Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oil cooled PC

Skydiver

This maybe old news for some, but I figured I'd repost here since Brian seemed to be highly amused by the water cooled PC quip I made earlier:

one_year1.JPG

The full story about the original build is here: http://www.pugetsyst...m/submerged.php

And the v3 of the build: http://www.pugetsystems.com/aquarium-computer.php

Edited by Skydiver

Boy, I cringed initially a long time ago when I learned that the higher-powered IBM mainframes were water-cooled. Water?! Plumbing running all through all those electronics?! Seriously??!!! What about condensation? But I got used to it (many shops were already running them) and it became a running joke about keeping a shipping pallet full of Crystal Springs around to top off the processor.

But full immersion in mineral oil??!?!! Oh man, that's just wrong!

Boy, I cringed initially a long time ago when I learned that the higher-powered IBM mainframes were water-cooled. Water?! Plumbing running all through all those electronics?! Seriously??!!! What about condensation? But I got used to it (many shops were already running them) and it became a running joke about keeping a shipping pallet full of Crystal Springs around to top off the processor.

But full immersion in mineral oil??!?!! Oh man, that's just wrong!

The CRAY-2 was a fluorocarbon fluid filled computer. There were constant jokes about Cray Fish.

Well okay, but... this is an actual fish tank! The motherboard, plugged in cards, processor, power and data cables; they're all swimming! I mean... just damn! And I guess discrete pci express video cards with their own built-in fans are just out of the question now.

It's not that hard to take off the shell and fan on the video cards. Notice the specs on their v3 build: 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB setup for Crossfire.

And for the silent PC crowd, manufacturers still make passively cooled discrete PCI-E video cards. These are usually targeted at people building media PCs.