never reload in the dark, but here's a shot with all the lights in the room turned off except the press mounted ones to show how much light it throws:

Bothlighted-1.jpg

Largelighted-1.jpg

smalllighted-1.jpg

I'm very happy with how much useful light it throws and I think it's a more than worthwhile (and inexpensive) addition for a progressive press to help improve your awareness during the loading process. I hope you guys find it as helpful as I did!

• 1 month later...

Great ideas in this thread - thanks!

Local ace hardware-light wand. about 30 LED's-tins of candlepower for $8. couple wire ties and yer in business.

I'm assuming that is a plug-in model and not battery operated?

Here's a link to a very nice light setup. Shame they don't have one yet for a 550. Site says they're working on it. http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

I have had this for several months.

When I received it, it had double-sided tape that wouldn't stay put.

I cleaned the area with alcohol, let it dry, but it wasn't the right choice for "sticking" to the press.

A couple of drops of Gorilla glue and it is the best!

You can bend the top over to make it shine right in the case to check for the dropped powder load.

Great ideas in this thread - thanks!

Local ace hardware-light wand. about 30 LED's-tins of candlepower for $8. couple wire ties and yer in business.

I'm assuming that is a plug-in model and not battery operated?

2 AA batteries-don't want any 110 by gunpowder.

Edited by outerlimits

• 2 months later...

Just got my LED light kit from In Line Fabrication. Mounted it in on my 550 in about 20 seconds, plugged it in and now have a great light source. I mounted it on the forward pillar of the frame so it wouldn't be across the plate shining in my eyes. Slightly bent it at the top and directed even more light into station 2. Neat, clean, out of the way and does what its supposed to do. Looks great on the press too. Got a second 6 inch strip for my Rock Chucker. Unplug the Dillon and plug in the RC....best of both worlds. ( They also have a "Y" connector so you can have both presses lit up at the same time if you'd like.)