Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape question

KentG

Id like to put on some grip tape on the new 5.25. I see Dawson offers precut ones as does Powder River. How long do they last before they start to peel or do they last quite a while.

I think Springer used a Dawson pre-cut on mine, it's about worn out after 1500 rounds. I'm going to order a TruGrip from EricW for a regular XD, I know it won't fit perfectly but I need a solution that includes the backstrap (the Dawson and PR versions don't seem to offer this). I've always been happy with TruGrip on Glocks, I'm sure I can make it work OK fitting the XD set on an XDM.

I'll chime in a week or so after I've got them fitted.

http://www.x-tremegrips.com/ This is the one that PRP sells. I have them on all my XDM's and they hold up very well. The ones on my my 4.5 9mm are about a year old and have around 2K rounds thru it. There not as grippy as new, but still work well. No problems with coming loose on any of them. Highly Recommended

http://www.x-tremegrips.com/ This is the one that PRP sells. I have them on all my XDM's and they hold up very well. The ones on my my 4.5 9mm are about a year old and have around 2K rounds thru it. There not as grippy as new, but still work well. No problems with coming loose on any of them. Highly Recommended

Actually last month we bought the company Xtremegrips. The grips hold up quite well. I change mine out about once a year on my production gun (xdm 9mm) but they usually are doing just fine when I change them.

Congrats on the purchase, Daniel. I bought one set direct from them as your web store didn't show them in stock. Glad to see you will be handling them direct. It's an excellent product.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the TruGrip on my XDM. I used the XD version and it fits well enough for my purposes (but not perfect). The backstrap coverage is excellent for my needs. I sent EricW an email asking for an updated design for the XDM and he said it's in the works.

The Xtreme grips tore on the frontstrap area for me. I only had 2 matches on the Xtreme grips and a couple of dozen dryfire sessions. That's the first I've read about this happening on these grips, so maybe I was just unlucky.

I use grips from www.tractiongrips.com

I like them a lot, I have the sand on my XD9 Tac for competition and the rubber on my XD9sc for carry. Works really well, also, been through the rain without issue.

I am planning on putting the tape on tonight or tomorrow and wondered what was the preferred method to clean and prep the lower before install. I have alcohol wipes I was planning to use.

Edited by tnek

I bought stair tread tape and it has not worn out after 10+ years and thousands of rounds and hasn't come off! Had to throw the rest of the roll out because the glue dried up.

Richard

Edited by chirpy

• 6 months later...

Rich at Canyon Creek has an epoxy grip treatment that is supposed to be pretty good. Stands to reason it would hold up better than adhesive backed tape.

It is. I handled it at SS Nats, and it's comfortable and solid. Unfortunately, it's not Production legal, as far as I can tell.

Rich at Canyon Creek has an epoxy grip treatment that is supposed to be pretty good. Stands to reason it would hold up better than adhesive backed tape.

It is. I handled it at SS Nats, and it's comfortable and solid. Unfortunately, it's not Production legal, as far as I can tell.

False.

Appendix D4, subsection 21.4, (page 79):

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

False.

Appendix D4, subsection 21.4, (page 79):

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

But 22.2 says you can't change the factory profile of the grip. What I don't know (I'll have to ask John Amidon) is whether filling the voids constitutes changing the grip profile.

"Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling."

Anything one does to a grip could be considered "chang[ing] the factory profile". "Glue and grit" is specifically addressed in 21.4 and allowed, as I quoted.

I have the whole 4p 5.25 from CC which includes the grip. Rich says production legal so it must be so. I trust him since he is not just a smith but a shooter too. On the grip, it is very aggressive so no for the person with sensitive hands.

"Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling."

Anything one does to a grip could be considered "chang[ing] the factory profile". "Glue and grit" is specifically addressed in 21.4 and allowed, as I quoted.

Glue is not the same as epoxy filling in the voids in the grip. All deference to Rich as a great smith and shooter, I'd like to hear from NROI before that. 22.2 was put in for a reason and modifies 21.4.

The text of 22.2 reads:

Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

There's a huge distinction between adding material to change the factory profile of the grips and material added that incidentally changes the factory profile. Although the text of 22.2 would seem to disallow any change in the factory profile, it's pretty clear that 21.4 allows for the incidental change. That's what's at issue with Rich's (and others') grip texture application.

This is the kind of thing 22.2 disallows with respect to "grip and glue": http://www.doublealpha.biz/gun-accessories/grip-customization/grip-customization-kit

*sighs*

you do realize, don't you, that 22.2 came along after 21.4? I think I'll wait until I hear back from John Amidon, thanks. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly post it, but I want to be sure before I make a permanent alteration to my gun-and John is a much more authoritative source than are you.

Edited by frag316

*sigh*

Noscitur a sociis.

And where do you get that 22.2 "came along" after 21.4?

From the 2004 Rulebook:

20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

20.1 Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of standard magazines offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted.

20.2 Aftermarket sights of the same type and kind offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.

20.3 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

From the 2008 Rulebook, Appendix D4:

21 Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

•Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix E4)

22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features

•Grips - Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

So, again: noscitur a sociis (and the "Whole Act" rule).

By all means, let us know when Amidon directs you to 21.4, or "clarifies" that you cannot build up an area to change the grip profile.

Factory profile would be the general shape of the grip, not the surface texture in this case. Making finger groves or a palm swell would be a profile change, removing excessive material would change the profile also. If a gun comes with finger grooves and they are removed that would be a change in the profile and would be illegal. The word glue is a simple term for products like epoxy, adhesive, cement(not concrete), and others for adhering texture material.

Rich

Factory profile would be the general shape of the grip, not the surface texture in this case. Making finger groves or a palm swell would be a profile change, removing excessive material would change the profile also. If a gun comes with finger grooves and they are removed that would be a change in the profile and would be illegal. The word glue is a simple term for products like epoxy, adhesive, cement(not concrete), and others for adhering texture material.

Rich

Maybe not the voice of god (John A) but at least someone who talks to him on a regular basis. Thanks Rich