Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun in Washington state

I am looking to get into 3-gun in western Washington and I am having trouble finding any actual competitions around the area. I am fairly competent with all my firearms and have already practiced on homemade targets, but I am looking for a place to, "get my feet wet"

W. Washington not so much, but you're only a bit north of Sherwood and Tri-County Gun Club. They hold 3-Gun Tactical matches there on the 4th Sunday, Practical Rifle on the 2nd Saturday, Top Shot Iain Harrison runs a CQB rifle match in there sometime, and I heard there will be one or two more three gun matches popping up next year. A little further south is Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. They run a 3 Gun on the second Sunday of the month and the NW Multigun has been there the last several years.

Here is the link to Wolverton Mountain's web site.

This is the first one they have put on up there to see if there is much interest.

There are only 3 stages. 1. pistol/rifle 2. shotgun/rifle 3. shotgun/rifle

Round count: 24 pistol/ 29 birdshot/38 rifle. Usually need more! 7 1/2 and 8 bird shot only

Walk through at 9:30am Sunday the 30th, $12 donation

Heshin,

Thank you for the update...I really thought it was Saturday...would have shown up a day early and that would have sucked since 3 of us from the Olympic Peninsula are coming together! I talked to Tom Nelson and confirmed, hope to see you this Sunday!

RLTW,

Busyhawk

Here is the link to Wolverton Mountain's web site.

This is the first one they have put on up there to see if there is much interest.

There are only 3 stages. 1. pistol/rifle 2. shotgun/rifle 3. shotgun/rifle

Round count: 24 pistol/ 29 birdshot/38 rifle. Usually need more! 7 1/2 and 8 bird shot only

Walk through at 9:30am Sunday the 30th, $12 donation

How was this match? Can someone provide descriptions of the stages? What are the facilities like and how far can you shoot rifle? How many attended? What divisions are recognized and what rules/scoring are used?

Thanks,

ac

Ok, but just short down and dirty,

USPSA-ish time plus scoring...

3 stages,

Stage 1 consisted of 3 sets of targets of 4 each paper (3x4=12) targets, you started with a unloaded holstered pistol and a loaded rifle on a table. At the start you had to engage all paper targets with 2 rounds to the body, abandon the pistol and transition to the rifle and place one shot to the head of each of the same targets to neutralize. Of course shooting the same target with both rifle and pistol is very NON-USPSA but was fun non the less.

Stage 2 consisted of 2 shooting positions, you start with your loaded shotgun at the low ready and your rifle is loaded and staged at the second shooting position. You engage 9 targets with the shotgun from behind a wall and move to the second shooting position and transition to a rifle and shoot 12 paper targets and I think 8 tops/heads of a bowling pins...hard target to hit from a port from about 20 yards.

Stage 3 consisted of starting with a shotgun at the low ready and your rifle preposition-ed at a table and chair about 35 yards away. At the buzzer engage 20 pieces of steel and transition to a rifle, sit in a chair and draw a card, that will indicate which paper target to shoot at about 100 yards away which you must engage with 8 shots. You had to be sitting for all shots with the rifle!

All divisions were there but HM that I know of. There were about 38 shooters so the stages took a little time since there were at least 12 shooters per squad.

I only saw 3 shooting bays but there might be more there...I doubt it though.

The longest bay is about 150 yards but if you use the whole yardage you may have to close the other bays if you want to move.

Pretty good match considering it rained lightly almost all day. Not sure if it was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive from Shelton, WA one way but we wanted to support the sport. I placed 2nd to Doug and my total shooting time was 118 seconds. 5 hours of driving for less than 2 mins of shooting:-)

Long live 3 gun!

RLTW,

Scott

• 4 years later...

I know this is an older thread now, but wanted to follow up and see if there was any new information. I'm moving to Olympia, WA in a couple weeks. I can't find any clubs with a monthly multi-gun competition that are less than 2/3 hours away. I see that the Kitsap club runs the Courage Classic annually but haven't had any more luck beyond that. Thanks.

I know this is an older thread now, but wanted to follow up and see if there was any new information. I'm moving to Olympia, WA in a couple weeks. I can't find any clubs with a monthly multi-gun competition that are less than 2/3 hours away. I see that the Kitsap club runs the Courage Classic annually but haven't had any more luck beyond that. Thanks.

You might try contacting some of the shooters on this facebook page. I don't shoot 3 gun, but there is quite a bit of it going on around W/WA. https://www.facebook.com/groups/175382025857069/

FAS has a match a few times a year in Onalaska, I think 2nd Sunday. Otherwise I believe your only choice is to drive up past the Seattle area. Marysville Rifle Club and Custer Sportsman's have matches every month.

Kitsap is closed to matches indefinitely so I wouldn't hold out on the Courage Classic.

There are a few 3 gunners in the Olympia area but matches are lacking.

There is a IDPAish 3gun match about 40 miles south at FAS, then 2 hours south near Portland, another at Marysville about 2 hours North and one more at Custer that's 3 hours North.

USPSA matches are fairly well represented in the area, but most ranges in the area don't have the space for 3gun.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've joined that Facebook group.

Unfortunate about Kitsap, I just heard about the court injunction from the club staff. Offered to volunteer some legal services to them, maybe they will take me up on the offer.

I will check out some of those matches mentioned.

FYI, I did find another monthly IDPA type rifle match at the Renton club: http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=69941&p=670508#p670508