Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annoying shooters

thebigdogg316

IMO, claiming unsportsmanlike conduct on some jackass who constantly runs his mouth is a real stretch. Smack talk is annoying, but "unsportsmanlike"? Really?

I agree with pickles, 8.6.2 seems much more appropriate. If Jabber Jaw's constant yacking is a distraction for ANY shooter, that is definite interference.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that if a guy is running his mouth, disturbing other shooters (that's where the unsportsmanlike part comes in), he should get a warning and if he doesn't shut up and shoot, he gets DQ'd.

I don't go to matches to hear a bunch of crap from other shooters. I go to shoot and be with my friends. If I wanted to hear a bunch of crap on Sun morning, I'd still be married.

I would think that if a guy is running his mouth, disturbing other shooters (that's where the unsportsmanlike part comes in), he should get a warning and if he doesn't shut up and shoot, he gets DQ'd.

I don't go to matches to hear a bunch of crap from other shooters. I go to shoot and be with my friends. If I wanted to hear a bunch of crap on Sun morning, I'd still be married.

I understand your point even if I don't agree with it. Disturbing other shooters is, IMO, interference. Unsportsmanlike is, IMO, doing something unfair, like cheating, lying, screwing with someone's equipment, etc.

I wouldn't DQ Jabber Jaws for unsportsmanlike conduct, but after a warning, I would DQ for interference if his flapping gums are bothering more than one shooter. But that is just me. And, btw, the DQ would be a last resort. Politely asking him to refrain from his comments, giving him something productive to do, etc., would be my first options. Going to another squad is a band-aid, not a cure.

• 7 months later...

What I dislike are shooters who seem to enjoy mouthing off too much. For example, at a recent match the weather was warm and everyone helped with range duties, except one who sat on his ass and maybe walked forward with tape ONCE. So I don't mind him yaking but when he doesn't lift a leg to help that irritated me to the point I didn't banter back as usual. I actually liked this fellow until this match.

I recently introduced a new shooter to the sport and also helped him with his first major level 2 match. I shared with him info on guns selection, holsters, mags/extension and all. Now all he wants to do is beat me. I don't mind that so much as that he is so competitive and gets mad if he does poorly or if I outshoot him. At a classifier, a new RO(woman) gives him 2 misses that another overrules to 1. All he can say to me is "...what a fat f*c#$g b*t#@h she was..." I was stunned and reminded him that everyone is new and makes mistakes. He comments that if they only allowed qualified shooters at big matches then there would be more room for better shooters. WOW, I am grossly disappointed and wonder if I've made a mistake? What ever I've shared with him has cut out a major learning curve I went through and here he is acting stupid. I'm deciding not to shoot with this fellow again if I can help it nor do I want him on my squad.

Any thoughts?

I'm deciding not to shoot with this fellow again if I can help it nor do I want him on my squad.

Any thoughts?

Yep.

You go on being you. He goes on being him. The universe has a way of finding balance.

Do as you must. He can interpret your actions as he pleases.

I'm deciding not to shoot with this fellow again if I can help it nor do I want him on my squad.

Any thoughts?

Yep.

You go on being you. He goes on being him. The universe has a way of finding balance.

:cheers:

Any thoughts?

Yep.

Great advice. :cheers:

I find it difficult taking the indirect route. I'd likely step him aside and teach him some of the ettiquette required to compete in this sport like a gentleman. I had a good friend come up to me when I'm on deck and ask "Do you know what you are going to do?" just to get into my head. I would say "Yeah, I'm going to engage all the targets." After the stage I had a nice discussion with him and told him that that was rude and don't do it again. Some time people will just try to mess with you. If it's over the top and ignoring doesn't work- then sometimes the direct approach works fine. I've actually had people feel bad after talking with them... sometimes they don't know how much of a distraction they are....

A) Flat out tell him you find him distracting, and to please be quiet - some folks shoot better if distracted right before they shoot - maybe he's one of those people, and doesn't think he's hurting anyone. (Doesn't sound like it, though.)

B) Double-plug, and turn-off the mikes while on-deck/in the hole/while loading afterwards.

C) Just refuse to squad with him.

I try to cut as much BS and drama out of my life as possible.

Whether it's a shooter or a family member who is causing the angst, doesn't matter, I will remove them from my life as much as I can.

It's probably a function of getting older and wanting the best for the days and years remaining.

A guy that only taped once? Must be an issue. You should offer to carry his range bag. ;)

Hmm, you have a point. Maybe a handicap parking placard for his chair is in order. Anyone have a walker to loan for range days like this???:devil:

There is one of these guys at every range. It doesn't matter if its USPSA, IDPA, 3 gun or a steel match, he is always there. If it bothers you then he has accomplished his mission. We have/had one at our range who complained about stages, about who he was squaded with, it didn't matter he complained. I really don't know what happened but now he is one of the best workers, donates a lot of time to building props and really tries to be liked. I am confused.

• 4 months later...

We had several individuals that like to "rag on" other squad members. So we squadded them together. It was the birth of the Piranha Squad. Eventually they pissed each other off so much they didn't come back.

Lock him in the restroom.:-)

And then if he gets loud turn it over!

I have duct tape in my bag just for that situation. You piss me off enough you better not use the porta potty :devil:

On our range, the duct tape is in the storage container right next to the Port-A-Pottie. I'll have to remember this technique for future applications..... <evil grin>

Not at the range but at the hotel during a major a young man was telling me how great he was (he spent about 45 minutes doing it) and how he "Dude, I destroyed the first half of that stage". After looking up the scores later, he forgot to mention the mikes on the 2nd half of the stage.

He was also doing a great job of trashing the GM that eventually won the division. Foot speed ain't all there is kid...gotta hit all the targets after you get there.... :devil:

Not at the range but at the hotel during a major...<snip>

Reminds me of the guy that was practicing his reloads at the hotel before a major match. He put a round through the bed, skipped off the floor and into the drywall. Good thing it was an outside wall with brick on the other side. Management asked him to leave and not return. From then on, seems nobody wanted to share a room with him when going to those "out of town" matches.

We had a couple new shooters which I myself am but these two had zero range etiquette. I had brought my wife out to shoot for her first match and she followed me in shooting order. I finished a stage picked up my mags and went to put them into my range bag, and when I come back she is taping up targets and she is the shooter that is up! There wasn't anyone helping at all with 6 other shooters in our squad I wasn't happy. The thing that really put the icing on the cake was the next stage I finished shooting and she was helping tape up again with the two worst of the group actually helping. She ran out of tape and went to get ready, and as she is walking away they snootily asked "Are you going to help finish taping?" Needless to say I wasn't there for that one but I was a little peeved when I found that out. The thing about most of these people is that they don't usually stick around to long so when they do finally quit, you really appreciate the nice guys and gals that are the majority of the crowd.