Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape question

KentG

[edit]

In other news, I got a reply from John Amidon. I've asked him for clarification, because I want to be sure, but here's the answer I got from him this afternoon:

Kent,

If it fills in the grip area and thus changing the profile of the factory

produced profile, it would violate 22.2 of appendix D4.

John Amidon

VP USPSA

Director NROI

And here's what I sent him to ask the question:

John,

I was wondering if an epoxy treatment filling in the voids of the grip of an XDm would violate section 22.2 of Appendix D4. What I mean is Rich at Canyon Creek Custom has a grip treatment where he puts a gritty epoxy into the gaps of an XDm 5.25 grip. Because it fills in the gaps and changes it from the original configuration, I was worried it would be illegal. I had contemplated doing it, but didn't want to wind up shooting Limited Minor with the gun if it was illegal.

Thanks,

Kent

Rich--I guess I'd toss the question to you--do you have correspondence saying otherwise? Or did I ask the question incorrectly?

Edited by Flexmoney
out of context with referenced posts removed

He answered the question you asked, but I do not think you asked it in the way to best answer the question you have. We do a similar grip treatment and we sent it to the BOD for Production approval, and they approved it. It is possible to do a grip treatment without changing the profile of the grip. If you remove material, then add it back by the way of grit and epoxy, you aren't really altering the grip any more than applying approved grip tape.

I shoot open in multigun so the division issue does not affect me. The product I bought has been holding up well. There may be other good products but I'm happy.

He answered the question you asked, but I do not think you asked it in the way to best answer the question you have. We do a similar grip treatment and we sent it to the BOD for Production approval, and they approved it. It is possible to do a grip treatment without changing the profile of the grip. If you remove material, then add it back by the way of grit and epoxy, you aren't really altering the grip any more than applying approved grip tape.

I've re-asked the question and sent him a link to a picture of the treatment. I agree I should have asked the question better, that's why I've been following up with him.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong--I want to do the same to my gun.

Well, I sent John Amidon a picture, and he set me straight. I got this today:

Kent,

This would be an OK modification as it does change the profile, any more

than any other stippling.

John

Now I have to look into this for mine. Thanks for the lively discussion.

The thing to remember with the NROI guys, is they will answer the question that you ask, so how you ask a question is important. Many a bad rumor has been started by asking the wrong questions and thinking they understand what you want to know. They are also very generous with their time and expertise and I think we are fortunate to have such a group of dedicated people.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my new prp grips installed, installed the tape on the f front grip grooves, slide groves,thumb grooves, and trigger guards, so much more comfortable now, I didn't install the back plate tape because it just didn't seem to line up nicely at all, but ready to put some rounds through it with the new feel. I ordered them tue night and had them by atleast Friday maybe Thursday ( had priority shipping and didn't get to the po box until Friday), think I'll be placing another order with prp within the next day or 2.

Not to discount any of the fine products made by scott or PRP but have you considered taking a more DIY approach? Skate tape is cheap form any skate shop or Vans store in a mall. I bought a large piece for 5 bucks and then customized my grip tape for me. I was able to apply grip tape to certain places so that when i feel it i know my grip is in the right place. Plus at least for me there was some level of personal satisfaction in doing it myself and making it my own.

Why not use quality skateboard tape? It comes in 12" x 24" pieces in various grits and costs $5 at the local skate shop. I used a heavy brown paper grocery bag to cut a template, traced it onto the back of the skate tape and cut it out with my wife's kitchen shears. If you clean the grip with acetone using a lint-less cloth it will stick better. I bound everything up with a couple of big rubberbands, warmed it with a hairdryer and then let it cool over night. The tape isn't coming off without some effort. If you keep gun solvents off, it seems to hold up for a season.