Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start them young

TWHaz

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I just can't approve of that. Here's my litmus test for whether someone should have a firearm without someone standing there to control them: Can they be stung in the neck by a wasp and still maintain safety? I would argue a six-year-old cannot.

Matt

I wish this kid shot at my club, I could CRUSH him!

Haha, then get in his face and scream obscenities too, right?

It's obvious whoever put the gun in his hands has enough interest in the sport to have quality gear and even set his child up well to have fun and do some shooting. That would lead me to believe that the child has been sat down more than once and taught the finer points of firearm safety. There is of course more risk of say 'the wasp sting' possibility, but you could say that for a lot of full grown men too. As long as safety does not appear to be an issue, there is no issue.

CM

Yeah, I just can't approve of that. Here's my litmus test for whether someone should have a firearm without someone standing there to control them: Can they be stung in the neck by a wasp and still maintain safety? I would argue a six-year-old cannot.

I have seen a lot of adults that can't maintain safety without any wasps. As a matter of fact the "new shooters meeting" held before every club match is simply to inform shooters of the level of safety we demand of them while playing our game.

I coached kids in baseball and soccer for years and had my own kids to judge. 6 years old may be a little young to start not just for attention span but gun control is on the heavy side even though this young man did OK. Now that said starting them at home or the range 1 on 1 is good but the ability to teach and control there actions would be a lot better. My son started shooting at 2 years old but my grandsons are not ready at 3 years old. Each kid is different and most be judge individually to there ability's judgement and mental ability to stay focused. And let me add a little tid bit on kids and guns, something I have always done with my kids was set them down and told them if you want to see the guns come to me we will take the gun make it safe and let them look in a safe and secure environment. If they wanted to shoot If possible I let them shoot. It takes all the curiosity out of weapons and they are less inclined to sneak in and take a peak. Also I was very firm on this they never pulled the guns out with anyone else friends cousin who ever was not going to happen. I have started my grand sons on my air soft but at 3 and 4 the airsoft gun is to heavy for good control but as stated all kids are different and some are just ahead of the curve compared to others of there age.

Just my 2 cents which in this economy is absolutely nothing.

I think one should consider the chance of injury to the young bones of the child firing maj caliber rounds repeatedly, and to their nerves w/c are still in tender age. Its fun to see them do our thing but I often cringe to the possible detrimental effects it could bring to their growth. I have my own children I regularly teach to shoot but my youngest 8 yr-old, although can handle my 9mm maj open gun well and likes it, I let him fire it the least and my .22 ruger the most, say in 1:10 ratio or smaller.

jm.02

With the stuff I have seen kids do on the playground, a day at the range isn't going to damage them forever.

However, one sure fire method to keep new shooters from wanting to shoot is to give them a gun that is abusive or "not fun" to shoot.

Edited by jmorris

Im not against teaching kids our sports, but that when done too early in the kids age, the potential for damage is pretty high. And that we should not trust the kids' discretion to like it or not, because as adults we should know better than them.

That kid in the video has developed a higher level of skills relative to his age. Do you think he acquired that in just a day in the range?

I think the potential for damage here is repetitive type of practice we do to be good at certain skills, not comparable to what kids normally do on the playground.

Edited by BoyGlock

Btw, that video was taken in the Austral-Asia Lev 4 match in Clark, Phils, done 2 years ago. I remember that particular stage very well. Seeing those IROA and NROI officiating the kids run, I think it was not just for video purposes.

In my humble opinion. IPSC should set age limits for its participants in their sanctioned matches, bar those too young and too old for the sports for safety and health reasons.

That kid in the video is too young and tender in age for my taste. He is asian so his physical built is not as robust as a caucasian. But its just me, YMMV.

Sorry to contradict the majority here.

Edited by BoyGlock

I think he means in body size, not mental maturity. Of course at 6 that doesn't hold as true, you can be a tiny 6yo regardless of race. I just know that whenever something bad has happened to me with a gun in my hand I've had the presence of mind to keep it downrange at all costs, and I don't think ANY 6yo in the world is capable of that 100% of the time. I'm all for letting them shoot in a controlled environment, but USPSA is NOT a controlled environment in the sense of being able to stop a shooter before a bad shot goes off. We all know that if we freaked out and flapped our hands (as kids tend to do when something hurts or shocks them, just feed a child a jalapeno to test) then the first shot is going somewhere unknown before the RO can step in and grab the gun. Sorry, can't approve, not when there are other people around.

Matt

We do not allow kids under 12 to shoot at my club and they have to have their firearms safety certificate too. I am all for kids shooting with their parents but not under match pressure. No matter how safe we try to make this sport, it's still very dangerous. Just think of what would happen if a youngster got badly hurt or killed at a match, lawyers and the media would have a field day... is it worth it? I think not.

+1 What does race/ethnicity have to do with being robust?

He is asian so his physical built is not as robust as a caucasian. But its just me, YMMV.

Say what?

Generally, it has. If you have been to an asian country, and you are caucasian, as I assume you are, most probably you could easily appear a towering figure there. Most caucasians are taller/bigger than most asians.

To me mental maturity and physical attributes to handle the blast and recoil of a major cal gun should be the topmost consideration. Kids having smaller builds can hardly grip the handle of the gun (as in the video) that it could hurt them w/ continuous use. Above 12yo is good enough for me, but still to be seen and tested in the range.

BTW, robust=big to me

Edited by BoyGlock

We do not allow kids under 12 to shoot at my club and they have to have their firearms safety certificate too. I am all for kids shooting with their parents but not under match pressure. No matter how safe we try to make this sport, it's still very dangerous. Just think of what would happen if a youngster got badly hurt or killed at a match, lawyers and the media would have a field day... is it worth it? I think not.

match pressure?? 12?

If you have been to an asian country, and you are caucasian, as I assume you are, most probably you could easily appear a towering figure there. Most caucasians are taller/bigger than most asians.

Not wanting to get into a race "race". (That's funny) But I have to agree. I did a year in Korea and they are small people. I was into golf that year and we would pair up with them on the course and they were quite impressed with our golfing ability as far as distance off the tee. Every time we would hit a ball you could hear them in the background. AAWWWW!!

The sad part is when you step off the plane back in the states after a year everybody here looks well.... fat. Me included!cheers.gif