Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked comp

mcattack

Does anyone know if a titanium Compensator can be welded. I just got my gun running good, setup with good loads, loaded 600 rounds for the Gator and today the comp cracked. I would just like to get it welded for now and get another comp later just not sure if I can weld Titanium or if I can find someone local to do it.

Hello: Then you just answered your own question. Welding the comp may also cause stress cracks unless done in the correct setting and filler rod. I also know that welding some Titanium is not that healthy and is done in a vessel to prevent stress cracks. I had a neighbor that could weld everything and learned his trade over years with the navy on aircraft. We moved and I lost his skill and knowledge that he would teach me. You could get a Bedell titanium Comp from Shooters Connection or just a standard steel comp also. Thanks, Eric

It's my understanding that an almost new titanium compensator cracked. If that is the case, it was likely shaving bullets every shot. I don't know if that is the case or if you are taking that into account from the limited amount if information presented. If it is the case, even if you repair it, it will break in short order again.